Wiki Posts
Search

No WT+ seat available

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

No WT+ seat available

Hi all

I’m flying BA0248 with other half tomorrow from GIG to LHR. WT+ showing no seat availability about 5 hours from OLCI. Anyone able to shed any light or upgrade likelihood to CW? Or worse...downgrade to Economy?

many thanks in advance!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
There are still 3 WTP seats unallocated, these are currently blocked for status holders and/or people with infants, but will become available at OLCI (10 A,J,K)
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by RowlandL
Hi all

I’m flying BA0248 with other half tomorrow from GIG to LHR. WT+ showing no seat availability about 5 hours from OLCI. Anyone able to shed any light or upgrade likelihood to CW? Or worse...downgrade to Economy?

many thanks in advance!

Looks like you're in the front row, which is currently blocked - 10J&K.. More chance of an upgrade than a downgrade btw.. Enjoy your flight.

Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk RowlandL and welcome to the BA forum, I hope that we will see plenty more of you.

It does look a busy service, but I wouldn't worry, it's not unusual for a number of WTP passengers to end up further forwards. It's rarer for things to go the other direction. CW seems to have some spare seats at the moment, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I would check in online at the first moment, but not download or app your boarding pass.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. That’s very reassuring. We flew CW our to Rio but WT+ return (which now feels like a bit error in our planning ) I am lowly blue (was Bronze before but lost that!) so would expect to be pretty low in the pecking order for an upgrade, but I’ll keep this thread updated if any news!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:46 pm

Thanks so much for everyone’s help. That’s very reassuring. We flew CW our to Rio but WT+ return (which now feels like a bit error in our planning ) I am lowly blue (was Bronze before but lost that!) so would expect to be pretty low in the pecking order for an upgrade, but I’ll keep this thread updated if any news!
Do not believe that for a moment. The algorithm BA uses for upgrades is complex and secretive. You could easily be the chosen one.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: OLCI gave me seats 11E and 11F. Anyone have any ideas how this worked as these seats weren’t even showing as blocked before. Obviously would prefer an AB / JK seat combo!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:56 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
UPDATE: OLCI gave me seats 11E and 11F. Anyone have any ideas how this worked as these seats weren’t even showing as blocked before. Obviously would prefer an AB / JK seat combo!
perhaps 11E/F won the upgrade lottery and they ended up in CW leaving those seats free for other WT+ passengers?
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
perhaps 11E/F won the upgrade lottery and they ended up in CW leaving those seats free for other WT+ passengers?
that was my thought indeed! Thanks. Slowly starting to try and understand some of this lottery.

thanks all!
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk RowlandL and welcome to the BA forum, I hope that we will see plenty more of you.

It does look a busy service, but I wouldn't worry, it's not unusual for a number of WTP passengers to end up further forwards. It's rarer for things to go the other direction. CW seems to have some spare seats at the moment, so I wouldn't be too concerned. I would check in online at the first moment, but not download or app your boarding pass.
Woah woah woah. Slow down there. Do not download the boarding pass?! This is news to me. Is this a theory or *proven*? I've always downloaded, and had some wins. Shed some light please captain.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Woah woah woah. Slow down there. Do not download the boarding pass?! This is news to me. Is this a theory or *proven*? I've always downloaded, and had some wins. Shed some light please captain.
If you do not generate a BP, you can re-select your seats yourself if better ones become available. No effect on upgrades etc.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jjLDNY
Once you download the boarding pass you loose the ability to change seats or view the seat map.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, so to give the full story, there is some limited evidence that checking in early is a good idea in terms of (a) securing a seat on the aircraft and (b) being in line for any upgrades, and that gives your ticket a particular status. There is no evidence that checking in late helps. But there is another GDS code for boarding pass issued. The boarding pass itself makes no difference to whether you would get an upgrade or not, but occasionally you can see an upgrade has been given to you before you get to the airport - the seat number changes (not the cabin name, for some reason). If you have not downloaded (etc) your boarding pass you are then able to select another seat within the upgraded cabin. If you are not upgraded, then if someone else in a good seat is upgraded then you can nab their seat. If you think about it, there is some strong bias towards BA's status passengers for upgrades, particularly in WTP. These passengers will previously have been able to get plum seats by dint of the same status. Consequently if you don't have status you can still benefit from the situation by moving into their now vacant seats.

As ever, few things in aviation are guaranteed, and there are all sorts of reasons why OLCI may not work for someone at a given time. But generally it's worth OLCI at T-24 hours, then an hour later having another look.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Does the same apply if on a series of flights rather than just one?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
@c-w-s all clear. Makes sense if you are not happy with your seats.

I make a habit of checking in early, as I know the general consensus suggests to do so. Of the 2 upgrades I have received in the past 4 months, one of them threw me off, in that it occurred moments after checking in, for a flight which was 5 hours ahead of time. So I think we have further to dig in this mission for the perfect strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.