Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TPG Reviewer Sits in Wrong Seat, Blames UA for Subpar Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Speaking of race to the bottom, anyone seen the TPG review of EWR-LAX in Y? The reviewer paid $142 for E+ then sat in an E- seat by mistake. Just plain bizarre.

Missed the Mark: Review of UA 777-200 in Economy

The comments are the best part.
1P, EWR764, TravelLawyer and 9 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Yes, the comments are hilarious.
{..no one...} think this was a fair review.

Can’t believe how a travel blogger/reviewer can make such basic mistakes.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 10, 2019 at 12:39 pm Reason: dicuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Seriously, completely ridiculous, and he deserves the roasting. I honestly consider TPG the weakest of the review content sites these days, and am thoroughly befuddled by TPG’s broader strategy. There appear to be zero journalistic or writing qualifications required to join and write content. Still, this will likely cause trouble for the TPG high regent and the ongoing commercial relationship with UA - the entire Instagram feed on Giving Tuesday was filled with lame TPG cameos and propaganda. Hopefully UA moves on from investing any more collaboration time soon.
BearX220, st3, hurnik and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by leoo
Can’t believe how a travel blogger/reviewer can make such basic mistakes.
This is even worse than a basic mistake ... it’s like going to test drive a Ford F-250 and not realizing you’re in a Toyota Corolla. Then your biggest complaint is that the diesel nozzle didn’t fit.

Not only should the author be embarrassed, but so should the website for allowing this drivel to publish.
jerry305, dav662, greenpau and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Thanks for sharing -- definitely a strange review. Sets a pretty low bar.
dav662 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Wow. Worse than that other review where the guy said ANA Y is better than UA J.
ual744777sta and EWR764 like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think it's an interesting take. That's exactly the kind of mistake I could see impacting my mom.

I don't think it's reflective of UA in general though, because their GAs are always truthful and accurate, and would never suggest anything incorrect, like E+ and E- being the same.
greenpau likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What an idiot. Sounds like he doesn’t fly very often.
irishguy28, TPJ, narvik and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
And let's remember, the OP and everyone including myself has done exactly what they wanted us to do. The link got shared and everyone read it and even stuck around to read the comments. How do you think thats going to affect their clicks, impressions, bounce rates etc.? Stupid or evil genius? How many other people do you think has shared the link??? It's called viral marketing.
nancypants and davehadfield like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
All of the blogs are trash. They have ruined the miles game for most of us, and they spike any mistake far in minutes or hours. Their reviews are almost all trash.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: QF WP
It’s up there with my favourite TPG reviewer Brian Biros and his cunning carpet scam article
Statman and SeaHawg like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
TPG is alright if you stick to the "core" team's reviews, mostly Zach Honig and JT Genter now that I think of it... Brian Kelly has gone off the deep end and is living out his D-list celeb fantasy, and I kinda feel bad for anyone with actual journalistic integrity/skill on the team. That being said, they do have enough interesting/entertaining articles for me to read the blog regularly (while sifting through cc referral fluff post after cc referral fluff post).
SteveHK, Adam1222, m.y and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
"At the airport they had these really cool monitors that showed the aircraft's seat map!!!"

"I marvelled at the fine dining options available to me at EWR, as well as the glamorous method of ordering via iPad!!!"

"I was too stupid to even sit in the right seat because I can't read numbers, and then when I noticed that there were signs indicating that the economy plus seats I paid extra for were far further forward I did nothing except complain about the poor seat pitch of a seat I wasn't supposed to be in."

"The snack box food on UA was delicious, I wish I could get some of that where I live, but I wasn't able to fully enjoy it because I was parched because I was too shy to ask for more water."
Xyzzy, EWR764, neflyer13 and 13 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
It’s up there with my favourite TPG reviewer Brian Biros and his cunning carpet scam article
Great, now I had to Google that, find and read it, and will never be able to wash it from my brain. Thanks nancypants
irishguy28, nancypants and mdbe like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Great, now I had to Google that, find and read it, and will never be able to wash it from my brain. Thanks nancypants
it’s alright, there’s plenty of his other articles I haven’t subjected you to- yet! (Why does intra-EU J not have proper first class seats was another classic)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.