Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K

Am i wrong in feeling this is a dumb waiver?
So if i bought a ticket in January for travel in March
i cant get a waiver but if i buy a ticket now
for same dates i do?
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...odID:Awareness
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by boycruz; Mar 9, 2020 at 11:14 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
They want to make feel people comfortable buying tickets now in the face of uncertainty. They already have your money, so... sorry
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:41 pm

I'm sure if you call and ask nicely then even older tickets will be allowed to be changed. If they demure then say, okay I guess I'll risk going on the flight even though I have some sniffles.
david55 and notquiteaff like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Does this apply to saver fares? Also, is the fare still nonrefundable with the peace of mind waiver?

I think this is a really smart move by Alaska.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:48 pm
formerly ASTechGuy

My guess is that new bookings are tapering off so they're looking for ways to reduce barriers to people booking flights in the near term. It's always about keeping the cash flowing in.
be_rettSEA and WestCoastPDX like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
copying what jetblue is doing.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:15 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
It's a tough call. I am wondering the same thing - as this virus stuff starts hitting. Not sure what the answer is. Airlines are businesses, and suffer form the same fears....I do have even thought about backing off travel in the short term.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ab2013
Does this apply to saver fares? Also, is the fare still nonrefundable with the peace of mind waiver?

I think this is a really smart move by Alaska.
Yes, applies to Saver fares as well. Still non-refundable, but you can change travel plans with no change fees with new travel scheduled by end of year.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:05 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by PacNWFlyer
My guess is that new bookings are tapering off so they're looking for ways to reduce barriers to people booking flights in the near term. It's always about keeping the cash flowing in.
That's exactly what is happening, AS should do the right thing and allow changes for travel period vs booking period.
DaveH, Ukalady, am1108 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Does it apply to award tickets?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
With Amazon now restricting employee travel, Alaska will have to do more to fill seats than waiving change fees for a few days.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:02 pm

Sorry put my query in the wrong thread.

Oops maybe I didn't....
I have a question, I have never had to change my flight on Alaska, but the way the waiver seems to work, am I correct that they collect the change fee on the back-end (when you rebook using the travel wallet credit) or do they take the fee on the front-end (when you cancel the ticket)?

Last edited by HIFlya; Feb 28, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by invalyd
Does it apply to award tickets?
In case others wondering, I contacted AS and award tickets are included.
cocobird and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by HIFlya
Sorry put my query in the wrong thread.

Oops maybe I didn't....
I have a question, I have never had to change my flight on Alaska, but the way the waiver seems to work, am I correct that they collect the change fee on the back-end (when you rebook using the travel wallet credit) or do they take the fee on the front-end (when you cancel the ticket)?
If you booked a ticket within this window, there should be no change fee at all. If you booked a $249 flight... and you need to cancel it, you'll get $249 credit to spend on Alaska at a later time. If you rebook to a different flight, you'll only have to pay the fare difference if the new flight is more expensive. If the new flight is cheaper, not sure... maybe the difference gets stored as a credit?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Yes, applies to Saver fares as well. Still non-refundable, but you can change travel plans with no change fees with new travel scheduled by end of year.
Thanks! (No change fee but fare diff applies?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.