Wiki Posts
Search

Swapping BP Seat with spouse in Econ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANZ Gold
Swapping BP Seat with spouse in Econ

I have a Recognition upgrade that I need to use. If I apply for it on AKL to BNE and I'm successful, what are the chances of Cabin Crew letting my wife take that seat at boarding and I sit in Economy with the kids? Any body tried this?
TIA.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
May or may not be an issue depending on ISM. Ground staff may be able to help you.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I've had no issues with it in premium economy. My partner and I are on an agreement, if we only get one upgrade, we alternate who takes it. At least one of us might as well fly upfront!

I know a couple that take turns and switch during the flight. Kids in economy, one parent in BP, they take turns sitting upfront throughout the flight.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Feb 27, 2020 at 9:07 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
Have done it a few times TT and never been a problem. Normally get a bit of extra attention in Econ for doing so
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by dgwills
I have a Recognition upgrade that I need to use. If I apply for it on AKL to BNE and I'm successful, what are the chances of Cabin Crew letting my wife take that seat at boarding and I sit in Economy with the kids? Any body tried this?
TIA.
Done this on a few airlines including Air NZ. Successful 100% of the time. I just ask on boarding.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Done this on a few airlines including Air NZ. Successful 100% of the time. I just ask on boarding.
Asking the crew at the gate, or after boarding is the right way to go.

Swapping mid-flight on long haul is more debatable - but a simple swap TT is usually trivially easy to arrange.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:40 am

3 years ago, flying from Adelaide to Auckland
My husband had a upgrade to us and was upgraded to Business while me and the kids stayed in economy. We were told we are not allowed to swap seats during the flight and my husband even got told off for visiting us in economy
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:31 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Skyler2718
3 years ago, flying from Adelaide to Auckland
My husband had a upgrade to us and was upgraded to Business while me and the kids stayed in economy. We were told we are not allowed to swap seats during the flight and my husband even got told off for visiting us in economy
did he ask nicely beforehe went to economy ?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Not quite the same but about 4 years ago was travelling with my family back from Hong Kong and I got an upgrade cleared from Y-J. My youngest was at that stage under 2 years old but he had his own seat, yet they let me take him into J as a lap infant. He slept the whole way so didnt bother the other pax. Actually managed to fit both of us lying down and sleeping. Must have been a 777 as doubt that would have worked in the narrower 787!
It of course also meant the ones in Y has a spare seat!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Asking the crew at the gate, or after boarding is the right way to go.

Swapping mid-flight on long haul is more debatable - but a simple swap TT is usually trivially easy to arrange.
Just wondering why it is more of an issue long haul - I have RU for upcoming trip to UK (on LAX to LHR leg) PE to J, and wife might try a one up but I expect is likely to be back in PE so am interested. Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund
Just wondering why it is more of an issue long haul - I have RU for upcoming trip to UK (on LAX to LHR leg) PE to J, and wife might try a one up but I expect is likely to be back in PE so am interested. Thanks.
Flights are a longer and reasonable chance for two ok sleeps. Don't want people swapping instead of buying two seats
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
did he ask nicely beforehe went to economy ?
He did, J class said it was fine for him to visit PE and economy but the economy
flight attendant had no idea of the rules and told him to stop coming over 🤦🏻‍♀️ We made a complaint later on and was told holder of BIZ class fare has free roam of all the cabin but I wouldn’t be allowed in PE or BIZ.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Yeah. On a BP flight from Houston last year, I was at an increased risk of a blood clot. I had to walk around a lot. I asked the flight attendant if I could walk the length of the plane. She hesitated, and told me it was "best to stay within my own cabin." Not a straight no, just a kind please-don't-do-that. I think that they probably dislike it because it might confuse economy pax who think it is within the rules to walk into the BP cabin.
Skyler2718 and Beano like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
This is highly variable. I was also "told off" when visiting my wife in Y (skycouch row with babe).
I did not have "infant in arms" on my ticket and they would not swap the infant over or let her in J which I think was a little harsh (secretly happy).

I am really surprised this was allowed long haul (seat swapping with J/Y), I think its pretty cheeky and wouldn't even attempt it.

Friends of mine (work pays for J) but spouse in Y have had 0% success in doing this TT over 3 attempts.. they stopped asking.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Interesting. I fly to the US frequently to do a trail race (usually PE and use APD / RU to upgrade to J) and I explain to the FA / FSM that I'd need to get up and move around every 2 - 3 hours and stretch and they usually have no issues walking from J - PE - Y & back.
On another situation, I was flying back from HKG, I was in J and friend in PE. I knew they wouldn't let my friend join me for dinner in BP. I was told I could join my friend for dinner in PE but seat next to her was occupied.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.