Wiki Posts
Search

LHR to South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

LHR to South Africa

Hi there.
Planning on visiting South Africa using avios in August 2021.
I can fly (from LHR) to either JNB or to CPT and fly back from the other.

Depending on availability, I was hoping to do the outbound in F.
Currently, I see no advantage to flying out to JNB rather than CPT other than it costs 20k less avios in peak.
The choice of arrival airport doesn't seem to impact the itinerary I have in mind by very much, as I would be visiting Kruger Park in between and there seems to be equally good access to that area from both cities (but a little bit pricier from CPT and an hour longer).

So, is there any good reason to do the outbound to JNB instead of CPT?
Perhaps F availability? aircraft / equipment (I would hope club suite would be introduced to one of these destinations by then) something else?

Thanks.

Last edited by Aston100; Jan 19, 2020 at 8:46 am Reason: Seems I was wrong about CPT requiring more Avios than JNB.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
CPT departs from T3 and JNB departs from T5, which affects your lounge at LHR, there will be many arguments for which is better but that is for another thread.

JNB on the A380 is a much better F seat than the B744 to CPT (one A380 a day to JNB in August).

Definitely no Club Suite on either of these routes in the near future.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Agree with Airprox that the A380 to JNB would be nicer than the 747 to CPT.

If you are flying F outbound you will be able to use the Concorde Room whereas to CPT from T3 I assume your best bet would be CX F?

Immigration I tend to find is easier in CPT. However at both airports it does depend on what flights have landed immediately prior to your flight, I think the risk is high at JNB with more flights operating. However, on the whole neither airport is bad by worldwide standards.

In my opinion a lot would also depend on your programme, and just when you are heading to Kruger and what other things you have planned.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Aston100
Hi there.
Planning on visiting South Africa using avios in August 2021.
I can fly (from LHR) to either JNB or to CPT and fly back from the other.

Depending on availability, I was hoping to do the outbound in F.
Currently, I see no advantage to flying out to JNB rather than CPT other than it costs 20k less avios in peak.
The choice of arrival airport doesn't seem to impact the itinerary I have in mind by very much, as I would be visiting Kruger Park in between and there seems to be equally good access to that area from both cities (but a little bit pricier from CPT and an hour longer).

So, is there any good reason to do the outbound to JNB instead of CPT?
Perhaps F availability? aircraft / equipment (I would hope club suite would be introduced to one of these destinations by then) something else?

Thanks.
Some jnb can be 744 so no product difference. Cape Town a longer flight so better for a longer sleep.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JNB has 744 during the UK summer. In Club the UD would be preferable to the ho-hum A380
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Def. do the Club flight in the 747 uppder deck and the F flight in the A380!
no lounge difference between C and F for your South african departure either... But as said above differences in Lounge and Class if you depart in LHR

If you dont know the CCR I would def. do the A380 to JNB... and return from CPT on a 747 upper deck.

JNB will be easier F availabilty anyway I suppose
Cymro and Aston100 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Don’t forget there is Durban as well , it tends to be an easier and quieter airport than Cape Town and Johannesburg.

Redemptions tend to be hard to Johannesburg and really hard to Cape Town . Having said that , August is off peak for South Africa and not a month i would choose for a first time visit to the country unless it was for a specific reason or to go game viewing in a particular area such as the Kgalgadi . There are redemptions available in August this year for instance.

For first timers asking us for an itinerary we often suggest flying into JNB then Blyde River Canyon followed by Kruger area. Then fly down to CPT for some time in Franschhoek then Hout Bay Cape Town . It’s then logical to fly back from CPT though it’s no great shakes to connect onto a JNB flight by Comair and the SLOW lounges are excellent . I had a great back massage in the domestic lounge at the weekend , puts the Elemis Spa to shame .

You can fly from HDS to Cape Town direct , just outside the Kruger or fly to CPT from JNB
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DFB_london
Some jnb can be 744 so no product difference. Cape Town a longer flight so better for a longer sleep.
not entirely: when jnb has the 744 it is often the high j with the refreshed cabin and new entertainment and sometimes WiFi. Cpt always seems to get the most derelict planes around.
Stewie Mac and Thomathy like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by simonsmith

You can fly from HDS to Cape Town direct , just outside the Kruger or fly to CPT from JNB
We pretty much flew into the Kruger park as there is a quite expensive non stop flight to skukuza from cpt.
Thomathy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Have found arrivals and customs much smoother at Cape Town than JNB. When arriving at JNB I usually reserve the VIP service which whisks you through immigration bypassing the sometimes very lengthy lines. A couple of weeks ago flew into and out of Durban which was a pleasure compared to the other two.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you want to go to the Kruger to see animals I would suggest getting a Fed Air flight direct to your chosen lodge in the Sabi Sands concession which is on the edge of the Kruger.
They meet you at JNB and drive you around to their private terminal its all very easy with the flights connecting nicely to your arrival time.
If you are there for only a few days pay the money and do it properly, there are too many rules and regulations in the National Park.
I have been to Ulusaba many times and can recommend it.
Enjoy SA its a lovely country with may different activities on offer, great food and you might find some local wines as well!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwugson
Have found arrivals and customs much smoother at Cape Town than JNB. When arriving at JNB I usually reserve the VIP service which whisks you through immigration bypassing the sometimes very lengthy lines. A couple of weeks ago flew into and out of Durban which was a pleasure compared to the other two.
Is this with Bidair?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As this is over 18 months away, I'd say that plenty could change between then and now.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
As this is over 18 months away, I'd say that plenty could change between then and now.
6 months please. Need to get those seats at t-355...
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aston100
6 months please. Need to get those seats at t-355...
There's no guarantee of F at 355 - and with three schedules still to play out I wouldn't make decisions on aircraft type... much can change - take the timings and cabin that you can

Last edited by mikeyfly; Jan 20, 2020 at 4:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.