Wiki Posts
Search

New BP Scanners to Enforce Zones?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
New BP Scanners to Enforce Zones?

Just had an interesting boarding experience at CHS. There were new scanners installed where your BP stays face up, instead of facing down on the glass. Now that may not seem revolutionary, but at least two people in front of me during PREM boarding were asked if they were in first class after they put their phones under the scanner and it didn't beep. They were not, and were asked to leave the line and board with their zone. Maybe it was coincidence, but it seems like maybe they are getting serious about people boarding in their proper zone.

Anyone seen these scanners at other airports and seen similar results?
Spiff, duluthDL, ryandc99 and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MotelRomeo
Just had an interesting boarding experience at CHS. There were new scanners installed where your BP stays face up, instead of facing down on the glass. Now that may not seem revolutionary, but at least two people in front of me during PREM boarding were asked if they were in first class after they put their phones under the scanner and it didn't beep. They were not, and were asked to leave the line and board with their zone. Maybe it was coincidence, but it seems like maybe they are getting serious about people boarding in their proper zone.

Anyone seen these scanners at other airports and seen similar results?
What happens if I am legitimately PREM and board with my young family who are all on separate PNRs in Main Cabin 3 or BE?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
What happens if I am legitimately PREM and board with my young family who are all on separate PNRs in Main Cabin 3 or BE?
I imagine they do the right thing and help...

UA has had this system for a while. It makes a loud unpleasant buzzer sound if you try to board early, for extra shaming. Though I imagine it wouldn't necessarily require installing new scanners to program the system to do this.
Spiff, Often1, GeminisTwin and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I posted in another thread. If this happens the system should automatically move you to middle seat, row in front of emergency exit/last row (no recline). You then have to wait till last to board.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I posted in another thread. If this happens the system should automatically move you to middle seat, row in front of emergency exit/last row (no recline). You then have to wait till last to board.
I think just turning people away to the back of the line is sufficient enough punishment that, if universally enforced, will lead to an end of this problem.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
I think just turning people away to the back of the line is sufficient enough punishment that, if universally enforced, will lead to an end of this problem.
Unfortunately I don't think the shaming stops some people. Although consistently sending them back might make them realize that it isn't worth trying.

I say this because I was just at LAX yesterday, and the GA was very vigilant. After I boarded a couple guys were loudly making fun of him when they entered the aircraft 'we aren't boarding your group yet SIR' and basically saying it's always worth a try and they get away with it other times. So they were proudly boasting about trying to cheat the system, not shamed at all.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately I don't think the shaming stops some people. Although consistently sending them back might make them realize that it isn't worth trying.

I say this because I was just at LAX yesterday, and the GA was very vigilant. After I boarded a couple guys were loudly making fun of him when they entered the aircraft 'we aren't boarding your group yet SIR' and basically saying it's always worth a try and they get away with it other times. So they were proudly boasting about trying to cheat the system, not shamed at all.
I entirely agree that the current process is completely broken. I actually file a complaint to Delta every time I see it happen (basically every flight) that United's system works better. If the zones are consistently enforced and people have to go to the back, or maybe their zone is automatically downgraded to BE, over time it will resolve the issue without completely ticking off paying passengers in low boarding zones.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
All they have to do is board with the "need additional time people" as Delta won't ruffle those feathers. Just today I saw 3 women board when it was called, all appearing to perfectly healthy.
noahnoahsmith likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as it is enforced fairly uniformly, over time it will work. Even Pavlov's dog learned.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I’d prefer a trap door opens and they can fly with the cargo.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by estedman
All they have to do is board with the "need additional time people" as Delta won't ruffle those feathers. Just today I saw 3 women board when it was called, all appearing to perfectly healthy.
I'm tempted to have this same mindset when I see people going up early, but pain and disabilities are complicated enough that it's impossible to judge on the surface. Someone with severe back or joint pain, for example, might not be hunched over and limping while still needing to stand as little as possible. I guess a note from the doctor requesting pre-boarding might be a step to filtering, but I doubt a one-look by the gate agent would be fair enough to distinguish proper disabilities from early-board abusers, especially if the cost of a false negative is high from social or legal fallout.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BradleyFlyer
So you really think people flying once or less a year will get it by universal enforcement?
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I prefer the ones in Europe (or at least CDG) where if the gate doesn't open if you don't have the correct BP.
duluthDL and ExArkie like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
As bad as delta boarding might seem aa is 100 times worse with their 8 different boarding zones and everyone acting like gate lice for zone 1. The aa agents never turn people away

it would always annoy me when 20 people board zone 1 (first class) on a plane with 8 f seats.
cmd320 and noahnoahsmith like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
As bad as delta boarding might seem aa is 100 times worse with their 8 different boarding zones and everyone acting like gate lice for zone 1. The aa agents never turn people away

it would always annoy me when 20 people board zone 1 (first class) on a plane with 8 f seats.
12 could be DM sitting in C+.
bgriff and jamesteroh like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.