Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has the point at which bassinets become available changed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I have a fairly good record of switching to the bassinet seat in WT+ in order to secure a bulkhead window seat and as recently as last October I have done this by calling up just after T-72, no problem, job done, sorted in minutes.

This morning and now about T-60 away from the next flight, the lovely contact centre agent couldn't force the switch as the bassinets are still showing as restricted. Her advice was to try again this afternoon or perhaps within T-48. Is this a change, have I just been lucky previously or is there a possibility that there are one or more infants on the flight who actually need these seats.

Not that any of this is a problem just curious if anyone else has noticed a pattern. Still holding out hope for the gods of POUG/AUP/DUT to smile on me.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:05 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It definitely used to be T-72, but in the past few months I've been told (on every occasion) it can only be done at T-48, and not a minute earlier.

M
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The way I was going to answer this thread was to say that T-72 remains possible, T-48 has long been a fallback when not, T-24 is too late for the contact centres but you may be ok for OLCI, finally there are times when it's just not possible, and there's no point trying to work out why. The T-48 issue has been discussed in so many threads over many years that I can't see this as being in any sense new.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
For moves to bassinet seats, I find that OLCI doesn't work any longer either. Previously, I never had problems moving to them at T-24, but now although I can see that they're available, I am unable to select them. I get a contradictory message telling me that they are reserved for infants, but that they are available to me because of an infant associated with my booking, which there never is. I don't care enough to call and just see what I can do at the airport.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the insights. I'll try again later today with the expectation that T-48 may be more likely.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
It worked for me in December at T-72 and my OCLI worked perfectly. rj.com is your friend
gemcan83 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aidy
It worked for me in December at T-72 and my OCLI worked perfectly. rj.com is your friend
I did try via rj.com and while it allowed me to change the seat without error it actually just deleted my existing selection. I suspect that this is because the seat is still restricted for whatever reason.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
very strange
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Answering my own question, in this case the seats became available ~T-36.

aidy the rj.com trick did work in the end. For future reference, the seat information pop-up did contain the word "Restricted" while the seats were not available for selection - I didn't realise the significance of that until it no longer appeared. ExpertFlyer also shows the seats as available.
Prospero likes this.

Last edited by Steve_ZA; Jan 24, 2020 at 9:52 am Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.