Wiki Posts
Search

AMS - YVR not doing final flight on return

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:40 am
Original Poster

AMS - YVR not doing final flight on return

Hi all,

Currently planning a trip trip to Vancouver and most economical way seems to be AMS to YVR via LHR in Club World. However because I live in England now it would be more beneficial on the return leg to “miss” the final flight LHR-AMS and just use national express for the remainder. Only concern is that my baggage gets ‘through-checked’ to AMS and I’m left with no luggage in London. Is it possible to “intercept” luggage on one booking ticket or will I have to just do the full journey?

thanks,

R
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
How long have you got between flights at LHR?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
If you can, book the last leg from Gatwick a bit later the same day.. that way your bag is tagged and can be collected at Heathrow off the Vancouver flight. I've heard the traffic to Gatwick can get very bad, and the trains can run very late....
djbenedict, mec72 and dazwilkinson like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you relly don't want to do the last leg to AMS (and return on a separate flight back to Lon) then just price up the trip to end in London

You won't get the full savings of doing a full ex-EU but equally you won't have to worry about what might happen if you skip the last leg.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you can travel without checked baggage, then you can land at Heathrow and leave the airport with no drama.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
By currently planning - I assume it's not booked, As noted, ensure the last leg is from LCY-AMS or LGW-AMS and this will be a nonissue in regards to luggage
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
How long have you got between flights at LHR?
Just under 2 hours in LHR I think, will this be enough?

I remember being asked on previous trips at BA check in desks if I would like my bags checked through to final destination, does this imply there is an option to not have this happen?

Thanks,

R
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
This gets asked a lot, unsurprisingly as the fares ex-EU are often considerably cheaper than from London.

There's some good discussions on these threads highlighted by mikeyfly that might help you https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31778105-post2.html
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:09 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Stsff have been specifically told not to allow short checking. The inconsiderate way would be to get off the YVR - LHR flight and report that you are unable to take the final flight feigning some emergency/illness/whatever, but this could have knock on effects for others and it would be some time before your bags would come out. Best always to book the LON - AMS from a different airport where there is no other option but to collect backs in LHR...please tell me you haven't booked and are now asking the question...
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Just book YVR-LHR / LGW-AMS, it will even be a couple of pounds cheaper. If you have already booked straight through LHR with a 2 hour connection, well you are in for a long wait for your luggage to be located when you ask for it back at LHR (because with a connection of that time your bag will already be sent to T5 be loaded into the cans for your AMS flight as soon as you land so it won't be able to be quickly and automatically retrieved by the baggage system).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
As mentioned by UKtravelbear above, try pricing for a return to the UK. Not sure about for just returning to London, but when I booked it I got the price to come down by returning to EDI instead of AMS. As I need to get back to EDI anyway it was a very pleasant surprise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.