Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Looking for a carryon under $300 that will last forever, does one exist?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Sky Miles

I usually bring a carryon when I fly and typically only check it when it's cheaper to do so or when I'm forced to check it. My current bag isn't holding up very well after about 50 flights this past year. One wheel is locking up, the telescoping handle is whack, and the thread from the carry handle is coming loose.

I'm looking for a quality bag, under $300, that's going to last a long time - Let's say 50 flights per year for 10-20 years so 500-1,000 flights. Does anything like this exist?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got an Eagle Creek Gear Warrior. 22x14x9, 39 liters capacity. Two-wheeled. I travel often to rural Europe and don't trust spinners and they're vulnerable casters. This bag has 3.5" wheels with a hard rubber tread which I've used on dirt roads with no problems. Materials throughout are rugged.
It looks closer to a backpacker's gear than businessman's kit.
Lists at $250.

Last edited by rickg523; Jan 19, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
I've got an Eagle Creek Gear
And what has that been like for you?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TangerineTravels
And what has that been like for you?
Sorry. Reread my post. Phone decided to hiccup as I was writing
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rickg523
Sorry. Reread my post. Phone decided to hiccup as I was writing
Oh okay, thanks. It sounds pretty durable. I neglected to mention that the 4-wheel spinner style would be preferred.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TangerineTravels
Oh okay, thanks. It sounds pretty durable. I neglected to mention that the 4-wheel spinner style would be preferred.
Very durable. After having two spinners fail on cobbled streets, I gave up on them.
I think you can find very durable boxes and zippers on spinners, but those caster stems....
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:19 pm

I also own the Eagle Creek Gear Warrior. The small elastic strap keepers are wearing out and I've also patched a few areas with some Tenacious Tape due to wear & tear. There's a bit of sugru on it after one of the side bumpers got caught in an escalator. It is otherwise doing well as a carry-on mostly and not checking it if it can be helped. Eagle Creek sells replacement parts including wheels https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/spare-parts

There are plenty here who swear by Briggs & Riley for road warrior travel. Part of the price is for the warranty and repair network Briggs and Riley warranty not so great. Some people have been using theirs for 15 years with zipper repairs.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:19 pm

I have had an Eminent PC Spinner for 7 years with almost weekly use. Absolutely no signs of any issues, super lightweight and rolls like a dream

Eminent's products are very well engineered and awesome price. I picked this up for ~$100

Hard to find in US but very available across Asia
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: United, American
What are you currently using ?

My first idea would be something from Luggage works.

https://luggageworks.com/browse-prod...ve-22-bag.html

But forever ? not sure other than a B&R with the life time warranty but thats over 300.

Last edited by Tesla1856; Jan 19, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
What are you currently using ?

My first idea would be something from Luggage works.

https://luggageworks.com/browse-prod...ve-22-bag.html

But forever ? not sure other than a B&R with the life time warranty but thats over 300.
One of the on-line luggage retailers had a promotion several years ago offering 35 AAdvantage miles per dollar spent. Valuing AA miles at a conservative 1.5˘ per mile, that worked out to a discount of 52.5%. That's when I bought my B&R roll-aboard.

Edited to add: For those who are curious, here's a link to a description of the old (2013) 35 miles/dollar luggage promotion:

https://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/ama...age-eshopping/

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 19, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by freecia

There are plenty here who swear by Briggs & Riley for road warrior travel. Part of the price is for the warranty and repair network Briggs and Riley warranty not so great. Some people have been using theirs for 15 years with zipper repairs.
I like that the two complaints were a bag that was unrepairable and discontinued, replaced with a similar new bag for free with a small delay and cosmetic damage.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:37 pm

wife and i love our b&r but havent had to make a warranty claim.

however, nothing is going to last forever, particularly something under $300.
Handcake likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:43 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
I'd recommend to bite the bullet and spend more. I had a Tumi for more than15y of heavy travels like yours. With a number of trips like that, it's less than a buck per trip....
It was still working as new and I gave it away - it was a 22+ inch case and I didn't want to get into trouble with the luggage police...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
The OP is looking for a bag under $300 that will last forever and has spinners. Reality check - you can have anything that you want, but you can't have everything that you want. In particular, spinners and lasting forever are almost inherently contradictory criteria.

I tried numerous options through the years, and finally realized that you do indeed get what you pay for. I haven't found any bag built as durably as B&R. They aren't cheap, but if durability is the criteria, B&R is the way to go.

Originally Posted by mctaste
wife and i love our b&r but havent had to make a warranty claim.
I also haven't needed to make a warranty claim on my B&R bags, but I have been with MegaTopLover when he took a B&R bag in for repair. There was no hassle, no issue - totally straightforward.

If OP is willing to consider duffle-type bags, B&R has some VERY VERY well constructed duffle bags in the $220-$260 range.
Handcake likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:45 pm

My Luggageworks stealth is holding up good. It gets tossed around and beat up on 3 or 400 planes a year. Tossed into vans, plane cargo holds slammed into curbs etc and mines not even showing wear after a yrs use. Wheels and parts can be replaced in minutes if they wear out. Theres a reason crew uses at least 75% LW
Tesla1856 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.