Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW - M23 roadworks 29 Feb - 2 Mar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LGW - M23 roadworks 29 Feb - 2 Mar

Just had the following by email from BA. I'm assuming everyone with LGW bookings over the weekend will receive this, but just in case ....
We wanted to let you know that due to planned engineering works affecting the M23 Motorway this weekend, you may need to allow additional time to complete your journey.

From 21:00 on Friday the 28th February to 05:00 on Monday the 02nd March, the M23 Northbound will be closed between junctions 8 Merstham and junction 10 Copthorne.

Exit 9 for Gatwick Airport will be closed to customers travelling Northbound on the M23 and a diversion route will be in place. This may result in delays on local roads in the area as well as delays for customers travelling northbound on the M23.

If you are planning to travel by road to London Gatwick this weekend, we recommend you allow additional time to complete your journey. Further information can be obtained from Highways England — search for M23 Improvement Works.

Check-in for your flight will close 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time for all short-haul flights and 1 hour before the scheduled departure time for all long-haul flights.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
This is in place for every Friday to Monday until late March (I believe).

I saw a flyer about it somewhere, so will try and dig it out.

M
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes until 30 March. There are big signs up inside Gatwick about this, though I wasn't sure whether it really would have much impact. The GAL website has (buried away somewhat) this hyperlink with more details.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/to-an...ing/roadworks/

and the GAL signs in PDF format:
https://www.gatwickairport.com/globa...d-closures.pdf
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:29 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Am sure there will be loads miss their planes though and bleat and moan about it being everyone else's fault but their ownc
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by BOH
Am sure there will be loads miss their planes though and bleat and moan about it being everyone else's fault but their ownc
It's the access onto the M23 from LGW at J9 heading towards London that will be closed. If you are travelling from London towards LGW on the southbound carriageway you will still be able to take J9 to get onto the spur road to LGW airport. I think there may be some congestion leaving the airport. The roadworks have been ongoing since before June last year.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold

Picture taken as the roadworks were starting a couple of months ago, sums it all up
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:51 am

Hi. Hard to estimate but would anyone have an idea of how much extra time I should allow for getting National Express LHR to LGW Sat 7th March, mid morning. Some on this thread appeared to think it just affects Northbound, but it's southbound also depending on which weekend. Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. Hard to estimate but would anyone have an idea of how much extra time I should allow for getting National Express LHR to LGW Sat 7th March, mid morning. Some on this thread appeared to think it just affects Northbound, but it's southbound also depending on which weekend. Thanks.
Doesn't the National Express Coach website have a real time tracker?

Why not track a few tomorrow
around the time you will be travelling

And see how they are running?

Just a thought
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Doesn't the National Express Coach website have a real time tracker?

Why not track a few tomorrow
around the time you will be travelling

And see how they are running?

Just a thought
Because the southbound is open this weekend so it won't give any useful information.

I would guess the diversion will route via the Reigate direction off the M25. I'd certainly be budgeting an extra 30 minutes minimum, or take the train.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:46 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I’m just imagining the sheer hell of driving through Reigate to get back to the M25. That town was always a notorious bottleneck with that level crossing at the bottom of the hill. I think that I’d head towards Horsham and head up the A24 towards Leatherhead.
mikeyfly and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
We are driving down in the morning and back up on the 7th. I couldn’t believe my luck to read we were going to be ok, I’d be factoring in 2 hours extra otherwise.

I feel it’s good karma to call it out when the toast lands the right way up!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave extra early.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Coming from the west side of London/M25, the route through Reigate, although shorter, ads about 10 mins to the journey compared to routing via the M23 at 4am in the morning. I would.inage it will be a lot worse with other local and diverting traffic. Also has a good crop of Surrey's finest potholes and speed cameras on that route.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:38 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
M25 J8 to J10 shut this morning (clockwise) - had me a wee bit worried on the way around as I couldn’t remember the M23 junction number.

Good luck all
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Going to LGW of an evening a few weeks ago the diversion via Reigate on the A217 added about 10 minutes to the journey so it wasn't too bad; I expect the reverse would be similar. That was, obviously, outside rush hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.