Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

I didn't realize I had moved to Afghanistan!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

I was going over my upcoming reservations, just to make sure everything was in order, all were fine...except one, and I have no idea why, instead of my correct address, had Address: XX XX Afghanistan. Why? I made that reservation the same as all the others, my name, HH number, etc. are all correct. I don't think it's a big deal, rather funny in fact, just wondering if it is something that might be tied to another member who actually is in Afghanistan?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I was going over my upcoming reservations, just to make sure everything was in order, all were fine...except one, and I have no idea why, instead of my correct address, had Address: XX XX Afghanistan. Why? I made that reservation the same as all the others, my name, HH number, etc. are all correct. I don't think it's a big deal, rather funny in fact, just wondering if it is something that might be tied to another member who actually is in Afghanistan?
You're probably right and there is nothing to be concerned about but it might be a good time to check your Hilton account and also change your password.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:43 am

Alphabetically, Afghanistan is the first country in the world. I suspect you've simply run into a situation where your address wasn't populated correctly for some reason and the country defaulted to the first one on the list... Afghanistan.

Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/lis...ntries-1993160
ktllo and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Alphabetically, Afghanistan is the first country in the world. I suspect you've simply run into a situation where your address wasn't populated correctly for some reason and the country defaulted to the first one on the list... Afghanistan.

Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/lis...ntries-1993160
You may be right. When I put XX XX above it was not because I didn't want to reveal my address, it was because the reservation literally showed "XX XX Afghanistan", so it does sound like a default. But I think I just might change my password, too, haven't done it in a while.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
how is the weather there?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Hot and dry
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:53 pm

Hot and dry
Technically, it's neither hot nor dry.

And for the majority of the world that uses Celsius:

Images/Data courtesy Bing.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Who knew?

But hey Writerflguy, what do you think the reason is for my question (I know you did/do work in hotels)? And why just this one reservation when all the others have accurate information?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I wonder if the address on the reservation does not tie to your Honors account if they would have grounds to deny you the points.

Could be a hotel doing screwy things to not have to give points.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

OMG the fix has been so simple I'm embarrassed. This was under my reservation where it said "guest information". I simply hit Change, and put in the correct address. Done.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
On my Hilton reservations, I have sometimes seen my address get changed to Canada instead of the U.S. I've edited it to correct the problem, then later I've seen it revert to Canada. On my Hilton Honors account, it shows "US" in my address, never Canada.

No idea why/how this happens. But maybe it'll make the OP feel better that these weird things happen to other Hilton customers as well.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:49 am

But hey Writerflguy, what do you think the reason is for my question (I know you did/do work in hotels)? And why just this one reservation when all the others have accurate information?
For the record, I never worked at a Hilton-branded hotel. But, I concur with CXYYZ's guess that it was Afghanistan because that's the first country in the list.

As to why your actual address didn't get downloaded with the reservation, I'd guess it was a simple technical issue. While tons of data gets thrown around the internet every second, every so often some data gets corrupted. Maybe that happened with your reservation?

In theory, hotels should be generating reports on a daily basis that highlight possibly problematic reservations. Maybe a missing address isn't enough to flag a reservation to be checked by a human. Or, maybe the hotel hadn't gotten around to investigating everything on that report.

But, it's nice that you could fix the error yourself. (I'm not sure I would have had the forethought to try to fix it myself.)

Edited to Add: After thinking more about this, I've decided that a reservation without a valid address would not appear on any system-generated reports. (At least they wouldn't in places I worked.) Most reservations made through corporate travel agencies would be sent without addresses. As such, I doubt any hotel would investigate why a reservation was missing address details.

As long as there was a way to track down the guest (via travel agency or using a frequent guest number), a lack of mailing address wouldn't be an issue at most hotels.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Feb 20, 2020 at 9:08 am Reason: Added additional comment.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Something similar happened to me recently with British Airways - I suddenly started getting the website delivered in German, and Chrome offering to translate. Looking at my settings, my country of residence was Afghanistan (not sure why they then defaulted to German, rather than Pashto or Dari...) - a quick change later and I was safely British/ English again
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.