Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

IAD - JNB on Delta tickets, presume KLM metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM

Via AMS obviously. 4 new Delft houses yay! Can't find anything useful on KLM forum - their seat sticky is from 2006 with all kinds of broken links. I've been assigned 2K on the 777-300 and 2A / 2J on 330-300. Are these decent seats? What are meals AMS-JNB - breakfast first, but is there dinner before landing? How long before? My first trip to African continent, very excited.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Via AMS obviously. 4 new Delft houses yay! Can't find anything useful on KLM forum - their seat sticky is from 2006 with all kinds of broken links. I've been assigned 2K on the 777-300 and 2A / 2J on 330-300. Are these decent seats? What are meals AMS-JNB - breakfast first, but is there dinner before landing? How long before? My first trip to African continent, very excited.
AMS-JNB gets KLs normal lunch to start, but the 2nd meal is their "anytime for you" alacarte menu. Coming back it's reversed in order and breakfast instead of lunch.

A330/777 both hsvecsame seats. 2-2-2 layout. Only the 2 in middle section have all aisle access.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
I did a similar trip (from YYZ) in November. Coming back JNB-AMS, despite leaving at nearly midnight, they do a full meal service before turning down lights. I didn't intend to eat on the plane and I had ordered off the menu at the SLOW lounge before the flight (a very nice lounge by the way), but the menu leaving JNB is unique and I went for it. Also, if I had tried to sleep I am sure I would have spent the first 1.5 hours quietly fuming at the lights being on. I've posted the menu to the KLM menu thread if you want to ruin the surprise. Catering on AMS-JNB was standard fare.

I didn't have the A330, but on the 777 I sat 1K from AMS-JNB and 1D JNB-AMS. 1D was the better seat (perhaps best on plane?). The row 1 aisle seats that face away from aisle (1CDH) have larger footrests, but 1D is the only seat no one steps over. But if you enjoy looking at the views, I'd keep a window seat for AMS-JNB to appreciate the vast expanse of the Sahara. The footrest in 1K didn't seem appreciably larger than other rows, the only benefit I recall is that you get a built-in shelf above the TV that's useful place for laptop/tray when getting up and down.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
if you log in to your booking on KLMs website it should give you all of the details about your flight including possible menus. you can use your DL record locator and it will pull up your KLM details.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gitismatt
if you log in to your booking on KLMs website it should give you all of the details about your flight including possible menus. you can use your DL record locator and it will pull up your KLM details.
You dont even need to login. Just goto http://flightguide.klm.com. it'll let you see the menu and info about you plane including if it has Wifi. All 787 and 773 should have by end of 1st quarter, 772/A330 will take another year at least and 747 wont get since they go bye bye next year.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by ajggiant
I did a similar trip (from YYZ) in November. Coming back JNB-AMS, despite leaving at nearly midnight, they do a full meal service before turning down lights. I didn't intend to eat on the plane and I had ordered off the menu at the SLOW lounge before the flight (a very nice lounge by the way), but the menu leaving JNB is unique and I went for it. Also, if I had tried to sleep I am sure I would have spent the first 1.5 hours quietly fuming at the lights being on. I've posted the menu to the KLM menu thread if you want to ruin the surprise. Catering on AMS-JNB was standard fare.

I didn't have the A330, but on the 777 I sat 1K from AMS-JNB and 1D JNB-AMS. 1D was the better seat (perhaps best on plane?). The row 1 aisle seats that face away from aisle (1CDH) have larger footrests, but 1D is the only seat no one steps over. But if you enjoy looking at the views, I'd keep a window seat for AMS-JNB to appreciate the vast expanse of the Sahara. The footrest in 1K didn't seem appreciably larger than other rows, the only benefit I recall is that you get a built-in shelf above the TV that's useful place for laptop/tray when getting up and down.
Thanks, this is great info, especially about the lounge and the views over the Sahara, can't wait! Yes, I love the window seats and have a pretty good bladder so I don't worry too much about the clamber-over, much as I like DL's aisle access. The seats sounds like those I had on previous KLM flights. It's been a couple of years and I didn't know whether they had changed - the seat map I found on the KLM FT site was confusing and probably wrong.

I don't want to log into KLM with my PNR because the last time I did this a year or two ago (it may have been on AF rather than KLM) my browser filled in my FB number and I lost my SkyMiles to FlyingBlue. I know you can get them back with lots of perseverance and phone calls, but I just don't have the time or patience.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:46 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I don't want to log into KLM with my PNR because the last time I did this a year or two ago (it may have been on AF rather than KLM) my browser filled in my FB number and I lost my SkyMiles to FlyingBlue. I know you can get them back with lots of perseverance and phone calls, but I just don't have the time or patience.
If you use an incognito/private browser session this shouldn't be an issue.
arunhn likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:39 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Wife and I did the AMS to JNB flight last month....nothing to write home about. Basic Business class service, FAs were middle of the road, Food middle of the road, just KLM being KLM. Immigrations at JNB was a breeze from setting foot off the plane to being in our room at the IC was like 20 minutes. We did not have any checked baggage though.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:30 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SSF556
Wife and I did the AMS to JNB flight last month....nothing to write home about. Basic Business class service, FAs were middle of the road, Food middle of the road, just KLM being KLM. Immigrations at JNB was a breeze from setting foot off the plane to being in our room at the IC was like 20 minutes. We did not have any checked baggage though.
I would recommend bringing your own entertainment too - the KLM offering on these older aircraft is limited.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
I would recommend bringing your own entertainment too - the KLM offering on these older aircraft is limited.
The entertainment has been refreshed to new system. Not sure when you flew KL last.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
If you use an incognito/private browser session this shouldn't be an issue.
Dont needto login. Just goto flightguide.klm.com. You can pull up by flight number or route. Itll give menu and info on plane.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The entertainment has been refreshed to new system. Not sure when you flew KL last.
It was about a year ago - glad to hear it's been refreshed. In any case, if you're used to the Delta IFE selection, I haven't found too many other carriers that match the variety. Always a good idea to bring your own on any airline.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont needto login. Just goto flightguide.klm.com. You can pull up by flight number or route. Itll give menu and info on plane.
It sounded like the OP's browser was pre-filling info for them. Incognito mode would prevent that.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TTT
It sounded like the OP's browser was pre-filling info for them. Incognito mode would prevent that.
No that's not what was being mentioned. If you goto AF or KL.com and pull up a reservation while logged in, their system will add a Flying Blue number to your reservation. Your DL will still be in it, but the FB will take priority for crediting purposes. You then cant get DL miles as it went to FB.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:30 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No that's not what was being mentioned. If you goto AF or KL.com and pull up a reservation while logged in, their system will add a Flying Blue number to your reservation. Your DL will still be in it, but the FB will take priority for crediting purposes. You then cant get DL miles as it went to FB.
I understand, but the OP mentioned their browser was pre-filling info for them (logins or otherwise). Emphasis mine.
I don't want tolog into KLM with my PNR because the last time I did this a year or two ago (it may have been on AF rather than KLM) my browser filled in my FB number and I lost my SkyMiles to FlyingBlue.

In any case, incognito will prevent anything from pre-filling in your browser (logins or otherwise).
CPMaverick and NotHamSarnie like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.