Search

Transit time in SJC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Transit time in SJC

Hi

Flying F from LHR and arriving at SJC 1745 - Terminal B
Looking to catch connecting to LAS; there are a few from Terminal B with Southwest or at 1950 with Delta from Terminal A - will prob take Business/First as will have 2 luggage to check in.

1. Can luggages be checked all the way to LAS with either Delta or Southwest. If I remember correctly I need to take them out for custom check ?
2. How much time will I need for the transit. I have a feeling that I need to go through immigration and collect baggage and re-check in everything ?

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
1. No. BA simply won't interline on separate tickets

2. Yes you will have to go through US immigration, collect bags and then check in for you onward flight.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
You have to pickup luggage before customs and take it through custom. I know for sure you will never be able to get bags tagged for South West, for Delta it would depend on having both flights one a single ticket and BA having a interline agreement with Delta, which I don't think is true.
Circusplaza likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I managed a BA to Delta onwards to LAS at SJC couple years back - went with the 90min or so between flights and still had loads of time spare. A dream of an airport
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

On separate tickets you will need to check in again with the appropriate airline- BA will not check them through.

You will need to go through immigration , collect bags , pass customs and go to the next airline check in desk, I would check when the check in deadlines are for Southwest/Delta ( it could be 45mins prior to departure)

I'm not sure how long it would take to clear everything at SJC but if you miss the Delta/Southwest flight you may need to buy a new ticket.

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Forgot to mention I was HBO which meant I was outside the terminal in about 10 mins from Club
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply
Southwest will fly at 830pm, 955pm and 1050pm
Which do you think is best

Flying456
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

A lot will depend on your risk tolerance and the likely delay out of heathrow. I am slightly risk adverse so would probalby pick the 955pm flight assuming costs are the same but give some posters experience of a 90min correspondence then the 830 should be do able ( that might even allow for a 1 hour delay on the BA flight).

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
What time of year is this?

If this was winter I’d allow more time at both ends for IRROPS. The California ski season is off to a good start which means it’s been wet in the Bay Area.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
The 8:30pm. With Southwest you have the opportunity to re-assign to later flight space permitting. As long as not a Friday (possibly Thu too) then fall back later flights should have space.

I spend many bonus hours enjoying SJC concessions as always so quick; especially with TSA pre.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by littlefish
The 8:30pm. With Southwest you have the opportunity to re-assign to later flight space permitting. As long as not a Friday (possibly Thu too) then fall back later flights should have space.

I spend many bonus hours enjoying SJC concessions as always so quick; especially with TSA pre.

Flying in June
What do you mean by "..re-assign to later flight space.."
Can I simply change to a later flight if I landed late in SJC and know that I wont make the one I booked for. Clearly very different from Ryanair or Eazyjet !

All flights are at the moment just going for $70+
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Flying456
Flying in June
What do you mean by "..re-assign to later flight space.."
Can I simply change to a later flight if I landed late in SJC and know that I wont make the one I booked for. Clearly very different from Ryanair or Eazyjet !

All flights are at the moment just going for $70+
Questions about changing Southwest flights are best addressed in the Southwest forum. Here are a couple of threads from persons asking similar questions to yours and threads that address changing to an earlier or later flight:
Change fees, rebooking flight
Getting on an earlier flight if not full
A-List Standby is free for ANY earlier flight starting March 8, 2017
Same day flight change question
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Forgot to mention I was HBO which meant I was outside the terminal in about 10 mins from Club
That is my experience at SJC. Near first off from Club World, straight through immigration and bags were coming out. About 10 mins from leaving plane to being at the taxi rank.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by adfg
That is my experience at SJC. Near first off from Club World, straight through immigration and bags were coming out. About 10 mins from leaving plane to being at the taxi rank.
When we went last year summer in CW, we were through immigration, collected bags and out of the terminal in 30mins after leaving the plane and with a 3-year-old. When we go back to SF, I definitely go SJC again.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
International arrivals are technically Terminal B, but the walk from there to check-in at Terminal A is about 1/3 the length of the walk to Terminal B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.