Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Does it hurt your upgrade chances to use regional certificates?

Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

I am flying East Coast -> SFO a few times a year, and as a DM, my upgrade chances have been somewhere in the 30-50% range (not bad, considering the route). The flights are old-fashioned "F" flights, not D1.

Given the competitive upgrades on this route, I tend to use regional certificates. But I noticed recently that about a week before the flight, 5 or so "F" seats were available according to the upgrade list in the Delta mobile app. At the 5-day/3-day upgrade window, these seats got filled. On departure, no F seats are available. Initially, I figured that these are just people taking Delta up on the F upsell. But last week, I was told by a PM that they got upgraded without using a certificate a few days before the flight left.

I tend to be #1 on the upgrade list when using a coupon, but that doesn't help if the seats are filled pre departure day.

To add insult to injury: On my last SFO->ATL flight, the app and the display showed one seat open. But the gate agent told me that they can't upgrade me because the seat is blocked in the system for some reason. I was eventually upgraded after boarding because they needed my coach seat for a stand by.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Until the day of departure/gate, there are two types of upgrade inventory: one code for instrument supported upgrades (RUCs/GUCs and miles) and a different bucket for free elite upgrades, with separate waitlists. Then all available seats go into a single upgrade pool with a single priority list.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Might be worth a call to make sure your RUC is coded properly in the PNR. In the past there's been times when rez agents haven't properly coded the cert.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Might be worth a call to make sure your RUC is coded properly in the PNR. In the past there's been times when rez agents haven't properly coded the cert.
+1

I agree completely with following up. I noticed on the Delta app that another tab or "leg" for the same route will open up on my reservation with no seat selection for that leg of my journey. I was informed by staff at the SC that is a good way to know that the RUC was coded correctly. Has anyone else seen or noticed this on the app?
hockeystl likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Hepsaint
+1

I agree completely with following up. I noticed on the Delta app that another tab or "leg" for the same route will open up on my reservation with no seat selection for that leg of my journey. I was informed by staff at the SC that is a good way to know that the RUC was coded correctly. Has anyone else seen or noticed this on the app?
Yes. My experience is the same. And you'll see the same duplicate segment in the PNR when looking at the trip on Delta.dum as well. When I see the duplicate segment in the PNR then I'm confident it's coded correctly.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hepsaint
+1

Recently with GUCs, the second line shows either around T-36 or when the upgrade is processing.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently with GUCs, the second line shows either around T-36 or when the upgrade is processing.
IME with a RUC it'll show earlier if looking on Delta.dum

I'm currently wait listed for a flight this Sat 12/14 but still outside the 5 day window for a few more hours. The waitlisted segment shows twice on Delta.dum but only once on the DL App.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Another possibility: some agents uncheck the complimentary upgrade requested box when they apply RUCs/GUCs, because having that box checked can apparently cause issues with upgrades at the gate. It is possible that complimentary upgrade space opened up at T-120, but not RUC space (I admit that would be odd, but I wouldnt discount the possibility unless someone here who knows better than me says otherwise). If this is the case, going forward it might make sense to ensure that box is checked until just before check-in.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:58 am

I've been told that you can't have simultaneous requests for both types of upgrades simultaneously. It shouldn't matter much how early you request a free elite upgrade provided that it's done before your window first opens, but of course switching requests around does reset the time stamp for the request, which is the final tiebreaker.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I've been told that you can't have simultaneous requests for both types of upgrades simultaneously. It shouldn't matter much how early you request a free elite upgrade provided that it's done before your window first opens, but of course switching requests around does reset the time stamp for the request, which is the final tiebreaker.
Thats interesting; thanks. Ive just been told by certain agents to make sure the complimentary box is unchecked whenever a UC is applied.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by acrophobia
Thats interesting; thanks. Ive just been told by certain agents to make sure the complimentary box is unchecked whenever a UC is applied.
I've heard it both ways from agents. Both that you can only have one, and that you should have both to maximize your chances. I'm not sure we have a definitive answer here on FT. Seems like it should be something answerable, but there is a lot of misinformation about RUC/GUCs among the CSRs.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM
What if you want to ask for the free C+ (assuming you didnt get it at purchase time) and the RUC only for an F opportunity? I thought that was an option so youd think the system needs to be able to handle that case.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:18 am

Do RUCs/GUCs give one priority for C+? It would be tragic to waste one on a C+ "upgrade."
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Do RUCs/GUCs give one priority for C+? It would be tragic to waste one on a C+ "upgrade."
Yes, it's possible to use an RUC for C+. I've had an agent "generously" offer to confirm me in C+ when upgrade space wasn't available in F. If you do this, the RUC is used and can't be waitlisted for a further upgrade to F. Of course, I politely declined and waitlisted for F instead.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The only way I can see this being slightly useful is if someone dropped from PM to GM or below (so no complimentary C+ at booking anymore) and used an RUC to get up to a PE seat on the 777-200LR between ATL & LAX, which is at least roughly equivalent to using it for a domestic F redemption for a bigger seat on a cross-country flight, even if one doesnt get complete F service. Otherwise, yea, using an RUC to only get up to C+ seems like a huge waste.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.