Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet? is it allowed?

Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

anyone seen passengers on UA's TPAC flights wearing respirator yet?

is it allowed?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
A respirator would be a bit of overkill. Maybe a surgical style mask?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:33 pm

Why would it NOT be allowed?
downinit likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:05 pm

Per CDC and per OSHA guidelines, N95 respirators are designed to reduce personal exposure to particles including small particle aerosols and large droplets, while surgical masks are designed to protect other people against infection from the person wearing the surgical mask and are not considered an appropriate form of personal respiratory protection.

A surgical mask could, therefore, indicate that the wearer has a communicable disease and is wearing the surgical mask in accordance with the CDC/OSHA guidelines, which qualifies for Refusal of Transport per the United Airlines CoC Rule 21, H, 13. If pax fails to present a medical certificate, a determination to re-accommodate the passenger can be made.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueZebra
A respirator would be a bit of overkill. Maybe a surgical style mask?
If you're going to do it you may as well get the respirator. They are cheap. Surgical masks seem kind of useless for incoming particles (good for outgoing though).

It does seem like overkill at this point though. The fact that there is one case in Seattle and one in Chicago tells me that it's not too likely to transmit it on a plane (otherwise there would be a lot more then one in each of those cities... a whole planeful of people for not catch it)
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:15 pm

I will be wearing a N95 respirator on my next flight, no chances should be taken.
With the limited airflow in a plane, I wouldn't want to be caught in such a situation unprepared. Regular surgical masks usually aren't helpful in a case where smaller particles are able to pass through it, so N95/N99 (or P/R series) are suggested.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 6:26 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As someone who travelled frequently overseas during SARS, I am not someone who is prone to overreacting on flu type outbreaks, but the fact the WHO was at 50/50 on the issue yesterday and there is a lot of politics at play in that organization this is more serious than the Chinese initially let on.

1919 was the last serious worldwide influenza epidemic and we did not have the fast global connections we have now. We are overdue for a killer influenza and I for one will be wearing a respirator when I travel. Of course basic hygiene principles as well.

I am amazed UA has not yet mandated them for their customer facing personnel.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:13 pm

Do they even know how the virus is contracted ?

N95 masks are only useful for 8 hours before they need to be replaced , from the cdc.com website

I do not think we have enough information yet ,
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
N95 masks are only useful for 8 hours before they need to be replaced , from the cdc.com website
There is no real consensus here. 3M specifically refuses to give guidance. This: https://lms.learning.hhs.gov/content...5_FAQ_2011.pdf says:

The N95 can be worn until damaged, breathing becomes difficult, or contaminated with blood or bodily fluids.

It's not like it just stops working after 8 hr.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Seen it on a flight. I too will be wearing one on my next flight out of LAX this week although its not TPAC.

I dont think Americans really understand how big a holiday CNY is. Just look at how many flights there are from China to the west coast (LAX for example).
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I have seen advice that the N95 should not be worn for any lengthy period of time. So 8 hours seem very long.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:20 pm

I can see 3M not saying anything that will get them into a lawsuit sometime down the road.....

I have a couple boxes of N95 masks , I wish they made them in colors !
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If youre worried enough to wear the respirator, why take a flight to the region where this virus emanates from?
Mama, wrp96, riphamilton and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread convinced me, I just bought a 10-pack. Better safe than sorry.

I'm a big fan of the 3-panel ones (like the 3M "Aura"). I bought a couple before going to Delhi. They are very comfortable, and the lower panel covers the entire chin, which helps to keep the mask in place, and improves the fit.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:05 pm

The N95 mask is only effective if worn correctly. Few wear the mask correctly while awake much less asleep. They are really uncomfortable for long periods of constant use.
The virus is spread via droplets when a person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread when someone touches a contaminated surface. As such a N95 is overkill. The surgical mask catches spittle, is easier to wear correctly and much more comfortable.
The N95 is suppose to catch 95% of particles 300 nanometers or larger. Coronavirus is around 100 nanometers so the N95 is not rated for that size particle.
Xyzzy, uanj and eric.chen3742 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.