Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fun sight on an ERJ today - exposed damage on armrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
As long as you like the seat location, it’s tough to risk complaining and getting moved! I’ll assume that you’re in the “1” of a 1-2 configuration!!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by EWR764
Looks like 7B in an E-170/175... hate to be pedantic, but that's not an ERJ. Nice seat, though.
I think the E175 has more room under the seat in front of 7C between the seat leg and the aisle.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Can someone explain what I'm looking at?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I'm not sure what we're looking at here.
Obviously there's a cover missing, but what is that grey substance? Is that J-B Weld (epoxy) or chewing gum?

Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: MYOB
How to get it fixed

The aircraft likely has a Cabin Maintenance Log (different than Aircraft Log Book that the cockpit crew uses).
Non flight worthiness items can be logged here by the cabin crew. (reading light inop, window shade won't go up/down, etc) When I see these things, I mention it so that it can get recorded. Acft Maint should be looking at these to clear items. Much more likely to get fixed.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Is this really a big deal or a "fun sight"
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What did the FA say when you raised the issue to him?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's please get back to the real point at hand -- the armrest damage. Word policing on FT is rare a useful activity.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 14, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I was pretty tired so I passed out from boarding until landing just now. Haven’t brought it up to FA.

The exposed grey stuff is just the plastic part of underside, thankfully not gum!

Indeed not an ERJ, my sleepy brain read “Embraer ERJ-175” and didn’t think further.

UPDATE: FA said they’d make a note of it. I didn’t make a stink
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Last edited by 839083c; Dec 14, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think it’s damage done by a cart attack.
839083c likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yes, just report this to an FA and go forward. Stuff like this happens, and unless it’s an actual safety concern, not a big deal at all. Unless your of the, ‘while this isn’t a big deal, wonder if this indicates they aren’t paying to other safety-related stuff’.

thsi brings up two memories. One, some of the threads in the old PMUA forum, where, for example, people were taking UA to task for using the mis-painted nose cone (ie, nose cone from one branding scheme while plane was painted in another). The other is one flight I did have in an E45, where I got to my seat after boarding and realized the tray table wouldn’t stay up because that lock was broken. If I was being 100% safety minded, I suppose I would’ve brought it up before take off, but I knew that the proper response was going to be we couldn’t fly until it got fixed - as tray tables need to be up for take off. I and probably half the plane would have likely missed connections if maintenance needed to be brought on to fix. So I held it up until after take off, and when the FA came with the service, I let her know to file a report.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
----
My thought exactly.....what is "fun" or "funny" about this?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
The other is one flight I did have in an E45, where I got to my seat after boarding and realized the tray table wouldn’t stay up because that lock was broken. If I was being 100% safety minded, I suppose I would’ve brought it up before take off, but I knew that the proper response was going to be we couldn’t fly until it got fixed - as tray tables need to be up for take off. I and probably half the plane would have likely missed connections if maintenance needed to be brought on to fix. So I held it up until after take off, and when the FA came with the service, I let her know to file a report.
I had a cocktail tray on an E75 that came out of the seat entirely (locking pin was missing I guess). I thoughtlessly mentioned this to the FA who was serving PDBs and we promptly took a 1h15 mx delay. Oops!
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 839083c
I was pretty tired so I passed out from boarding until landing just now. Haven’t brought it up to FA.

The exposed grey stuff is just the plastic part of underside, thankfully not gum!

Indeed not an ERJ, my sleepy brain read “Embraer ERJ-175” and didn’t think further.

UPDATE: FA said they’d make a note of it. I didn’t make a stink
Is the Embraer EMB-175 not considered an ERJ (Embraer Regional Jet)?

I believe the term 'ERJ' could be any of the Embraer jets (-145, -170, -175).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.