Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Progress under the old versus new program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB

I do a Hawaii trip each January, typically with one other trip prior to that. In the past, I ended January with 10,000 out of the 100,000 miles needed for 1K.

This year with a trip to Hawaii and Vegas, I'll end January with 930 PQP out of the 24,000 needed for 1K.

On a percentage basis, I was closer to 1K in January under the old model than I am now to Platinum under the new program.

This is my slow realization that I'm going to be Gold forever after this year.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
On a percentage basis, I was closer to 1K in January under the old model than I am now to Platinum under the new program.
If you had a US address, you would have been limited on PQD, not PQM, with the numbers you described.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:40 pm

Hello,
long time reader but first time poster..
Foreign based customer I was qualifying on PQM only
I am really not an elite flyer but definitely a loyal customer (travels mid week in general), I managed to get gold consistently on about 2K monthly salary (mostly on united metals)
I just completed one of my regular flights (5,000 PQM under the old system, about 10% completion)
under the new system, I have just received 160 PQP which corresponds to 2% completion) and since I am an economy flyer, this will be my rate going forward --> I am Kicked out of the program

on a side note, even if I had a waiver, I was always amazed by how ridiculously low my PQD was compared to my out of pocket money (I thought it was a system error. The numbers improved last year though but still far below my base fare and since I had a waiver, I never looked into it)
SAPriorityTag likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by modi
I was always amazed by how ridiculously low my PQD was compared to my out of pocket money (I thought it was a system error. The numbers improved last year though but still far below my base fare and since I had a waiver, I never looked into it)
If you are not ex-US, higher taxes would be the most logical explanation for the PQP (formerly PQD) v. out-of-pocket costs.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by modi
Hello,
long time reader but first time poster..I was always amazed by how ridiculously low my PQD was compared to my out of pocket money (I thought it was a system error. The numbers improved last year though but still far below my base fare and since I had a waiver, I never looked into it)
Welcome modi to FT
Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you are not ex-US, higher taxes would be the most logical explanation for the PQP (formerly PQD) v. out-of-pocket costs.
I agree with Repooc17 . It amazes me on K fares (out of the USA) how little UA makes. Look at the receipt and it is mostly taxes and fees.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Welcome modi to FT

I agree with Repooc17 . It amazes me on K fares (out of the USA) how little UA makes. Look at the receipt and it is mostly taxes and fees.
Without question; however, keep in mind that the so-called "fuel surcharge" goes to United, and it is supposed to count for PQP.

On some of the discount fares, it's common for the fuel surcharge to be the vast majority of the money that UA actually keeps.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Well I flew nothing last January so my improvement is infinite. But ...

I’m currently on a 4 segment round trip that nets me 4 PQF and 1596 PQP. On that basis (x12) I’m on track for >19,000 PQP and 48 PQF. I think I’ll be able to squeeze an additional 6 flights and make 1K.

So, so far so good and I’m not bothered.

Some win and some lose on the new system. I happen to be the same. If there’s something better move on and enjoy it. Don’t let it get personal.
SAPriorityTag and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
At least for status I for one benefit under the new program. January was an average month 12 PQF for a grand total of 1000 PQP.
What will make my year are my three annual TPACs in biz. Under the old program to maximize my earnings I was monogamous with UA and make 1K sometime in the 4th quarter. With the new system i will make status in the 3rd quarter and if I take one leg per TPAC on a partner I gain enough extra PQP to satisfy the requirement just on the difference. ( 19000 PQP )
junglematt likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: United, Bonvoy, NEXUS/GE, Amex Plat
Currently at 4 PQF and 58 PQP. (>5000 ex-PQM) Going to be a long year
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Without question; however, keep in mind that the so-called "fuel surcharge" goes to United, and it is supposed to count for PQP.

On some of the discount fares, it's common for the fuel surcharge to be the vast majority of the money that UA actually keeps.
Yes, YQ goes to United, but base + YQ at $160 for a 5000 mile ticket is still not much revenue for United. That works out to 3.2 cents per mile in revenue. Cost per available seat mile is generally at least 10 cents per mile for most airlines. Somebody who routinely spends that much on their tickets is not exactly an HVC. I have some sympathy for the foreign members who have been flying on UA discount J fares and will still have problems meeting PQP levels for Plat and 1K (due to limited number of segments). Not so much for foreign members on super discount coach fares who only made status because of PQD exemption.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 26, 2020 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This year with a trip to Hawaii and Vegas, I'll end January with 930 PQP out of the 24,000 needed for 1K.
That's some cheap Hawaii flight
HoustonConsultant likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
On a percentage basis, I was closer to 1K in January under the old model than I am now to Platinum...

This is my slow realization that I'm going to be Gold forever after this year.
Originally Posted by MTan
Currently at 4 PQF and 58 PQP. (>5000 ex-PQM) Going to be a long year.
My slow realization is that the only way to win this game is not to play anymore. The price of participation exceeds the value of the prizes. Free agency, baby.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
my YEG-IAH-POS trip last week would have got me 8800 PQM (8.8% towards 100000PQM) and now only 230 PQP (1.27% towards 18K Goal or 0.96% towards 24K Goal) as I am non-US and had the $$ waiver.

Add in a few AC flights and I am 7 PQS and 567 PQP for the year... not sure what I will make by year's end
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BearX220
My slow realization is that the only way to win this game is not to play anymore.
"The only winning move is not to play."
War Games, 1983.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
"The only constant in life is change."

Adapt. Evolve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.