Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Messed up. Big time. Sitting at 54 qualifying nights, need 60 for globalists..

Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP

And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count.

what should I do?

points and cash mattress run ??

or is globalist not worth it?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta GM (Former PM)
What are your plans in 2020? What Hyatts will you be staying at.

Globalist makes a much bigger difference at Park Hyatt, Andaz, Some diff at Regency and Grand's and not much difference at HH and HP.

So it really depends upon where you plan to stay next year.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by broncophil
And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count.

what should I do?

points and cash mattress run ??

or is globalist not worth it?
Are you currently Glob for 2019? If so, note that you might only need 55 nights this year to REqualify. Check the rules carefully as some status matches/challenges might have different rules.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And my dec Hyatt credit card cycle ended dec 2. So the rest of my spend doe Xmas wont count......
Isn't Hyatt credit night based on transaction date, instead of statement date?
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Glob, UA Silver
CC is based on transaction date, so could post in January and all work out (terms say may take 6-8 weeks to credit);
If you can find a cheap hotel locally I would probably jump on a mattress run; since still time to get in on 2x/3x points promo which if you find a $50-$75 Hyatt place would be worth the peace of mind personally vs. hoping for next $10,000-15,000 in spend to all post on time for 6 night credit.
See here for recent discussion on same topic
I believe you would need to check out before promo (Dec 15) to get extra points
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations, and we would definitely save money from free breakfast, waived resort fees and free parking (award stays) and lounge access on trips to full service properties.

Last edited by TrojanDomer; Dec 9, 2019 at 10:52 am
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by TrojanDomer
CC is based on transaction date, so could post in January and all work out (terms say may take 6-8 weeks to credit);
If you can find a cheap hotel locally I would probably jump on a mattress run; since still time to get in on 2x/3x points promo which if you find a $50-$75 Hyatt place would be worth the peace of mind personally vs. hoping for next $10,000-15,000 in spend to all post on time for 6 night credit.
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations.
Totally agree that it's a trade off for how much you value the Globalist benefits. For me, I went for it last year when I recognized that I would be spending 9 days in Japan and 7 in Australia, with three people, which translated into almost $3k in free breakfasts at fancy Hyatts.
TrojanDomer likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you currently Glob for 2019? If so, note that you might only need 55 nights this year to REqualify. Check the rules carefully as some status matches/challenges might have different rules.
no I’m explorist
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I normally stay and grand and park and Andaz. So I guess it would worth it.

My southwest cc is dec closing date. I figured it was the same with Hyatt?

can anyone confirm?

thanks

Originally Posted by TerryK
Isn't Hyatt credit night based on transaction date, instead of statement date?
As for worth it, I had to make the call and for me it was, since I will get at least $300 value from the T1-7 certificate and value the 2 extra TSU at probably conservatively $50-$100 each to use towards family vacations, and we would definitely save money from free breakfast, waived resort fees and free parking (award stays) and lounge access on trips to full service properties.
Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
Totally agree that it's a trade off for how much you value the Globalist benefits. For me, I went for it last year when I recognized that I would be spending 9 days in Japan and 7 in Australia, with three people, which translated into almost $3k in free breakfasts at fancy Hyatts.
Originally Posted by Neric
What are your plans in 2020? What Hyatts will you be staying at.

Globalist makes a much bigger difference at Park Hyatt, Andaz, Some diff at Regency and Grand's and not much difference at HH and HP.

So it really depends upon where you plan to stay next year.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:40 am

I would make something like my example table and try to add up what it is costing you and whether it is worth it (and whether you would have to spend unusually on next statement to try and get the nights to credit on your next statement, since you look to be $10,001 - $15,000 short).
Someone is working through same risk for 2 nights on the Main Thread -
In theory if you can wait until January or February for status, the credit card credits should all work out eventually, so mattress run is a waste in that sense, but not making globalist wasn't worth it when I did an example earlier this year. (this is just a random example for this week at a Tier 1, but wouldn't personally fly somewhere to get 6 cheaper nights), compared to paying a little more locally (holiday staycation?)

Globablist Value example
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:42 am

can anyone confirm?

thanks
southwest is different because they are points which are issued at later date and have a rigid calendar year for Companion Pass. The main Hyatt CC thread I linked (starting with post 1344) had someone showing terms and conditions and examples from past where the nights credit properly on the year they were earned based on spending (eventually)
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

can anyone confirm?

thanks
I will confirm that the points will post to your WOH account on 1/03 for December spend. For a statement date of 12/02 your next statement will be on 1/02 and it takes 24 hours to process.

That being said many people are speculating on how it works, rather than basing it on personal experience. I am no different. However, I can tell you that it will go one of two ways:

1) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added and you Hyatt retroactively gives you Glob Status, along with the benefits thereof.

2) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added but after a few days of waiting you see no change to Globalist. You reach out to Hyatt Concierge via Twitter or phone and let them know the situation. You send the quote of the terms and conditions of the WOH card saying that spend on the card with get credit for the year in which the money was spent. They research and after a little bit you are Globalist.

Those are the two options I see. Since it is in their own T&C they cannot turn you down, which is greatly beneficial for you.

For me on the other hand since my statement already closed for December I would hope they Credit and December spend to 2020 as currently I have 70 Elite nights and even if I spend 20k it would only bump me up to 78 nights as I have no plans to stay at another Hyatt this month.

But again either way everything is on your side as far as spend in December counting for finishing up earning Globalist.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Thank you

it should be quite doable with Xmas gifts

southwest is different because they are points which are issued at later date and have a rigid calendar year for Companion Pass. The main Hyatt CC thread I linked (starting with post 1344) had someone showing terms and conditions and examples from past where the nights credit properly on the year they were earned based on spending (eventually)
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I will confirm that the points will post to your WOH account on 1/03 for December spend. For a statement date of 12/02 your next statement will be on 1/02 and it takes 24 hours to process.

That being said many people are speculating on how it works, rather than basing it on personal experience. I am no different. However, I can tell you that it will go one of two ways:

1) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added and you Hyatt retroactively gives you Glob Status, along with the benefits thereof.

2) Your statement closes on 1/02, your points are added but after a few days of waiting you see no change to Globalist. You reach out to Hyatt Concierge via Twitter or phone and let them know the situation. You send the quote of the terms and conditions of the WOH card saying that spend on the card with get credit for the year in which the money was spent. They research and after a little bit you are Globalist.

Those are the two options I see. Since it is in their own T&C they cannot turn you down, which is greatly beneficial for you.

For me on the other hand since my statement already closed for December I would hope they Credit and December spend to 2020 as currently I have 70 Elite nights and even if I spend 20k it would only bump me up to 78 nights as I have no plans to stay at another Hyatt this month.

But again either way everything is on your side as far as spend in December counting for finishing up earning Globalist.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:08 pm

as long as you don't cut it close (spending on Dec 31 that doesn't actually post until January) or just missing the threshhold (people have been burned by counting an annual fee or have a return post) you should be in good shape
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I just did 11 night mattress run using points at a Hyatt Place (1st time seeing one) for a total of 55,000 points to re qualify. For me totally worth it - I generally stay at Park, Alila, GH and HR. It is also my 5th brand so I'll get a certificate for free night. I can't imagine staying at a Hyatt Place normally so good to get the brand on my record.

Unless I am forgetting something, I got a suite upgrade everytime this year. And full breakfast at 70% of the hotels after asking nicely. Breakfast alone at a PH with my family for a week stay somewhere is just about same price as the points I redeemed.

100% of my Hyatt stays are non-US. For me, it is absolutely worth it. I am not so sure about US stays as I have never found elite benefits particularly compelling at Hyatt or Marriott/ SPG.

But I'd recommend soing what it takes to re qualify for Globalist if you have 30 nights in 2020 at full service property. If fewer, then the 4 club lounge pass and 2 suite night awards at 50 probably enough
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Ask Chase to change your credit card closing date to Dec. 31.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.