Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No way to log a nut allergy on BAEC profile?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Our youngest suffers from a range of allergies including nuts. A couple of times, crew members have suggested adding this to his profile.

I’ve been through every option and called the BAEC but apparently not possible. It’s clearly not practical to factor allergies into catering scheduling especially as passengers can change plans at short notice, but would have thought crews might appreciate advance warning?

(I know nut allergies divide opinion on here - apologies!)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe they meant you to do it through manage my booking rather than the BAEC profile?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Even then, all you can do is pre-select or pre-pay for meals without nuts. I can't see anyway of alerting crew in advance. Given the use of standby crews and the highly dynamic world of aviation, it's probably most sensible to mention this to the Senior Cabin Crew Member when you get on board. Cabin Crew work on the here-and-now very well, even if the rest of the world likes lots of pre-notice. Moreover there isn't a lot crew can do anyway, particularly if the catering is loaded with (e.g.) nuts in the main dish.

But no, there isn't - currently - a space to indicate that someone has a particular allergy, either in MMB or BAEC.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if one could include such items in a profile, I would never rely on any such system and would nonetheless always make direct and personal contact with the appropriate cabin crew member, review the food offerings and have backup food available as even items which do not contain nuts as an ingredient, may have been prepared in close proximity to nuts.

I would then confirm again during the food service itself, e.g., "this is the item without nuts -- as discussed -- isn't it?"
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
(I know nut allergies divide opinion on here - apologies!)
I always do a little eye roll and tut to myself when I hear about an allergy on board. For context, I also do the same at a red traffic light or when I almost leave the house without a jacket.

I really can live for a few hours without a bowl of nuts. I always feel terrible afterwards for my internal little huff and feel even worse when I see someone write something like you just did above. It must be so frustrating to have something so potentially harmful just dismissed when all it really amounts to for everyone else is a slight inconvenience you won't even remember 30 mins later. Good luck with your travels and hopefully you wont encounter any DYKWIA 'nutters' on board.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There is no point in registering your sons allergy in his profile, what you need to do is inform the ground staff on the day and ask to be pre-boarded, when you get on board you will be able to clean the seat area and explain the allergy to the crew.
If you require we will make an announcement in that cabin on long haul flights or on the whole aircraft on narrow bodied aircraft requesting that customers do not eat peanuts/nuts brought on the aircraft.
Food wise if you don’t self cater we will go through the options available and let you no what allergens are in each meal.
You will be asked the severity of the allergy, please bring a Epipen if it is required.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I can understand fully the OPs desire to be able to flag up the allergy. But ... how many allergies are there these days? I could see a very long drop-down list attempting to cover all common and/or life-threatening allergies, which could be a nightmare for BA and their world-wide Caterers to try to manage.

I say this with some sympathy. For some unknown reason my son is allergic to Brazil Nuts.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:33 am

Nobody is so allergic to peanuts that being in the same plane with them will kill them... It’s not like you open a bag and peanut powder fills the cabin. Nor would eating a meal with peanuts in it impact someone else. Now dog dander, thats great to be trapped next to!

My worry would be eating any prepared meals, and trusting catering and FAs not to screw up somehow. The safe bet is bringing your own food for your kid. Just does not seem worth the risk.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I woudn't trust BA to keep personal, medical information like that secure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.