Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight Attendant Unrestrained in Seat for Landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

LT lurker, first post, but this is so unusual, imo, that I had to share.
Last week, on the last flight of the day from MIA to a Caribbean capital:
It was a 737 (oasis), I was seated up front, with a direct view of the bathroom and the inboard crew seat closest to the galley. When I have this opportunity, I enjoy watching the FA's complete their pre-arrival routine, and I know when they finally sit down and strap in that landing is imminent. I also know that the process of strapping in requires a distinct set of movements after sitting down - reaching across the body and behind the seat to extend the shoulder harness and insert arm, then repeat for other side, then the lap belt and making the 4-point connection, sometimes followed by a little readjustment squirm. Have I got this right so far?
I guess my title gave it away, but even with the cabin and galley lights dimmed I could clearly see that the FA did none of that little dance, he just sat down. In fact, his leaning forward posture checking a phone during arrival also indicated to me that he wasn't restrained.
I can't confidently judge what happened when we parked as the harness is designed to be quick release, but it appeared he stood up pretty quickly with no accompanying "thwack" of the shoulder belts retracting.
"Mitigating," not excusing, factors - last 2 hour leg of the day, arriving at 10pm on a calm night, and he was of large stature (noticed he had to slightly hunch where he stood in the galley during boarding), so the man was probably pretty tired and the harness is uncomfortable.
However, I was pretty horrified. I thought something like this should be reported, either AA or FAA, but it would be his word, from a darkened galley, against mine, so I thought it might be more satisfying putting it out here.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Fortunately, the forward jumpseat faces a wall. So if he did fly out, he'd whack into that without causing harm to anyone else.

So stupid, but self-harmingly so. Meh
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:21 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk (posting)!Odd to see a FA take that approach, though there were probably a number of your buddies facing the other way similarly unbound. Not every teacher is actually a student of the course they teach.

Last edited by xooz; Feb 25, 2020 at 5:58 pm
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I do appreciate the jaded responses from veteran FT'ers, and have greatly empathized over the endured indignities of a PDB not received, or, worse yet, not properly iced, but occasionally airplanes break in an unexpected manner. A large disabled man sprawled in the galley might, just might, impede a speedy egress should the need arise.
BadgerBoi and on-a-stick like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Interesting series of posts so far, but xooz is probably right that there are a few passengers that have not belted themselves in - which is a far worse problem.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by scott429
I do appreciate the jaded responses from veteran FT'ers, and have greatly empathized over the endured indignities of a PDB not received, or, worse yet, not properly iced, but occasionally airplanes break in an unexpected manner. A large disabled man sprawled in the galley might, just might, impede a speedy egress should the need arise.
Have you let AA know about this egregious violation of the safety rules? Why would you expect anything else other than a jaded response from FT after lurking for years? If it's important enough to post, then it should be important enough to notify AA.
757FO likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if I'm alone, but the titillating headline led me to believe a very different tale would be told.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I thought this was going to be about a FA they had to cart off to the mental ward.
larreajoe, jhartvu and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by scott429
I thought something like this should be reported,
So what did they say when you reported it?
LondonElite, enviroian and jhartvu like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I mean the OP no disrespect, and I know that we as FTers are rather detail oriented people, but why were you staring at the FA? Seems a little strange to me. Do other people do this?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I am in the disappointed camp. I had already prepared the popcorn before I started reading, with expectation of a flight attendant careening off the rails on a crazy train. Not sure what I'm going to do with this popcorn now.
aamilesslave and larreajoe like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Fortunately, the forward jumpseat faces a wall. So if he did fly out, he'd whack into that without causing harm to anyone else.

So stupid, but self-harmingly so. Meh
Actually, my concern upon seeing this would not be his level of injury. But the fact if he were to be injured, it would definitely hinder his ability to lead an evacuation of the aircraft should that aircraft inadvertenly slide off the runway, or such. How many times have we heard them tell us that "they are here for the primary purpose of your safety"?
on-a-stick and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, Etihad Guest, Velocity Plat, Qantas Plat.
On every flight these days a number of pax don't feel the need to belt up, many have phones on the go with email, internet etc. I am becoming a bit blase about these things to be honest.
I am however impressed (or concerned) at the OP's attention to detail re the FA's specific movements, or lack of.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
if you dont wear a seat belt.. and are in an accident.. well we all know what might/will happen...
I am sure the FA, might or may have had a reason, I am yet to see or pay attention , as to if a FA has seat belts on...
but that is just me.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:01 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Lol the usual inspects in the peanut gallery.

should be in a general travel forum? Probably happens a lot on all airlines?

reporting it would be prudent. Best case scenario is the FAs get more training. They are here for safety after all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.