Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Covid19: LH Group suspends flights to China [Discussion of China waiver]

Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: too many

I have an upcoming LH flight in March to China. Watching the growing Corona epidemic I am increasingly concerned that our planned cross country trip will be severely restricted or impossible.

Based on your experience: Will LH eventually allow changes and cancellations? Is that tied to certain conditions, like WHO declaring an emergency? Does someone remember how LH handled the SARS situation back then?

Thanks,

Hardy

Last edited by Hardy; Mar 2, 2020 at 7:30 am Reason: update
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
March is a way off but I would expect them to allow cancellation for free if there is a WHO emergency declaration in force.
I would recommend you buy travel insurance that covers these things also, right now , if you don’t already have that
Andy49 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:47 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7ľł © ™

Originally Posted by chris63
March is a way off but I would expect them to allow cancellation for free if there is a WHO emergency declaration in force.
I would recommend you buy travel insurance that covers these things also, right now , if you don’t already have that

Agreed with insurance but check that it covers this situation, don't buy the cheapest and expect it to cover all eventualities
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: LH M+M
LH has a waiver for flights up to Feb, 23rd "already" -- so if this issue continues, I'd expect they waiver period will be prolongued.

Current waiver: https://www.lufthansa.com/content/lh...el-information
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy49

Agreed with insurance but check that it covers this situation, don't buy the cheapest and expect it to cover all eventualities
Absolutely, it must be travel insurance that provides adequate cover for the areas one goes to & all eventually
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
For flights in March please contact LH or the OTA/TA you booked with, for voluntary cancellation/refund or rebooking - will not be cheap though
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
For flights in March please contact LH or the OTA/TA you booked with, for voluntary cancellation/refund or rebooking - will not be cheap though
Would not recommend that. There will certainly be a waiver, if the situation gets worse.
chris63 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Of course, the point is that if the OP wants to cancel or rebook flights for March now (rather than waiting until it is clear how this develops and if there will be a waiver for March as well) the OP will need to pay for it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Talking

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
LH has a waiver for flights up to Feb, 23rd "already" -- so if this issue continues, I'd expect they waiver period will be prolongued.

Current waiver: https://www.lufthansa.com/content/lh...el-information
Silly question: is HKG considered China in this case? I've an imminent flight to HK (8th feb) and I'm monitoring the situation. As of now, I'm not likely to travel.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Andy49

What insurance would you recommend in this case? As I understand it, most insurance will refuse to cover a situation that was a known hazard at the time of purchase.
Andy49 and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Of course, the point is that if the OP wants to cancel or rebook flights for March now (rather than waiting until it is clear how this develops and if there will be a waiver for March as well) the OP will need to pay for it.
The OP said he is "concerned" that the trip may be "impossible", not that he wants to cancel now.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paffendorf
Silly question: is HKG considered China in this case? I've an imminent flight to HK (8th feb) and I'm monitoring the situation. As of now, I'm not likely to travel.
China certainly considers Hong Kong part of China.
vantage03 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:03 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Wink

No hysteria nor paranoia please, sad that you not fly on the 7th, would have guested you into the FCT leaving from FRA.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:23 am

In this case yes.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by chris63
China certainly considers Hong Kong part of China.
Originally Posted by behuman
No hysteria nor paranoia please, sad that you not fly on the 7th, would have guested you into the FCT leaving from FRA.
Originally Posted by thbe
In this case yes.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not over-reacting, since I've not taken final decision. But I think that would be stupid to underestimate the matter.
Said that, thanks for the invitation to the FCT.

Will see during this week what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.