Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Only 1 direct Delta flight - PDX - NYC ?

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Any clue why Delta has significantly reduced the direct flight options from PDX to any airport in New York?
Till last year, I recall DL has 3 direct flights (1 departing morning, another around noon and then one red eye) and similarly on the return leg.
Now, I see only 1 direct flight which is a morning departure from PDX and also similarly for the return leg from JFK.

I would have thought considering its DL, they would have more flights in this route.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could this be seasonal? What dates were you looking at last year and what dates are you searching now?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
It's seasonal. 3x daily returns in June. Looks like there's a few weeks of 2x daily in the spring as well (no red-eye).
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:02 am

pdx loves to tout its “best airport” title, but its direct flight availability leaves much to be desired. forget the carpet...at least sfo or sea has direct flights!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by mctaste
pdx loves to tout its “best airport” title, but its direct flight availability leaves much to be desired. forget the carpet...at least sfo or sea has direct flights!
yup..
for eg, still not even one direct flt to SFO (I know its not a DL hub but....)
[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA and AS have the market. Not likely that DL can make more inroads during the off season.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AS 75K
It's a lot better than it was 20 years ago. It used to just be standard to have to fly to SEA or SFO to get much of anywhere from PDX. Our population growth and the longer range of the 737 type planes has helped a lot. Direct to Hawaii is sure nice. Also, Delta isn't really the biggest show in town here. Alaska and Southwest kind of dominate.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second daily begins May 1 --
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=J...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Third starts on June 8 --
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=J...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

Some weekend days may see reduced service (typically Saturday's). Goes back to 2x on September 1st.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 21, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
as noted, it's a very typical seasonal schedule adjustment
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Any clue why Delta has significantly reduced the direct flight options from PDX to any airport in New York?
Till last year, I recall DL has 3 direct flights (1 departing morning, another around noon and then one red eye) and similarly on the return leg.
Now, I see only 1 direct flight which is a morning departure from PDX and also similarly for the return leg from JFK.

I would have thought considering its DL, they would have more flights in this route.
1 seasonalservice
2 rerouting flights through SEA or SLC
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
It's a lot better than it was 20 years ago. It used to just be standard to have to fly to SEA or SFO to get much of anywhere from PDX. Our population growth and the longer range of the 737 type planes has helped a lot. Direct to Hawaii is sure nice. Also, Delta isn't really the biggest show in town here. Alaska and Southwest kind of dominate.
agreed on direct to hawaii! and now direct to heathrow on delta, as of april.
mtofell likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.