Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA - CAN-HKG-EWR - 11hr layover in HKG question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry

EDIT - TITLE SHOULD READ: UA - CAN-HKG-EWR

Hi

Im contemplating on my return back from Asia to EWR, taking a CAN-HKG-EWR flight.

The layover in HKG is 11 hours. My Cathy Dragon flight to HKG would arrive at 11:30pm, and my UA 180 flight would leave 10:20am next morning.

My question is there is nothing forcing me to stay at the airport by rule? I can leave, stay at a hotel, and come back in the morning to catch my UA180 flight home?

Sorry in advance if this is an obvious question, but I want to make sure before I ticket it

Thank you.

Last edited by elg26; Dec 9, 2019 at 1:16 pm Reason: typo in title
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elg26
My question is there is nothing forcing me to stay at the airport by rule? I can leave, stay at a hotel, and come back in the morning to catch my UA180 flight home?
Assuming that you have permission to enter Hong Kong, there's no reason you can't do so.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes, you can clear immigration, enter Hong Kong, and leave the airport. No problem.

Aren't there easier ways to get to Hong Kong from Guanghzou?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:07 pm

If the city is on lockdown, or protestors decide to picket the airport, I'm sure I'd wish I had picked a different route. Keep an eye on the news.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you can clear immigration, enter Hong Kong, and leave the airport. No problem.

Aren't there easier ways to get to Hong Kong from Guanghzou?
Kacee - great. What would happen with my luggage? Im booking the ticket through United...... CAN_HKG_EWR..... so my luggage would go right through? So I am essentially leaving my checked luggage at the airport over night?

Yes there are easier ways to get to HK from CAN.... the difference in fare doing CAN-HKG-EWR vs HKG-EWR is quite large....much less expensive with the CAN leg added... and I can enjoy the HKG_EWR in J at a discount...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
If the city is on lockdown, or protestors decide to picket the airport, I'm sure I'd wish I had picked a different route. Keep an eye on the news.
The airport has been 100% fine since the problems the first weeks of the protest. I've been through four times since and wouldn't sweat it.

I did stay at SkyCity when I had an overnight to avoid potential transit problems.
elg26, tcdtcd, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
Thanks...I was just there in October..... shouldnt be an issue at airport anymore....they have taken steps with security preventing issues anymore at airport. Im probably only going to the Skycity Marriott to sleep anyway which is right next to the airport
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:15 pm

What would happen with my luggage? Im booking the ticket through United...... CAN_HKG_EWR..... so my luggage would go right through? So I am essentially leaving my checked luggage at the airport over night?
That's a KA question. They might give you a choice, or they might say you have to pick it up at HKG.

Yes there are easier ways to get to HK from CAN.... the difference in fare doing CAN-HKG-EWR vs HKG-EWR is quite large....much less expensive with the CAN leg added... and I can enjoy the HKG_EWR in J at a discount...
Makes sense.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

That's a KA question. They might give you a choice, or they might say you have to pick it up at HKG.

Makes sense.
Ok, It doesnt matter to me....as long as I can leave airport and go to Skycity Marriott for the night, with or without my luggage, is my big issue. I dont have to spend overnight in airport.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Kacee - great. What would happen with my luggage? Im booking the ticket through United...... CAN_HKG_EWR..... so my luggage would go right through? So I am essentially leaving my checked luggage at the airport over night?

The airport has been 100% fine since the problems the first weeks of the protest. I've been through four times since and wouldn't sweat it.

I did stay at SkyCity when I had an overnight to avoid potential transit problems.
Thanks...I was just there in October..... shouldnt be an issue at airport anymore....they have taken steps with security preventing issues anymore at airport. Im probably only going to the Skycity Marriott to sleep anyway which is right next to the airport
I have been to Hkg 6 times since June. Was there just this weekend.
Hkg airport and vicinity is very calm. Protests are in city area now because there are checks to ensure people heading to Hkg on metro have departure tickets or airport worker ID. Protesters do not bother foreigners, whether Lao-wai or Chinese ethnicity. If you speak Mandarin, but want-need to interact with locals, start with English, then can switch to Mandarin if some of the locals don’t understand you. This minimizes friction with many locals who are anti-Mainlanders that only speak Mandarin with heavy Beijing accent.
Jackolee likes this.

Last edited by npei; Dec 9, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Ok, It doesnt matter to me....as long as I can leave airport and go to Skycity Marriott for the night, with or without my luggage, is my big issue. I dont have to spend overnight in airport.
I'm assuming you're a US citizen, in which case entry to HK is visa-free and pretty quick. So is emigration at the other end. You might look into an earlier flight to HK so you can go into the city and enjoy a bit of good food.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
As Kacee mentioned, airport/area is perfectly fine. But I’m not sure I’d go into the city for dinner. Not due to personal safety (assuming you’re a westerner), but concern over getting back to the airport/Sky City in a timely/hassle free manner.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
As Kacee mentioned, airport/area is perfectly fine. But I’m not sure I’d go into the city for dinner. Not due to personal safety (assuming you’re a westerner), but concern over getting back to the airport/Sky City in a timely/hassle free manner.
I get in at 1130pm.... most Ill be doing is having some drinks at the Skycity Marriott bar...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:34 pm

No problem with your plans since Visa isn't required. I've done similar - staying at the Novotel Citygate as an Accor Platinum - being the only difference from what you propose. Having also spent the night at HKG multiple times (after being ejected from the Cathay Lounges non-24 hour lounges), I think your plan is a good one.

I also agree with you, the chance of a repeat of August's airport disruption are virtually nil at present. We will hope it stays that way.
elg26 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

And that is the nub of it... sort of strange that UA - when they are dying for passangers on HKG-EWR (down to 3x week) is going to charge you less to go CAN-HKG-EWR - giving some of the $$$$ to CX, but fares make little sense.

Plenty of time, the only issue is if HKG is still in the midst of protests. The problem as others have said is not safety (this is assuming you are a gwilo) not a single westerner has been touched, the Chinese Army/triad have been told not to touch any westerner, and they have not. The problem is that you could have a perfectly nice meal in town and get out to find MTR and the buses closed. That said, you can probably find a cab, just costs a little more $$$.

Note that hotels are really cheap right now, you can probably find a much nicer hotel than at the airport, and for cheaper if you go into central or TST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.