Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Possibly flying from one “hot spot” to another.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

We have an important event to attend in a few weeks. We booked our flights months in advance.

The flights are from one C19 “hotspot” city to another C19 “hotspot” city. We don’t live in the departing city, nor are we staying anywhere near the destination city.

My wife is concerned about transiting these areas. I just want to fly to avoid 18 hours of driving each way with small kids.

We have the following options:

1. Try and rebook with different origin/destinations but likely at a major cost to us.
2. Drive.
3. Travel as planned.
4. Not travel at all.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
4, always 4.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is the important event, and where is it? The answer to those questions may determine whether the event is cancelled or if you will be be able to get there (or back). Flight schedules around the world are very fluid at the moment. You have been following the news not to travel or congregate, right?
ajGoes and jjmadison like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:54 am

So, if a place is a hot spot, and you have an event, then ... Why are you worried about transiting?
If you attend the event then wouldn't you be exposed anyway?

I guess you are going from NYC to NOLA?
ajGoes and jjmadison like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: Free agent
Cancel your flights, stay home.
vincewy, cab747, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:25 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
4 is definitely the safest, but if you're still considering going then wait a week or two longer and then decide.

So much can change between now and then that our answers and your options may be completely different.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is the important event, and where is it? The answer to those questions may determine whether the event is cancelled or if you will be be able to get there (or back). Flight schedules around the world are very fluid at the moment. You have been following the news not to travel or congregate, right?
Sibling's wedding. Been planned for months.

They've cancelled the rehearsal dinner, official ceremony, and reception. They'd like parents and siblings to attend a ceremony in their home. 12 folks maximum.

We'd by flying MSY-DTW but we live 3 hours from MSY and the ceremony is 2 hours from DTW. Like the original post said, we'd be transiting through the airports in the hot-spots, but not staying in either hot-spot city.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
These are indeed unfortunate times, and it really is a shame that this impacts such important events. I'm sure they've looked into postponing it etc, so I would probably go but take some pretty careful precautions. Also, it would not surprise me if flights become increasingly disrupted making it harder to get there/home. Good luck.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:04 am

Travelling and possibly spreading the virus for a small ceremony for 12 people is absolutely not worth it.

SO and I already postponed our wedding for a year so I can sympathize with your sibling.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Travelling and possibly spreading the virus for a small ceremony for 12 people is absolutely not worth it.

SO and I already postponed our wedding for a year so I can sympathize with your sibling.
Hey your username is one hotspot to another!
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Hey your username is one hotspot to another!
That's why I've cancelled all my travel!
JetBunny and financialhippie like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:39 am

Stay home. I am missing my brothers wedding, they also cancelled all the stuff around it. This is not the time to travel. Use zoom or facetime to tune in and celebrate.
Larrude, JetBunny, radonc1 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: null
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Sibling's wedding. Been planned for months.

They've cancelled the rehearsal dinner, official ceremony, and reception. They'd like parents and siblings to attend a ceremony in their home. 12 folks maximum.

We'd by flying MSY-DTW but we live 3 hours from MSY and the ceremony is 2 hours from DTW. Like the original post said, we'd be transiting through the airports in the hot-spots, but not staying in either hot-spot city.
You should stay home and they should postpone the event, even with "only" 12 people. Any of the 12 can infect everyone else. All it takes is one asymptomatic carrier and the party is ruined. And with elderly parents among the 12, the results can be catastrophic.

Not to mention the practical logistic problems that may result. The travel situation is still very fluid right now. And while a domestic travel ban is unlikely, just be aware that any sudden bans or cancellations or quarantines will leave you in limbo.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
You should stay home and they should postpone the event, even with "only" 12 people. Any of the 12 can infect everyone else. All it takes is one asymptomatic carrier and the party is ruined. And with elderly parents among the 12, the results can be catastrophic.

Not to mention the practical logistic problems that may result. The travel situation is still very fluid right now. And while a domestic travel ban is unlikely, just be aware that any sudden bans or cancellations or quarantines will leave you in limbo.
Can't say it any better than this X100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.