Search

Finnair JFK MCT

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Finnair JFK MCT

Apologies if this would be better suited in a NYC/AA forum

I am looking at flights on Finnair to the USA (HEL-SFO, via JFK to take advantage of the Transcon AA).

There are 2 options, one with a roughly 2 hour connection in JFK (T8 I believe), and one with a 5 hour connection.

Is 2 hours enough time for an Intl-dom Finnar-AA connection?

Thanks!
OHTOW likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
In the direction HEL-JFK-SFO, two hours might not be enough. It depends totally on US immigration, which could take two minutes, or an hour. You could risk it and book it, and they'll put you on the later flight if you miss your intended flight. However, if the later flight is full, that would be problematic. Or you could take the later flight, and stand by for the earlier one if you reach the gate on time.

For SFO-JFK-HEL, two hours is more than enough. Basically you walk from one gate to the other, and this takes 15 minutes at most.
OHTOW likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: AY Plat OWE
Originally Posted by RohitS
Apologies if this would be better suited in a NYC/AA forum

I am looking at flights on Finnair to the USA (HEL-SFO, via JFK to take advantage of the Transcon AA).

There are 2 options, one with a roughly 2 hour connection in JFK (T8 I believe), and one with a 5 hour connection.

Is 2 hours enough time for an Intl-dom Finnar-AA connection?

Thanks!
I've done it several times with scheduled approx 2 hour connection time. Never missed, but always stressed. Some cases they will hand over the Orange Express Pass at the AY005 disembarkation gate to bypass the long queues at the terminal re-entry security. With returning ESTA and the immigration kiosks working, you have the chance to be at the luggage carousel waiting before those are unloaded. And another way around, one hour queue at immigration and you will miss the connection. Take the chance, if you have the option of being late and re-scheduled for later flights; just my 2cents. Hand luggage only might save you some valuable time.

Coming back with 2 hour connection or less, is no-brainer as no outbound immigration or re-entry security, sometimes next gate and you will have plenty of time for the AA Flagship lounge.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I agree with ffay005. Personally I would plan more time (5h), so immigration / customs is not stressful and you can take enjoy the Flagship lounge at JFK (have a shower, eat, drink, relax) before the transcon. I did the same last year.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: AY Plat OWE
Agree with ffay005. I've done this HEL-JFK-SFO many times during the approx 20 years missing direct flight HEL-SFO. Most of those with approx plusminus 2 hours connection. Luckily, never missed. But, always stressed.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
It's meant to be a relaxing Californian holiday, so longer connection it is!

Thanks all!
OHTOW, Steve_Hun, ffay005 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:03 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RohitS
It's meant to be a relaxing Californian holiday, so longer connection it is!

Thanks all!
That’s a good call, my record from AY5 doors open to Flagship is 30-35mins but that doesn’t happen often. 2 hours is definitely stressful transfer at JFK (from int’l) as other have said.
OHTOW likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
That’s a good call, my record from AY5 doors open to Flagship is 30-35mins but that doesn’t happen often. 2 hours is definitely stressful transfer at JFK (from int’l) as other have said.
My record is making a 5:25PM departure on SBY from LGA 78 minutes after AY5 doors opened. Even missed the check in deadline by 3min but luckily the agent let me on. Even my checked bags made it.
OHTOW, Steve_Hun and NoWindowSeat like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
My record is making a 5:25PM departure on SBY from LGA 78 minutes after AY5 doors opened. Even missed the check in deadline by 3min but luckily the agent let me on. Even my checked bags made it.
Well, that's really something!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE)
My experience from yesterday, HEL-JFK-PHX with 1h35m connection time.

Due to late departure and heavy head wind, AY5 landed 31 min late, at 15:21 (according to FlightRadar). Orange Express Connection pass was given at arrival gate. By rushing I was on Gate 43 for PHX at 16:04, 21 min before departure. I think this is quite close to practical minimum since there was no delay in immigration and only some waiting time in security check.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Ukki
My experience from yesterday, HEL-JFK-PHX with 1h35m connection time.

Due to late departure and heavy head wind, AY5 landed 31 min late, at 15:21 (according to FlightRadar). Orange Express Connection pass was given at arrival gate. By rushing I was on Gate 43 for PHX at 16:04, 21 min before departure. I think this is quite close to practical minimum since there was no delay in immigration and only some waiting time in security check.
Glad you made it, AA agents are notorious for closing the door way early so that could've been an obstruction too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.