Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

AA award ticket to Doha, then must purchase onward ticket to Kathmandu

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA award ticket to Doha, then must purchase onward ticket to Kathmandu

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum
Question AA award ticket to Doha, then must purchase onward ticket to Kathmandu

We are using AA business class award tickets to fly from ABQ to DFW to Doha, but will need to buy a ticket on Qatar Air for the rest of the journey to Kathmandu as an award ticket isn't available. I plan to book the Oryx hotel at the airport for our layover - 4:00 PM to 8:00 AM. I know I will have to pay for the hotel, but will we qualify for the transit visa? The flight from DFW is QR730, not a code share number, but the ticket will be on AA. The onward flight will be separately ticketed by Qatar.

Also, I assume we can just check our bags through to Kathmandu, even though on different tickets, and not claim them for our layover?

We have transited at the hotel before, but it was all one award ticket to the final destination.

Thanks for any help clarifying this issue.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the QR thread in interling bags on separate tickets---->QR Interlining (Baggage)
QR’s published policy on checking baggage through on separate PNRs (under ‘Benefits’/‘Other Benefits’/‘Through check-in’):
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

Recommend having access to the website / a printout to share with the check-in staff if they are uncertain.

Check-in staff may also ask to see your other / second ticket to confirm your baggage allowance (hopefully with status) on those flights.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html

Through check-in

Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets.

However, customers should note that through check may not be possible on their return journey if there trip starts with another airline that does not provide the same level of service.
Edit
Just noticed you flying ABQ-DFW on AA. AA will not interline on separate tickets, even AA to AA. So I guess you will be out of luck.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 14, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

If we can’t check through, can we claim our bags in Doha and then recheck the next morning and still do transit hotel?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
The airport hotel is inside the airport (After security), so you'll have to go past security in order to access it. If you qualify for the visa-free arrival because you hold one of the 80+ nationalities, you can just enter Qatar without a visa. See https://www.qatarairways.com/en/visa-free-arrival.html. If you do not qualify for that scheme, you'll have to apply for a visa.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone; we decided to do a 2 night stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.