Wiki Posts
Search

BA LGW/LHR lounge WiFi - Android users

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
BA LGW/LHR lounge WiFi - Android users

Does anyone else struggle to connect to the WiFi using an android phone?

Seems to now happen at both airports, when trying to connect a number of security warnings are received and log in has to be done via a browser (if you're lucky to connect at all)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:21 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Never had a problem connecting. But I often don't bother since using my standard data connection is much quicker.

It's probably not a generic Android issue, more likely something specific to do with your phone/Android build
bhbloke likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have had a series of Android phones and I recognise OP's experience.

The workaround I have to adopt (effective 99% of the time) is:
  • Connect to WiFi
  • Open browser
  • Enter "HTTP://www.bbc.co.uk" (any website address will do so long as it does not start HTTPS:// )
  • The relevant sign-on page will then appear
Bit of a pain but so used to it now that I do it without thinking...

Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
@DYKWIA previously gave this work around too, click the small blue arrow to see similar previous issues with onboard wifi. Secure Sockets are a bit of a pain if you don't know they are there or what they are trying to do.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You can use the following if you ever have issues getting to the login screen of WiFi (BA or otherwise).

NeverSSL - Connecting ...
bhbloke and DYKWIA like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:36 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I wouldn't have an Android phone if you paid me. A friend lent me one when my Iphone went under the wheels of a car in Nice (6 years ago - my own stupid fault) and it nearly drove me half mad.

That said, I do have difficulty logging on the Wifi in the Lounge at times so I use the phone wifi as I have oodles of download that I never use (I suspect that they think that I download War and Peace on a daily basis). It seem that if there is a lot of use the system (Virgin?) cannot keep up. This has mostly been a Gatwick issue from memory.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:50 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Android phones of 6 years and now are very different. It also depends on what phone you use. I wouldn't buy an iPhone now.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
The security exception seems to not like the way ba route you through motoads which it then highlights as an issue.

I've raised it with BA a number of times, I have the latest iteration of Android with all security patches up until November.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Likewise - I have a Sony Experia and it always bounces from the portal to authenticate with the lounge password in the browser. Slight PITA but not a big problem.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:56 am

While many people use the site neverssl.com, I prefer to use neverhttps.com - because that is a more accurate statement of what you want, or rather what you don't want - HTTPS.

(TLS, which is used by almost all encrypted sites these days, is the successor to SSL but isn't actually SSL, and can be used by HTTPS connections!)

((And I'm sure no one is interested or gives two hoots about it!))

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.