Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

French Riviera: Alternatives to FS Cap Ferrat in March

Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

I have a weekend trip to Nice booked for March 20-22 and I was really looking forward to trying the Four Seasons Cap Ferrat. But unfortunately, their “beach club” (outdoor pool and restaurant) are closed for renovation until the beginning of April and I’ve heard the hotel is rather boring otherwise since there’s literally nothing around (only private residences hidden behind tall walls and bushes).

Can you recommend any other nice hotels, ideally with a heated outdoor pool?
It would be nice if there was something to see nearby (some restaurants etc.), but it’s not a must.
A good spa would be a plus.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
We had a great stay at the Chateau St Martin recently. It isn’t on the water but up in the hills. I assume they will be open for the season by then? They have a great spa and a lovely pool. It is very close to the lovely town of Venice and about 20-30 minutes from Nice.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking
We had a great stay at the Chateau St Martin recently. It isn’t on the water but up in the hills. I assume they will be open for the season by then? They have a great spa and a lovely pool. It is very close to the lovely town of Venice and about 20-30 minutes from Nice.
I second this suggestion - Château St Martin is superb. Take one of their private hillside villas - we think they are stunning! Food is much better than Cap Ferrat too. Also, the pool being heated at Cap Ferrat is a bit of ruse - it is - but to French standard (aka cold). I swam in it once in March but it was freezing. Even in August it is colder than we keep our pool in winter!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Looks nice, but they’re only open from May through October. :/
Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Cap Ferrat has also a nice indoor pool. For only 2 nights I can´t see it´s getting boring. If you wonna go outside for excample Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild is near by and a great spot, also Villa Kérylos. Don´t know it but very near by is Villa Santo Sospir. If the weather is nice you can also use the walk along the beach. I would stay with FS.
Regarding beach club: Restaurant is only for lunch anyway and the pool is nice but nothing you can spend the whole day. Also don´t expect beach weather. The ocean is definitively not swimable at this time and if you wonna enjoy the sun you can also do it in the garden.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Ok, maybe we’ll just do one night at the FS to check it out and then do a second night at either Chateau Eza or Hotel Martinez for Hyatt nights.
Villa Kérylos looks very nice, a bit like Domaine du Rayol (which we loved).

We’ve gone on weekend trips in the area a couple times and we generally enjoy just exploring the area. We’re a young couple.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Ok, maybe we’ll just do one night at the FS to check it out and then do a second night at either Chateau Eza or Hotel Martinez for Hyatt nights.
Villa Kérylos looks very nice, a bit like Domaine du Rayol (which we loved).

We’ve gone on weekend trips in the area a couple times and we generally enjoy just exploring the area. We’re a young couple.
Do you have a car? In this case possibilities are nearly unlimited.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Yes, we always rent a car, so anywhere within 1-2 hours’ driving from Nice is fine.
We also like smaller villages in the mountains like Mougins and it doesn’t have to be super luxurious all the time.
Just this time I figured we’d try the FS because the rates are so low in March. It was just sad to see that the pool will be closed... So I thought maybe there’s a better alternative.
We’re not the type that spends the whole day at the hotel. I just appreciate a good breakfast and my girl-friend loves a good spa. And the FS pool looked spectacular.
It’s sad that the rates at Chateau Eza are extremely inflated when booking through Hyatt. Might be better to just have a coffee there and stay at Martinez.
Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Anyone been to Hotel Royal Riviera (LHW) or Chateau Eza (SLH)?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Honestly I can't see a real problem. I also doubt Martinez comes even close to FS Cap Ferrat. If you wonna do 2 hotels do it. But in my eyes the closed pool will not make your stay boring. Monaco and Nice are both a short drive.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:42 am

If you stay at FS you should also check out Villefranche-sur-mer. Restaurant La Mere Germaine has a great dover sole.

We stayed at the FS 2 summers ago at the end of multi-week French road trip. The rates were high but it was a bucket list hotel of ours. The pool was outstanding and my wife really enjoyed the spa. Le Cap was quite good but I think that's only available during peak season. Overall fun to stay there but not sure if I would return.

Driving around the south of France isn't the easiest but there's lots to see and do if you have a car.
katesy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:17 am

I was going to suggest La Réserve Ramatuelle, as it is very close to St Tropez, so full of things to do, but as with many Riviera properties, it does not open until mid April.

March is quite chilly for this part of the world, so even if the pools are heated, I would not swim. That is why many hotels do pool repairs at this time of year.

I am not a fan of Royal Riviera - a good four-star in my view. Château Eza is up in the hills and is quite claustrophobic. Once you have explored Eze itself, you will not find a huge amount to do, apart from nearby art galleries etc.

If you are considering a hotel that is not on the coast, like Château Eza, then Chèvre d'Or is another option - also in Eze and somewhat nicer, despite the hard beds, which are endemic in this part of the world, unless you stay at Four Seasons or La Réserve.
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions!

I think we'll go for the FS just to finally stay there because the rates are so good, and then if we're happy we'll return when the pool is operative again.
But I definitely want to stay somewhere else for the second night. I have made some more research (this post was very useful, though the photos don't work anymore):

Properties that are open in March:
Lily of the Valley: near St. Tropez, modern, outdoor pool, seaviews, focus on spa, boutique
Royal Riviera: modern, heated pool, less luxurious, 50min massage for 2 via Amex FHR
Château Eza: dark rooms, old style, not much around, nice views
Château de la Chèvre d'Or: traditional luxury, Eze, high up, nice views
La Reserve de Beaulieu: traditional luxury, outdoor pool (looks similar to FS Cap Ferrat)
Hotel du Castellet: contemporary style, not quite as luxurious, up in the mountains, quite far away (Northwest of Toulon)
Hotel Martinez Cannes: I would earn a Hyatt night, modern, renovated, in Cannes (so probably more to do)

Properties that are still closed:
Cap Estel: traditional luxury, outdoor pool, ocean front property
Le Saint Paul: in the mountains, boutique, traditional luxury
Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc: traditional luxury, ocean front property
La Réserve Ramatuelle: near St. Tropez, modern style, seaviews, but not on the beach
Château Saint-Martin: in the mountains
Le Mas de Pierre: Closed for renovation, will reopen under a new name

Of those hotels, I think that Chèvre d'Or and Lily of the Valley look best. Maybe also La Reserve de Beaulieu (people seem to love it, but it doesn't look that great in the photos?).
Which would you pick?
I guess it would probably make the most sense to stay somewhat in the area - so probably Chèvre d'Or or La Reserve de Beaulieu would be the best choice.
sandeep.thilakan likes this.

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Feb 26, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I've done site inspections of both. You can read those reviews here:

fifteen luxury hotels on the Cote d'Azur
xooz likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I found your great post, linked to it even in my last comment. Unfortunately the photo links are broken.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.