Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pre-notification of Shannon stop: BA286 (SFO-LHR) 10DEC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Up in the air...

Just got a message from BA notifying that my flight to LHR tonight (BA286) will make a stop in Shannon "for operational reasons" (and thus missing my connecting flight)...

1) Anyone have any idea what may cause a Shannon stop to be scheduled 11 hours before flight departs?
2) Any ideas if these are usually handled as technical stops or if they will make us go through customs in Shannon and then land in UK as an Ireland flight?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It is a scheduled technical stop but I cannot see the reason why, it is showing 90 minutes late into LHR.
You will not clear any formalities in Shannon and the stop will be as short as possible.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, GFL, GGL/CCR
BA286 rerouted via Shannon to LHR 10th December departure

Not seen this before so far in advance... but my flight back from San Francisco to London (BA286) departing 20.20 this evening 10th December has been rerouted with a stop over in Shannon. Seems very unusual to get the notification so far in advance (before the outbound left London today). GGL line could see no more than operational reasons at this stage so now coming back from San Jose instead. Any ideas why this might happen?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:49 am

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:04 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by TCX69
This route is usually operated by 3 flight crew, but today there is only 2. The re-routing to SNN will be for a flight crew change. With only 2 flight crew they will be unable to achieve inflight rest and will therefore not have sufficient hours to reach LHR direct.
This was the first thing that came to my mind, was busy doing a comparison between SFO-SNN vs LHR-ATL on timings to work out if it was possible, thanks for confirming!
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Unexpected stops in Shannon aren't unusual, but pre-announced ones are, I can't remember the last time this has happened, though when there is bad weather you can guess in advance that Bangor and Portsmouth may show up in the screens.

Speculation time: bad weather in London means inbound slots need reducing? ATC congestion? Strong winds and fuel burn? Crew hours? [EDIT: Turns out to be the latter, maybe a crew member was ill in SFO].

In those cases (and in cases where there is something like a medical issue) you would normally stay on board in Shannon, not much really happens other than perhaps some cups of water get passed around, and then you take off again. So no entry into the Common Travel Area or passport checking.

Here are the times that I see at the moment on BA.com, just for the record

Original times
SFO 20:20
LHR 14:55

New times
SNN 13:50
SNN 14:50 (bet it will be longer)
LHR 16:25

It will be good to listen attentively to the captain's announcement on boarding.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 10, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

New times
LHR 17:50

3 hour sector Shannon to Heathrow ? Surely not.....
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JeffBHD
3 hour sector Shannon to Heathrow ? Surely not.....
No, indeed it's not, 16:25 is the correct current ETA.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScouseAndy
Not seen this before so far in advance... but my flight back from San Francisco to London (BA286) departing 20.20 this evening 10th December has been rerouted with a stop over in Shannon. Seems very unusual to get the notification so far in advance (before the outbound left London today). GGL line could see no more than operational reasons at this stage so now coming back from San Jose instead. Any ideas why this might happen?
Great idea ScouseAndy , had completely forgot about that option on the 278!
Managed to get moved into that as well after about 45 min (patiently and politely) on the phone whilst the agent got exception approval from the supervisor (because "San Jose was so far away" - ?).
I can now make my original connection and still have dinner at home ^ ... plus I hear the 789 is better than the 777 in J (never flown the 789 before)?
TedToToe and ScouseAndy like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Costa Coffee
Originally Posted by FT-Diplomat
agent got exception approval from the supervisor (because "San Jose was so far away" - ?).
Just make sure you haven't been booked to return from Costa Rica
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps this is BA improving its Ops software. DL has been doing this for 5-6 years. Rather than cancelling or some other odd reroute, BA simply positions crew to SNN to perform that last short sector.

Might as well notify passengers as soon as possible.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Amygdala28
Just make sure you haven't been booked to return from Costa Rica
That was my fear as soon as they said “so far away from SFO”, but then the time and flight code matched so no waiting to board at the lounge
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by FT-Diplomat
... plus I hear the 789 is better than the 777 in J (never flown the 789 before)?
It sure is!
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
New times
LHR 16:25
Actual times
SFO 20:23
SNN 13:40
SNN 14:22
LHR 15:55 - only 60 minutes behind original schedule.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, GFL, GGL/CCR
Pleased it worked out for you as well @FT-Diplomat on the 278, as bonus it arrived early! I’m safely back in Manchester and on the earlier 15.15 connection, which was great. San Jose is normally my preferred choice as it’s usually a breeze to get through the airport, though the traffic is less fun. The crew on the 278 were great and I got to enjoy some LPGS and Dessert wine in Club which was a definite bonus. Pleased the overall delay wasn’t too bad on the 286 as well. All in all well handled by BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.