Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Rebooking refundable rate day of check-in to get lower price

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold

I have a stay tomorrow that is booked at the Member Rate. I noticed that the rate has dropped from where I’d originally booked. The cancellation policy is 24 hours.

Can I modify the reservation at the lower rate with no penalty? Of course I’d do this by modifying the existing reservation as opposed to cancelling and creating a new reservation.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hp12c
I have a stay tomorrow that is booked at the Member Rate. I noticed that the rate has dropped from where I’d originally booked. The cancellation policy is 24 hours.

Can I modify the reservation at the lower rate with no penalty? Of course I’d do this by modifying the existing reservation as opposed to cancelling and creating a new reservation.
I think you’d have to cancel and rebook.

I’ve tried making modifications several times and it doesn’t let me at all. I wish Hyatt’s interface allowed it as it’d be much easier.

Since its likely over 24 hours since you made the reservation too you can’t do a Best Rate Guarantee change either.

Last edited by Matt4200; Feb 27, 2020 at 10:37 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
You can always ask at check-in. If they know what they are doing (and that is not always the case), they have the flexibility to change the rate.

"Hey, I noticed there is a less expensive rate today for that room. Can you change it to the cheaper rate?"

I guess it is possible that the online rate doesn't show up in their system at the hotel, but I've been successful when I've asked.
hp12c and ZBigFam like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:50 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG

If you do not (edited ...) change the existing reservation I do not see any problem, question is more if the lower rate will show during the process. You may have to select another room type, confirm reservation and change again back to the original room type. I do that regularly, but admit not within the 24 hours.
But there is no reason you should get a penalty, as you are not canceling and reservation number remains.
hp12c likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 28, 2020 at 12:47 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 59Impala
If you change the existing reservation I do not see any problem, question is more if the lower rate will show during the process. You may have to select another room type, confirm reservation and change again back to the original room type. I do that regularly, but admit not within the 24 hours.
But there is no reason you should get a penalty, as you are not canceling and reservation number remains.
If there’s no cancelation penalty I just don’t see a possible reason not to cancel and rebook though it seems easiest. The only scenario in which I’d keep the reservation is if the property pre-confirmed me into a Suite then rebooking it looks like a new reservation and they may allocate it someone else who booked sooner (so to speak). Other than that...
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:49 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by Matt4200
If there’s no cancelation penalty I just don’t see a possible reason not to cancel and rebook though it seems easiest. The only scenario in which I’d keep the reservation is if the property pre-confirmed me into a Suite then rebooking it looks like a new reservation and they may allocate it someone else who booked sooner (so to speak). Other than that...

I meant to write „do not“... have edited my original post.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:51 am

Had a booking for months, two days before check in, rate dropped. Called, had hyatt and had them adjust rate without rebooking, 10 minutes later, noticed it was even lower, called again and they adjusted again.
Jaimito Cartero and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Matt4200
there is a cancellation penalty of one night if you cancel within 24 hours of check-in. That’s what makes me slightly nervous to make any changes. I may just ask at check-in. Thanks for all the advice!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:51 am
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 59Impala
If you do not (edited ...) change the existing reservation I do not see any problem, question is more if the lower rate will show during the process. You may have to select another room type, confirm reservation and change again back to the original room type. I do that regularly, but admit not within the 24 hours.
correct, in order to modify on my mobile device, I have to select a different room type and then modify again back to my original room type.

I agree that there doesn’t seem to be a reason I’d get a penalty. And I suppose that even if I did pay the one-night penalty, it’d really just be the difference between the original rate and the lower rate I changed to (thus effectively taking me back to my original rate). Or at least that’s what I’d argue.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:32 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
there is a cancellation penalty of one night if you cancel within 24 hours of check-in. That’s what makes me slightly nervous to make any changes. I may just ask at check-in. Thanks for all the advice!
Just call ... I've done this many times and there's never been an issue adjusting the rate to the lower amount. Making the change at check-in may work, but I've been told it wasn't possible to make the change at more than one property. I'm sure it could have been done if I escalated to a manager, but the amount I'd have saved wasn't worth aggravating my wife by making her wait to get into the room :-)
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:59 am

I've had success with this through my concierge.
hp12c likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I've had success with this through my concierge.
This is what I did. Concierge updated the price with no issues. Going to check in tonight. Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.