Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United ORD-OGG first class, UA 777, 2-4-2 layout vs Hawaiian Airlines A330

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

This looks like 777, 2-4-2 layout I believe. How does it compare to Hawaiian Airlines A330 first class?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It compares favorably if you want to go direct as Hawaiian doesn't fly from ORD.

Personally the seat is fine and the nearly every dish having mushroom is a dealbreaker for me.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
It compares favorably if you want to go direct as Hawaiian doesn't fly from ORD.

Personally the seat is fine and the nearly every dish having mushroom is a dealbreaker for me.
I am actually flying from NYC, so the options I am considering are:

1) EWR-> ORD -> OGG through united
2) EWR -> SFO -> OGG through united. The EWR -> SFO seats seem to be better than the ORD -> OGG seats?
3) JFK -> HNL -> OGG through Hawaiian

Prices are comparable, Hawaiian probably a bit more. Any big deal between the seats in these options? Trying to optimize for lie flat seats

Thanks

Last edited by Boringbarry; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:03 pm

Both are full flat seats without much privacy, so no big difference.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's no 4 across middle on HA and you won't have to deal with the misery of EWR.

UA doesn't fly JFK, so your ORD routing would be EWR-ORD-OGG.
Boringbarry and Markie like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

you're right, edited. Sounds like your recommendation is HA, thanks.

Last edited by Boringbarry; Jan 25, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boringbarry
Sounds like your recommendation is HA, thanks.
HNL is also a safer connection than ORD or SFO.

I think the only reason to choose UA here would be frequent flyer program.
Dublin_rfk and Boringbarry like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:54 am

Programs: UA MM

2) EWR -> SFO -> OGG through united. The EWR -> SFO seats seem to be better than the ORD -> OGG seats?

Prices are comparable, Hawaiian probably a bit more. Any big deal between the seats in these options? Trying to optimize for lie flat seats

Thanks
Keep in mind not all SFO-OGG flights will have lie-flat seats.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: UA, AS
This looks like 777, 2-4-2 layout I believe. How does it compare to Hawaiian Airlines A330 first class?

Thanks
I tried a HA A330 once. I did not like the seat. To me it was very uncomfortable when in the lie-flat position. The padding of the seat was very poor. I had the feeling of lying on something very hard and uncomfortable making it difficult to sleep or rest. This was from SFO and so not a super long flight but after that experience I would chose many other options before an HA A330. UA 777 2-4-2, AS recliner. I suppose possibly from NYC because of the much longer flight length I might try it again if it was the difference between lie-flat and not but from SFO I would choose a comfy recliner over the HA A330 slab and I would definitely chose any other lie-flat product over the HA A330.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
I believe the service on HA is more attentive. Of course any observations are anecdotal
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I love HA and flew them Sfo/OGG but they recently changed to A321 or a similar narrow body plane without lie-flat seats in F. So I switched back to UA partly for the lower price. Chances are always high for a delay with UAL compared to HA, especially in OGG!
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Thanks
In this instance I would fly HA from JFK and enjoy not having to transfer in the continental US.
Waldofriend and Boringbarry like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Why not do EWR-HNL-OGG (first leg on UA, second on HA)? UA will sell you that ticket, and the seats on the 763/764 that will be used for this (at least until the 77Es being modified into HD come into service) will be better vs. what you see on ORD-OGG.
Boringbarry and txaggiemiles like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
The only thing I would add, is that while the UA 2-4-2 seats are a bit cramped and lack privacy, the padding is very soft for sleeping.
Boringbarry likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Why not do EWR-HNL-OGG (first leg on UA, second on HA)? UA will sell you that ticket, and the seats on the 763/764 that will be used for this (at least until the 77Es being modified into HD come into service) will be better vs. what you see on ORD-OGG.
Is this the flight? https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/uni...-class-review/ Price looks similar to JFK -> HNL -> OGG via Hawaiian but marginally worse departure time (840am vs 10am), are the seats that different? (On the return HNL -> EWR on United costs about 2x OGG -> ORD on United, so I think is too much to be worth it for me.)

On the return flight I am planning on OGG -> ORD (United), then ORD -> LGA since it's about 50% cheaper than OGG -> HNL -> EWR on Hawaiian. On the departure, I am leaning towards JFK -> HNL -> OGG via HA. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.