Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I fly this ticket / great rate / during COVID-19? (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM, 1MM; Alaska Gold 100K

Although I would not attempt this trip under cuurent circumstances, I was curious as what would happen if as a lowly FO, 1MM, I attempted to book JFK-SFO for 3/28 (same-day return), the day before (3/27). Delta.com returned "upgrade available" for both Comfort and Delta One for under $400. I thought I would never see this in my lifetime.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:07 pm

Go to the gate and you would probably get the upgrade for free.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Go to the gate and you would probably get the upgrade for free.
I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
I had booked a 4 corners trip to MCO:
CHA-ATL-JFK-LAX-SEA-SLC-MCO, then MCO-ATL-CHA return....for $500.

JFK-LAX had 30 D1 seats available, all other flights had 15+ FC seats available sans SLC-MCO with only 7.
Most likely I would have been upgraded on all legs (SLC-MCO was the wildcard)

But after hearing about getting 5 boxed meals and only water, I pocketed that trip for a direct (via ATL) to MCO.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=pgh234;32240045]I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.[/QUOTE
Pre-virus for domestic flts. in d1 and "regular" fc on DL as well as on AA--IMHO the cheese and fruit plate is a better option than their "normal" meals.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Delta One LAX-BOS - worth it for $548?

I'm targeting DL 1032 LAX-BOS overnight flight. It's a 757-200 and the seating chart is definitely Delta One for $548. Is this a good deal? Would it basically be like paying $548 to sleep? I've heard great things about Delta One - would I miss a lot if I slept the whole time?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
I'm targeting DL 1032 LAX-BOS overnight flight. It's a 757-200 and the seating chart is definitely Delta One for $548. Is this a good deal? Would it basically be like paying $548 to sleep? I've heard great things about Delta One - would I miss a lot if I slept the whole time?
Only the dinner service would be missed if slept. (Assuming this is far enough out that meal/drink service is back)

If this is within say next month or two, just stick with main cabin. You'll have a row to yourself.
Bikeguy and Graciecatt like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Only the dinner service would be missed if slept. (Assuming this is far enough out that meal/drink service is back)

If this is within say next month or two, just stick with main cabin. You'll have a row to yourself.
thank you. I'm planning 6/16 and hoping for the best. I'll stick with main cabin - I hadn't thought of the row to myself part.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes stick to main cabin and read up on DLs inflight service changes....they’ve made FC so bad I don’t see why anyone would be paying for it in the foreseeable future.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
It might be worth it for the extra MQM and Skybonus points.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pgh234
I believe the free upgrade was available for a "main cabin" round-trip ticket that was under $400.

Keeping in mind you are only going to get water and a snack box.
That's my interpretation too -- that OP meant that "Upgrade Available" was the indication in the eligibility column (hence you would be upgraded as soon as you completed the purchase, more or less, barring any lag/glitches that occur from time to time), not the amount of an FCM offer.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:17 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Not a bad price, would include SkyClub access, which LAX is still open I believe. Would be more comfy in D1 but depends on the economy fare vs D1 spread, and how much that money is worth to you. If it was $100 extra each way, I'd do it, but that's my price point.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Yes stick to main cabin and read up on DLs inflight service changes....they’ve made FC so bad I don’t see why anyone would be paying for it in the foreseeable future.
Even with the almost complete lack of service, you're still getting a better seat, especially in this case, where it's a lie-flat D1 seat vs a coach seat on a red-eye flight. I agree it's not worth as much it would be with the better service, but it's worth more than $0.
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:11 am

Today it's down to $506. Main Cabin (V) $120.80, Comfort+ (S) $203.59, and D1 (Z) $506.84. Sigh. What to do, What to do. I'm not even sure we'll be back to flying by 6/16 and I'm paying cash as I had to change a cash flight I made earlier this year.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Today it's down to $506. Main Cabin (V) $120.80, Comfort+ (S) $203.59, and D1 (Z) $506.84. Sigh. What to do, What to do. I'm not even sure we'll be back to flying by 6/16 and I'm paying cash as I had to change a cash flight I made earlier this year.
It comes down to preference and value. For me, I would jump on that price. I'm 6'7" so for me the more space and comfort totally worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.