Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA and Qatar joint venture application to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:25 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

Looks like BA and Qatar are looking to coordinate pricing and schedules to Australia on a set of flights:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ralian-flights

Nine 'key routes' are highlighted in the joint business proposal:
  • Canberra – London
  • Melbourne - London
  • Melbourne - Edinburgh
  • Melbourne - Manchester
  • Adelaide – Manchester
  • Adelaide – London
  • Perth - London
  • Perth - Edinburgh
  • Perth - Manchester
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wemyss
A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?
To look at JV's just in the context of business class hardware is an extremely myopic view. Looking at the routes the only BA operated service that connects to QR services is the LHR-DOH, so I don't think the Club World service plays much of a part. BA have a huge FFP, marketing and sales database in the UK, that is what QR gain from a JV. QR may have an exceptional business class product, but they do not have yields to match. In fact they are almost always price leaders. An interesting development - it will be interesting to see the effect on
RoyalSwazi and MaxFlyer like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

yet another anti consumer cartel attempt to reduce competition
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The plus for us will be that you can travel on QR metal and get bonus avios on the BA code.

Most of these key routes will be all QR metal assuming this will mostly funnel people into services via DOH.

But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF. Now you’ll just go on QR from DOH.
Passmethesickbag likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:38 am
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Onward domestic connections in Sydney isn’t exactly seamless and many would welcome flying ‘straight” into Adelaide or Melbourne or Perth. Over connecting in Sydney.
Mwenenzi, nancypants, dddc and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by sxc

But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF. Now you’ll just go on QR from DOH.
Not really. BA already codeshare with CX and MH to Australia. I also expect that neither QF or BA sees each other as the key competition. I expect that they see the Gulf and mainland Chinese carriers as the real competition.

I also wonder if QF might be building up to ditch the EK partnership, which appears less close than it once did.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
The plus for us will be that you can travel on QR metal and get bonus avios on the BA code.

Most of these key routes will be all QR metal assuming this will mostly funnel people into services via DOH.

I always used to get LHR-HKG-MEL with a BA codeshare on CX HKG-MEL.

For the record BA codes on QR LGW-DOH-MEL have been available for some time.

Spike
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Are there definitely no new BA routes as a result of this? Does SIN-SYD get dumped?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF.
Currently, if you book BA codes to MEL and you want only one stop, you might be put on CX for HKG-MEL, you might be on MH for KUL-MEL, and you might be on QF for SIN-MEL. Oh, and you might be on QR for DOH-MEL.

So it doesn't seem to me like this would be such a dramatic change so far as routing is concerned. The commercial aspects may, of course, be different - and they are pretty much wholly unknown to almost all of us.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA
I'll take SIN over DOH any day.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wemyss
True but to be fair not all of the Qatar fleet have the 'Q-Suite'.

You have to be aware when booking, as some flights (albeit not those to and from London) arer still slopey J seats - far worse that BA.
itsmeitisss likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
True but to be fair not all of the Qatar fleet have the 'Q-Suite'.

You have to be aware when booking, as some flights (albeit not those to and from London) arer still slopey J seats - far worse that BA.
Personally I preferred their older long-haul 2x2x2 J seating to that of CW.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by cosmo74
Personally I preferred their older long-haul 2x2x2 J seating to that of CW.
We may be in the minority, but I do agree with you on the QR 777, which as far as I am aware is always a 180 degree flat seat in 2-2-2 config. While window lovers may find themselves stepping over their seat mates, there are plenty of aisle seats. I also find that seat to be super comfy, definitely more so the the Qsuites. Down side is lack of storage space, but then CW has that problem too.

I think there are still some QR A330s that aren't 180 degrees, but I've yet to encounter that configuration.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BillyBleach
No they are not - long haul anyway. The B787s and A350s are 1-2-1 configuration (if not Q suite).

Some of the B777s and A330s are 2-2-2, fully flat.

The Complete Guide to the Qatar Airways Fleet

Last edited by DYKWIA; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.