Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheapest way to burn a 241?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest way to burn a 241?

I’m trying to plan a trip for the middle of next year and want to use 2 241s. Unfortunately I currently have 2 241s, one of which expires November this year. I’d like to trigger it now so I have 2 that will work next year. Assuming we can’t manage a quick weekend trip somewhere, anyone got any ideas about cheapest (£ and Avios) way to trigger one?

thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You could not use it and spend 0 Avios and 0 pounds.

It's not obvious what you're aiming at. If you go to Amsterdam, Paris, etc. off-peak as a one-way you will pay 4k Avios + £17.50. I don't know if there are any ex-UK RFS options that price below the flat rate for taxes / surcharges.
CloudGazer and orbitmic like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Zone 1 areas in eco 35£ per person plus a couple of thousand pts
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You could not use it and spend 0 Avios and 0 pounds.

It's not obvious what you're aiming at. If you go to Amsterdam, Paris, etc. off-peak as a one-way you will pay 4k Avios + £17.50. I don't know if there are any ex-UK RFS options that price below the flat rate for taxes / surcharges.

You can't start ex-UK on an Amex 2-4-1 it has to be on BA metal and originate in the UK for the voucher to be valid. Open Jaws are valid but originating point needs to be UK. That said INV ( and 1 other place I can't think of right now, others please advise below) is a valid starting point to avoid UK APD
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
You can't start ex-UK on an Amex 2-4-1 it has to be on BA metal and originate in the UK for the voucher to be valid. Open Jaws are valid but originating point needs to be UK. That said INV ( and 1 other place I can't think of right now, others please advise below) is a valid starting point to avoid UK APD
Ex-UK usually means departing the U.K. just as ex-EU means departing Europe. The poster above was suggesting trips departing the U.K. to Paris, AMS, etc.
Soupdragon62 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
I believe that JER is the other.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Louisebook
I’m trying to plan a trip for the middle of next year and want to use 2 241s. Unfortunately I currently have 2 241s, one of which expires November this year. I’d like to trigger it now so I have 2 that will work next year. Assuming we can’t manage a quick weekend trip somewhere, anyone got any ideas about cheapest (£ and Avios) way to trigger one?

thanks!
Trip to Newquay when the route starts? Haha
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA
I have in the past burnt a 2-4-1 to ABZ (before domestic club) to get rid of it and use half Avios on a flight.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Can I gift a 2-4-1? ie., can I book using my points to fly my parents somewhere?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Can I gift a 2-4-1? ie., can I book using my points to fly my parents somewhere?
No. The voucher holder must fly on the 241.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31910647-post9.html
Old Feb 29, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Louisebook

thanks!
Isn't this a nonsense question?

241s are great, but to get any real value need to be used on long haul is Club or First.

You could use them to Paris, but you’ll be saving 50€ at most.

What a waste. Book a couple of F tickets to Tokyo and a save some proper coin

;-)
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I believe that JER is the other.
All our trips obviously start in JER, and I do believe are cheaper than ex-LON ... although I’ve never micro-managed APD etc.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Will100
Isn't this a nonsense question?

241s are great, but to get any real value need to be used on long haul is Club or First.

You could use them to Paris, but you’ll be saving 50€ at most.

What a waste. Book a couple of F tickets to Tokyo and a save some proper coin

;-)
Never had a 241 and never will but I would have thought a saving of any amount is better than nothing? As long you really want to go in the first place right enough....no point otherwise.
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never had a 241 and never will but I would have thought a saving of any amount is better than nothing? As long you really want to go in the first place right enough....no point otherwise.
True. I love Tokyo. :-)
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
I am missing why the OP wants to burn it.
Just let it expire if you are not going to get any value out of it.
of you mean you just want the cheapest short break zone one off peak RFS like others have said you won’t save much ( less of you look at budget carrier options) but you will save a little

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.