Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Protea Dar es Salaam Courtyard, Tanzania [Master Thread]

Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:23 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard

Protea Hotel Courtyard Dar es Salaam

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Sea-view Ocean Road Dar es Salaam, Tanzania TZ 1000

Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard (2 Photos)

This trip was booked as part of a 4 city/region trip around east and south Africa. I knew going in that I wanted to either use points or find BAR's that suited my budget, so of the four Marriott properties I stayed at, 3 were paid, one was points. There's a seemingly lack of individual property threads for the non-Marriott brand Marriott hotels in Africa, so, hope this helps out folks in the future. 

Rate: ~$79/usd, government rate, included breakfast (most rates do, Gold+ get free breakfast), 3 nights. 

Location: Palm Beach in Dar Es Salam, this is about a mile north of the major tourist area, but very quiet, and when I walked around seemed safe enough. 

Overall: First Protea experiance (first Africa trip ever), but the hotel met and slightly exceeded expectations. 

Images from hotel website, but very accuarte. 

darco-exterior-6109-hor-feat.jpg

darco-pool-0009-hor-feat.jpg

Check In

I landed in DAR around 9pm, and although trying to get an Uber proved a bit frustrating, i made it to the hotel around 10pm. It's just about a 20 minute drive from the airport.

Check-in was quick, with the agent already knowing my name and having my paperwork prepared. I was upgraded to a named room (I won't call it a suite) with the title "The Chambers". A kind bellman carried my luggage upstairs (no elevators at this property), all rooms face the courtyard with a small pool and several tables which the hotel restaurants opens to as well. 

I was recognized as a PPE, given a choice of two amenities (old school Marriott style) which were a local beer (22oz), and some nuts. The second day, a bottle of wine was also delivered. 

Room

The room was slightly above average for size, with a sitting area, desk, canopy bed, and bathroom with stall shower. Water pressure was good, but the A/C struggled. It kept  the room around 19-20, but that's too warm for me. There's also a fan that helps circulate air. 

Bed was comfortable enough, but definitely not a suite-sleeper/Marriott/Westin bed. All four pillows were very firm, despite my profile request for feather pillows.

Housekeeping was flexible with my schedule (first day I slept in a bit), and wasn't overly agressive in the distrubances. In addition a once a day mistquoto bomb was used in my room. 

Lastly, the room lacks any sort of view, I had a pixilated window to an alley and a view of the courtayrd which is where the outside corridors also are, so the blinds were kept closed. 

Service

Service at the hotel was friendly, thoughtful, but not over the top. My few requests were met very esaily. I dined in the hotel restaurant one night and the serice was perfectly fine. Everybody means well and is happy to serve. I did request a tour booking around 6pm one night for the next day, which was done promptly with lots of info, and the tour was fantastic with a local dirver/guide.

Dining

As mentinoed, my rate included breakfast which was a buffet + egg station. The buffet had about 12 hot dishes, ranging from sausages (pork was sepearate of course), veggies, potatoes, kababs, french toast, and more. in addition, breads, juices, coffee, cocunt water (in fresh coconuts!) was on offer as well as cold cuts, and cheese. Lastly, an egg station was avaiable for eggs any style, and omeletts. Largly breakfast is serve yourself, so no tip is needed. 

I ate a small snack on my arrival night and dinner one night. Both of which were fantastic. The restaurant has a large menu of Asian, Indian, and Tanzanian specialities. Both dishes I had were nice and spicey, tasted fresh, and came with plenty of veggies (something appreicated for a Keto eater). 

Lastly, I asked several times for some ice and tonic water (for my own G&T's either outside or in my room), which was pleasantly served. Not sure if they knew my activity, but it doesn't matter, they were happy tro provide it.

Overall

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Great service, good enough room/bed, and for a dinner in, was not bad at all. Security was moderate around the hotel with a gate and car check as well, and the surrounding neighborhood was perfectily fine, even at night. I'm very glad Marriott brought in the Protea brand, as this sets them apart (among other ways) in footprint in Africa, and provides a great option for elite recoginition and points earning while on holiday or business. 

Next up? Protea Hotel Zanzibar Mbweni Ruins

Protea Hotel Dar es Salaam Courtyard

Would you like to write a review on the Protea Hotel Courtyard Dar es Salaam?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:59 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium

I will be doing a tour around Tanzania and will review each of the hotels. It seems that these hotels are not the popular on Flyertalk, but hopefully this will help others heading to this corner of the world.

I checked in fairly late, around 11 PM. They wanted my passport for this, but did not otherwise ask for a credit card or anything. Checking in with the app or requesting any other services with the app is not possible. I suspect this will be the same with all of the Protea hotels.

I received the room that I ordered. There was no mention during check in of status recognition, choice of amenity, or anything like that.

The hotel does not participate in Make a Green Choice.

The hotel has three floors, which are only accessible through exert, covered stairs. On a side note the hotel is located on Barack Obama Drive, which should make it easy to remember the address.

The rooms are of differing levels of maintenance/cleanliness. My deluxe room was a little bit worn around the edges, but the neighbours room that I got a chance to visit was in much better condition. It didn't give that unclean feeling that I get when a property is not well maintained, despite it being well cleaned. The pictures on the webpage are reasonably accurate.

The pillows on the bed are very firm. I am not sure how one could every use more than one of them at a time. The bed was also quite hard. The air conditioning was able to make the room frigid cold which was nice for sleeping after 9 hours in a plane that had its thermostat stuck at 25 C.

The restaurant closes around 11, but room service is still available, The hotel bar serves all sorts of local and international drinks until midnight. Breakfast is available from 6:30 until 10 (not 100% sure about the cut-off time.). The food quality was okay, with all a mixture of typical European offering (tilted slightly towards English), Indian food, fruit juices, omelette station, sparkling wine (with and without alcohol) and pork (at a separate counter).

The pool is fairly small, but has four loungers with towels.

The staff was very friendly.

I will provide some photos once my phone synchs with the cloud.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:37 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Thanks for the review.
Pretty confusing name for a Marriott hotel :-)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:05 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

From the hotel bar, I recommend Kiliminjaro over the other local brands.

Very firm bed

Bathroom

First time I ever had the ironing board standing in the room. I guess they knew how wrinkled my shirts are.

Small pool

Breakfast room with omelette station

Breakfast room 2
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:12 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

I later learned that all of the Protea properties in Dar es Salaam are owned by the same person. Generally I would say these properties all are a bit tired and could use some better standard of cleaning. Others might think I am being picky. Mold or mold stains at the edges is something I noticed. I would say that the cleanest was the Amani Beach then Mbweni ruins then Oyster Bay then this property. The Four Points was spotless and well maintained. The only other property in Tanzania, which I did not visit was in Arusha. Since it is also a Four Points, I expect it to be of a similar standard to the DAR Four Points.

Last edited by cbellero; Jan 8, 2020 at 1:28 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.