Wiki Posts
Search

Club Europe - Non-Golds in Row 1

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Club Europe - Non-Golds in Row 1

Hi all, quick question but is row one in Club Europe now reserved for golds only rather than at least one gold on the booking?

In the past I have raised a seating request to seat friends next to me in row 1 who were not gold and it was never a problem. Yesterday they sat us together but said row 1 was for gold only and moved us to row 2.

I know first class 1A and K were gold only but didn’t think this also applied to club.

thanks
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you are on the same booking it shouldn't be a problem and you should be able to select row 1 for both passengers (the gold and non-gold) in MMB.

If on separate bookings then you should be able to do TCP and free seat request if the non-gold is in club too.

Who moved you to row 2? Was this the call centre or on board?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
sounds like mis-information from the call centre to me: you can definitely book non-golds into Row 1 where they are on the same booking (indeed, you can also book a non-gold into 1A/K in long-haul first if they are on the same booking); and I have also managed to get Row 1 for family travelling on separate bookings, by calling up and linking the bookings

unless policy has changed, this sounds like an approximate understanding of the rules from the call centre
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ratypus
indeed, you can also book a non-gold into 1A/K in long-haul first if they are on the same booking
You can't do that normally. After the seats are released around 3 days before the flight you can do.
orbitmic and alex67500 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you are on the same booking it shouldn't be a problem and you should be able to select row 1 for both passengers (the gold and non-gold) in MMB.

If on separate bookings then you should be able to do TCP and free seat request if the non-gold is in club too.

Who moved you to row 2? Was this the call centre or on board?

i don’t know if things have changed but before I got a gold card I could not get a row 1 seat via TCP. It was refused over the phone
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
i don’t know if things have changed but before I got a gold card I could not get a row 1 seat via TCP. It was refused over the phone
I didn't think one could TCP if not OWE...

tb
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by trueblu
I didn't think one could TCP if not OWE...

tb
I think the point was that GadgetGal was a recipient of the TCP before being gold. I am not sure whether it's different for short haul but for long haul row 1 is only available for golds until days before departure. It is not available for anyone else on the booking (including TCPs) if they are not gold.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
I think the point was that GadgetGal was a recipient of the TCP before being gold. I am not sure whether it's different for short haul but for long haul row 1 is only available for golds until days before departure. It is not available for anyone else on the booking (including TCPs) if they are not gold.

correct a travel companion attempted to get me into row 1 of a CE flight and was told no. I hD thought it would be permissible.

Though, funnily enough,, sometimes row 1 was available to me as silver on a couple of flights, long before checkin was even open.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue
my misunderstanding...

tb
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
funnily enough,, sometimes row 1 was available to me as silver on a couple of flights, long before checkin was even open.
I think there is/was a small window between when the flight went under airport control and when TS kicked in where you could get lucky as a silver. But generally, following on EF, if a Gold has 1A, 1C won't be opened to a non-gold until the space is needed for operation reasons. My observations/experience though, not science.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
correct a travel companion attempted to get me into row 1 of a CE flight and was told no. I hD thought it would be permissible.

Though, funnily enough,, sometimes row 1 was available to me as silver on a couple of flights, long before checkin was even open.
That was either a misunderstanding or an agent that didn't know what they were doing. I have TCPed colleagues on separate bookings into row 1 in the past year.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Thanks everyone. It confirms what I thought. Yes the call centre moved us to row 2. I will try again with a different agent.

my travelling companion hasn’t flown for a long time and row 2 club Europe may be too
much of a shock!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes when I'm travelling with family members who aren't Gold, either on same booking or through TCP, no issue with getting Row 1 CE for them.

As you know, 1AK in F is Golds only so there are different rules for longhaul
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
The wife and I are currently booked into 1A/C for our flight to HEL. We're both Bronze.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Am I the only Gold who prefers row 2 in CE, lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.