Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines with wrong birth date on ticket, will this be a problem?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I purchased a round trip ticket from Iberia for Los Angeles->Dallas->Madrid. The outbound fights are operated by American Airlines. Return flight is a direct by Iberia. At first, American Airlines confirmation tickets did not show our 2 names. Only one name listed twice. I called twice and waited for a long time to talk to agent. While on the phone with the 2nd agent, our 2 names reappeared suddenly, All appears to be good. So I am not sure this is because the agent fixed it, or their computer just did an update.

The only issue remaining according to the 2nd agent, is that my birthday is listed wrong on the ticket of the first leg Los Angeles->Dallas. He said he can not modify it for me. I will need to go to the counter and show my passport, so they can correct that, before the flight.

Will this be an issue for our flights? Is there any other way to have this corrected before the travel date so I can be cleared of all possible issues?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
IME this sort of a modification can be done at the ticket counter but is time consuming so get there early. It is also exacerbated by having the two airlines involved. Even if it is not raised at LAX I would suggest you point it out and try to get the AA folks at LAX to fix it. When you get to DFW you will likely be dealing with IB staff- who won't be able to change the AA booking and will need to get AA on the phone. Also by getting it addressed in LAX you can control the timing/when you arrive, whereas at DFW the duration of your layover is out of your control.
JDiver and ATL10A like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is easily done at LAX. It is simply a matter of having to stand in what may be a fairly long line. As one cannot predict how long it will take, give yourself an extra hour above whatever you would normally allow and you may wind up with an extra 55 minutes.
formeraa likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Yes. Good Luck
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:43 pm

I’ve had my year off by one. Couldn’t check in online, though just had to go through the normal check in process with an agent, no issue at all. The person checking me in didn’t even mention anything was amiss.

So however long it takes for you to stand in line and check in with an agent would be about how long this will take.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
IME this sort of a modification can be done at the ticket counter but is time consuming so get there early. It is also exacerbated by having the two airlines involved. Even if it is not raised at LAX I would suggest you point it out and try to get the AA folks at LAX to fix it. When you get to DFW you will likely be dealing with IB staff- who won't be able to change the AA booking and will need to get AA on the phone. Also by getting it addressed in LAX you can control the timing/when you arrive, whereas at DFW the duration of your layover is out of your control.
One correction. IB does not fly to DFW so you will not encounter IB staff there. The AA is the only airline operating the DFW-MAD route.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:41 pm

Why can't you call AA as if you were updating uour Known Teaveller Info or phone number? You ate not chsnging the name on the ticket,dates or destination. I made a mistake once on a birthdate and the agent fixed it and I could do online checkin. Also during the online checkin process cant you change your Birthdate before getting your bosrding passes?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
Why can't you call AA as if you were updating uour Known Teaveller Info or phone number? You ate not chsnging the name on the ticket,dates or destination. I made a mistake once on a birthdate and the agent fixed it and I could do online checkin. Also during the online checkin process cant you change your Birthdate before getting your bosrding passes?
Did you read the OP's original post? The OP stated that the phone agent was unable to do it over the phone.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
Did you read the OP's original post? The OP stated that the phone agent was unable to do it over the phone.
Yes however there are Supervisors who can override the system to update the Birthdate.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is traveling on an IB-issued ticket. AA ought not to touch the ticket until the day of travel. While it is theoretically possible to pay the takeover fee, it also risks gumming up the ticket.

The error here is a common one. It can be fixed on the day of travel and there is no reason to pay extra fees or spend hours on the phone and risk having the ticket loused up.

Just do as advised and fix it at the counter on the day of travel.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
The DOB will not be a problem. If you have pre-check, you will not get it but otherwise you wont have a problem. I have flown more than once with my birthdate incorrect (long story) but it is not an issue. The systems are simply not that good.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
The DOB will not be a problem. If you have pre-check, you will not get it but otherwise you wont have a problem. I have flown more than once with my birthdate incorrect (long story) but it is not an issue. The systems are simply not that good.
Honestly I think 72 hours give or take there should be an option to update the KTN# and DOB before it gets sent over to the Department of Homeland Security Its a very simple administrative function to change the DOB its not changing the name or Ticket Destination the DOB is like changing a Frequent Flier Program where to credit your miles to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.