Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane Struck by Lightning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Plane Struck by Lightning

I just received a message from BA to tell me that my flight from RUH-LHR this evening is delayed as the inbound "aircraft requires lighting (sic) strike inspections on arrival into Riyadh."

Given that the aircraft didn't divert and continued onto Riyadh, I am assuming that this is no big deal and should only expect a very minor delay.

Any thoughts or insights from the FT community?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:45 am

I've never seen a diversion for lightning strikes. Although the inspections might be long and could lead in a cancellation, depending on how many static ports need replacing.

sorry for not being the bearer of good news...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
My last delay due to a lightning inspection delayed my 380 flight by about 3 hours. Just a data point. Don’t envy you being stuck in the dreary RUH lounge for longer than needed though
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Thanks for the insights...and for managing my expectations. Better to be prepared.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
really depends what they find, and also how quickly they find can get appropriate equipment to check the top of the aircraft.
GGL Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I had a seven-hour delay at AMS, of all places, due to lightning striking the incoming flight. So yeah, it can get quite messy unfortunately.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just have a few more beers in the lounge. Oh...
msm2000uk, jmd, aidy and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
My last delay due to a lightning inspection delayed my 380 flight by about 3 hours. Just a data point. Don’t envy you being stuck in the dreary RUH lounge for longer than needed though
similar situation at JFK last year, inbound 777 struck by lightning. Delay for inspection was 3 hours as well.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
A few years ago was just about to board a BHX-AMS flight when it was struck by lightning (i.e. whilst it was still on the ground) - had to delay boarding, then were directed to another flight.

(On a side, I've seen a lightning bolt descending from the cloud base, then take a 90-degree turn into a mountainside, and a lightning strike out of blue sky some 20 miles from the nearest cloud).
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:17 pm

I was delayed due to this exact same reason from HKG to LHR in November as lightning strike hit plane from JNB to LHR. If you do get delayed by a significant amount - claim EC261.
GGL Flyer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I was once on a flight that was struck by lightning. It was the only time in 30 years of extensive travel that I asked myself (after seeing what appeared to be an explosion and feeling the plane shudder), “Is this bird still flying?” Of course we were and continued to our destination without any issue. (No idea how long the subsequent delay may have been.)
GGL Flyer and SightseeMC like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
Almost exactly a year ago, I had not one but two lightning strikes about three minutes apart on a final approach into TLV. The Captain explained that ATC had not thought the cloud mass thunderous until it was too late to do anything other than continue flying through it. This was BA164 which landed mid afternoon, but in winter with very short days. They kept the 777 on the ground overnight, and folk sustained a 14 hour delay going home...
GGL Flyer and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DominicB
...and folk sustained a 14 hour delay going home...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Dan Son
I was delayed due to this exact same reason from HKG to LHR in November as lightning strike hit plane from JNB to LHR. If you do get delayed by a significant amount - claim EC261.
I would have though that lightning is included under extraordinary circumstances - it's not predictable where it will strike and not in the airlines control, so I can't see a 261 claim succeeding.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I would have though that lightning is included under extraordinary circumstances - it's not predictable where it will strike and not in the airlines control, so I can't see a 261 claim succeeding.
Read up on Evans vs Monarch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.