Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losing status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Losing status

So after 10 years, basically my whole working life, it is finally about to happen. A country/job change meant that despite flying more than ever (17 so far in 2020) the flights are now all short haul Y around Europe. I was already on Silver last year and will drop to Brown next month. Any tips on how to make the whole experience more bearable when you can't just run from check in to lounge to exit row?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 1010101
So after 10 years, basically my whole working life, it is finally about to happen. A country/job change meant that despite flying more than ever (17 so far in 2020) the flights are now all short haul Y around Europe. I was already on Silver last year and will drop to Brown next month. Any tips on how to make the whole experience more bearable when you can't just run from check in to lounge to exit row?
Either Priority Pass, Amex Platinum, or treat yourself to a cheap Ex-EU Qatar J return to Asia in the near future.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I could send you a bunch of flowers to ease the transition. Otherwise, heavy drinking might ease the pain.

But you do have my sympathy, honest, Guv’nor.
acucobol likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
...flying more than ever (17 so far in 2020) the flights are now all short haul Y around Europe.
Long shot perhaps, but are these all BA flights?

I'm guessing they are probably not, but if they were and you continue to fly at your current rate, then just hang tight for a bit 33 more flights - which would be 100 more days or so at your current rate - and BA will give you back your Silver for having completed 50 flights.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Long shot perhaps, but are these all BA flights?

I'm guessing they are probably not, but if they were and you continue to fly at your current rate, then just hang tight for a bit 33 more flights - which would be 100 more days or so at your current rate - and BA will give you back your Silver for having completed 50 flights.
Except that the OP drops to Bronze (Brown) in the near future so the counter for the economy flights also resets to zero. So a bit more than 33 flights to go.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The other alternative is to switch to another loyalty programme which is better suited to your flying patterns. TK perhaps.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Brown
The_Editor and Winnie1 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by AJA_
Except that the OP drops to Bronze (Brown) in the near future so the counter for the economy flights also resets to zero. So a bit more than 33 flights to go.
Ah yes, of course, I skimmed the OP too quickly Thanks for pointing that out

Starting from scratch, it would of course be 50 flights, taken at an average of 1 every 3 days, that's going to take 5 months to amass, give or take. Not quite so good, but still better than nothing, would get Silver for remaining 7 months + following year. All dependent on them being BA flights of course

Also, I thought it was "Rust"
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The other alternative is to switch to another loyalty programme which is better suited to your flying patterns. TK perhaps.
Without knowing the OP’s starting point it’s difficult to judge.

Does TK have an extensive European network? I have no idea, but ....
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
17 European SH flights could be as few as 85 TP in ET or as much as 680 in CE if all 40 TP flights and 1360 if 80 TP flights

I too have most of my flying on SH European. A couple of upgrades to CE and a holiday or two to a long haul destination and you will be close to silver.
Also, if it helps, 30 segments on Lufthansa will get you their FTL status currently , so turn 17 direct in 17 connecting flights via FRA and you have 34 flights which will get you lounge access in LHR, FRA, MUC, VIE, WAW, and ZRH, maybe some others

I also have Priority pass which helps when I fly on an M&M airline from somewhere that they use a 3rd party lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Isn't this a case where a tier point run of sorts (AUP to CE or just finagle a couple of longer CE trips) to get yourself back to Silver quickly makes sense?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
POUG some of those short-hauls and it'll soon happen. Book the less loaded flights to places like AMS (mid-afternoon often works) and a POUG is highly probably. See the relevant thread for more details.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Bronze: still get priority check in, still get seat selection before the rest of the world. Go to the airport, check in at the club desks, go and have a meal and a drink on expenses (loads better than GC), board group 3.

It's not all that bad.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Get a lounge pass of some description and fly with whichever airline is most convenient.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Enjoy the freedom of not spending an inordinate amount of time trapped in pressurised aluminium tube.

I was gold or platinum for more than a decade, then had a change of jobs which required almost no flying. Now I'm back in a job that requires roughly one flight a month, either long-haul or short-haul, and frankly couldn't give 2 fifths of frack all which alliance the airline offering the best itinerary belongs to. It's all about timing, convenience, transfer airport, aircraft type and what suits me best, not a mad scramble harvesting miles and status by choosing obscene routings and having to endure crap airports or the 777.

PS
I reside in Europe where complimentary upgrades simply doesn't happen.
ppp909, argonath and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.