Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some thoroughly unoriginal observations from my visit to T5 today

Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle

So having been gold for the last 4 years, I am enjoying (genuinely) the change in routine today for my first flight out as Silver. A few observations:

1) I was directed to use the trial 3D scanners in Fast Track North - the staff member said 'it may be quicker, it may be longer' and gave me the choice. Being naturally adventurous I went through and it was an easy scan with not laptops or liquids needing to be removed. The effect was slightly undone by the fact we had all prepped ourselves by that point but it went smoothly. There was one hold up of a few minutes, and then a cheeky BA staff member flying on standby 'skipped' the tray queue by pushing her bags in on front of mine (I was waiting patiently for a gap). I gave her a thin smile and she had the good grace to look a little bashful. She was on a tray slot on front of mine, though, so not actually sure of the etiquette to be observed here!

2) The GC lounges have changed quite a lot since my last visit! Breakfast is hugely upgraded (used to be just bacon butties and pastries?) - but the aforementioned 'London Skyline' transfers on the north facing windows are a real shame as it makes that part of the lounge feel much less spacious. Lots of new furniture of course, like the other lounges last year or two. It was busy but not packed. I really didn't feel much loss between GF and this. I did miss my kippers. And there was no NYT in South to my horror (I briefly thought this was a F lounge perk only) but have found it in B.

3) The music in the lounges is much louder than it used to be. It is kind of fine but on the verge of distracting. It is at conversation level in GC South and in GC T5B - I mentioned this in a friendly way to the lounge manager at B and she suggested (rather cleverly I thought) that the sound system had been turned down/off for Remembrance Day and whoever had turned it back up/on had pumped it up a bit!

4) T5B is heaven. This is nothing new and I came here quite a lot even when Gold but today there are a total of 15 people in here and it is zen-like in it's tranquillity. Apart from Little Drummer Boy a few decibels too loud.

It was all going so well but I have just seen that my TS seat block for 61J has been filled. Sigh. Silvers lose it first I guess. Musn't grumble.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by noFODplease
She was on a tray slot on front of mine, though, so not actually sure of the etiquette to be observed here!.
I always think its a bit like being at a bar. If the people either side of you have been waiting longer, you let them put their tray in, but if theyre not ready, its fair game to jump in. Walking straight in and shoving your tray in to the first space that comes along when its obvious that others are waiting is akin to deliberately getting served out of turn at a bar - almost a hanging offence.
TTmex, VFRonTop, Symmetre and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Further to the above, just had a terrible back massage at the B gates spa. The sensation was akin to a hungry cocker spaniel scrabbling for 15 minutes outside the kitchen door.

Also it was a male masseuse! My first male spa therapist in 7 years of going.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
3) The music in the lounges is much louder than it used to be. It is kind of fine but on the verge of distracting. It is at conversation level in GC South and in GC T5B - I mentioned this in a friendly way to the lounge manager at B and she suggested (rather cleverly I thought) that the sound system had been turned down/off for Remembrance Day and whoever had turned it back up/on had pumped it up a bit!

4) T5B is heaven. This is nothing new and I came here quite a lot even when Gold but today there are a total of 15 people in here and it is zen-like in it's tranquillity. Apart from Little Drummer Boy a few decibels too loud..
Sitting in T5B Lounge - Do you hear what I hear? Seems to be Christmas interspersed with some ersatz 80s muzak - not noting any foot-tapping though!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Also it was a male masseuse!
Would that be a masseur, then?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
An upper deck seat will rarely stay unblocked
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Oh darn you are correct of course! See, so unused to it.

Great crew on the UD as usual (in my experience). No French red wine on the menu and was generously offered some from F. Feeling looked after!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So having been gold for the last 4 years, I am enjoying (genuinely) the change in routine today for my first flight out as Silver. A few observations:

4) T5B is heaven. This is nothing new and I came here quite a lot even when Gold but today there are a total of 15 people in here and it is zen-like in it's tranquillity. Apart from Little Drummer Boy a few decibels too loud.

It was all going so well but I have just seen that my TS seat block for 61J has been filled. Sigh. Silvers lose it first I guess. Musn't grumble.
My Dear. I have an utter aversion to Christmas music with the sole exception of Christmas Carols sung by a choir. I find the false jollity quite repugnant. I agree with your points but consider, you could have had someone fascinating sitting opposite. Not everyone is an anti-social, gas emiting, bubblegum-chewing bore. It could have been me.

Whoever had you as a seat buddy lucked out big time, you sound like fun.

what is a TS Seat block btw.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
what is a TS Seat block btw.
Theoretical Seating, dear. Something that keeps the adjacent seat free in Economy if you have status, I believe. Something like that, anyway.

For those who dont fly down the back, its obviously irrelevant. No wonder you were confused. Mwah!
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by T8191
“Theoretical Seating”, dear. Something that keeps the adjacent seat free in Economy if you have status, I believe. Something like that, anyway.

For those who don’t fly down the back, it’s obviously irrelevant. No wonder you were confused. Mwah!
Oh I see. So it doesn’t apply up in J ? I had no idea.

MWAW ! Back to you Uncle Baby.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Oh I see. So it doesnt apply up in J ? I had no idea.

MWAW ! Back to you Uncle Baby.
Sorry to contradict, but TS also applies in WT+ and J (CE and CW).

Doc Copper
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If it's the same Male 'therapist' I had last week in T5B, you should have got the facial instead. It was one of the best ones I had in an airport
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
t

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
Thanks. As we always travel as a couple in CE/CW the subject never featured in my thinking!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
And First too if travelling solo in the middle seating section.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Acid
If it's the same Male 'therapist' I had last week in T5B, you should have got the facial instead. It was one of the best ones I had in an airport
A facial ? From a male masseur...?

*Giggle*

(Forgive the juvenile sense of humour)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.