QR to seek State Aid

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
QR to seek State Aid

Hi All

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...-state-support

Seems that QR has a bit of a cash flow problem (and I guess the investment into IAG wasn't perfectly timed) but in the end the State will come to the rescue....
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronav...-state-support

Seems that QR has a bit of a cash flow problem (and I guess the investment into IAG wasn't perfectly timed) but in the end the State will come to the rescue....
Yes! The sky is falling! We could die today- or in our sleep.
Is anyone out there being positive and optimistic? Someone's opinion is just that - theirs. Just like my belly button - it is ONLY MINE.
Be optimistic folks. The opinion writer has no more "inside information" than you or I have.
Get positive folks and get on with living. Got it?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may well run out of cash. But, it will not be permitted to fail in the sense that it will be bailed out.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:57 pm

You might as well ask the next person you see on the street about QR's financial position - you will probably get just an accurate answer, and definitely a less biased one, than linking to a UAE media outlet (at least when it comes to anything Qatari).
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Top of climb
You might as well ask the next person you see on the street about QR's financial position - you will probably get just an accurate answer, and definitely a less biased one, than linking to a UAE media outlet (at least when it comes to anything Qatari).
The article simply suggests the airline is running out of cash, which seems a pretty solid assumption. Even hitherto profitable carriers, with fleets currently grounded, are asking for assistance.

But the article also recognises the airline will not fail, it will get cash in one form or another from the government.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
It appears to have been a phone interview with Al Baker himself, who probably knows a bit about QR's financial position.
msm2000uk and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Every single airline is running out of cash, r already has, and is calling for State aid.
The position of "official" flag carriers like QR or AF might be more assured though. However, the bill to restart the economies will be gigantic. Oil price at 20$ will help many economies, but not Qatar.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Here is a link to the Reuter article, in which AAB appears to suggest that the airline will need to seek State Aid.

Whether right or wrong, QR is one of the very few airlines still flying, which arguably should be praised.

Reuters

M
tmac100 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Here is a link to the Reuter article, in which AAB appears to suggest that the airline will need to seek State Aid.

Whether right or wrong, QR is one of the very few airlines still flying, which arguably should be praised.

Reuters

M
AAB seems to give interviews everywhere. I just watched him on BBC news. He is indeed saying that all airlines, including QR, need State aid.

And praise to QR for flying and repatriating people in so many places of the world, hoping that QR staff will not pay a heavy health price.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:56 am

There is a precisely 0% chance that QR would ever be allowed to go under.
tmac100, Goaguy and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
AAB seems to give interviews everywhere. I just watched him on BBC news. He is indeed saying that all airlines, including QR, need State aid.

And praise to QR for flying and repatriating people in so many places of the world, hoping that QR staff will not pay a heavy health price.
I flew back early from BKK on QR last week. The fantastic crew member serving me in J was really worried about her health. Told me that staff were all pretty spooked about working at the moment.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:18 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by wyddfa
I flew back early from BKK on QR last week. The fantastic crew member serving me in J was really worried about her health. Told me that staff were all pretty spooked about working at the moment.
I know from a number of different QR crewmembers, that their safety is being very closely monitored.

They have temperature checks a number of times per day, irrespective of flying.

If they are rostered on, they have health checks on leaving crew village, then on arrival at the airport, then prior to boarding the aircraft, again midf-light (temperature check), and again on landing.

All crewmembers who operate to countries with reported cases, are immediately sent to crew village for 14 days quarantine before being allowed to operate another flight.

Now to be fair to other airlines, BA for example, they are doing likewise if indeed they're still flying.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 7:36 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
QR already get state aid & have done forever. Obviously. No news here other than the boss has "admitted" he will now ask for it. LOL.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by NoY
QR already get state aid & have done forever. Obviously. No news here other than the boss has "admitted" he will now ask for it. LOL.
True, it's his professional CEO whining. Being one of the few airlines still running should help QR with load factors and bellyholds to be full to the brim with cargo at highly increased tariffs. And his pure cargo fleet seems to be utilized to the max to make a fortune with it right now. So there shouldn't be a much worse difference financially than in normal times.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
All crewmembers who operate to countries with reported cases, are immediately sent to crew village for 14 days quarantine before being allowed to operate another flight.

M
So since pretty much every country in the world now has reported cases, is it fair to say essentially all crew operate their flights and then immediately quarantine for 2 weeks? I hope crew get extra/hazard pay since this sounds like a pretty awful deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.