FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: george77300
Print Wikipost

Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Talking Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?

There is a massive collective knowledge on this form and one that I have been very grateful for on a number of occasions. As we come to the end of the year I would like to thank everyone for help given to me and others.

However this did get me thinking - Are there any gaps in our collective knowledge? I know – too much time now that I am back home till after Christmas!

This then made me think – do the FT BAEC community as a whole travel on every BA flight? Would it be possible for us as a community to cover all BA flight numbers in a 12 month period? Maybe a challenge for 2020!
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hat tip to Nicky Kelvin over at The Points Guy UK - a mildly enjoyable movie albeit with a wretched soundtrack, so common on travel vblogs.

Anyway, the tasty morsel of info. With Basic fares, GCHs are entitled to an extra checked bag but there is a catch - you still need to pay the fee for the first bag
Skipcool3 and Arsey00 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Much more knowledgable folk than me on here when it comes to matters concerning BA. So a big ^ to them for taking time out to help others.

I'm fairly proficient at making asado though.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Another little thing I discovered this week that to my knowledge I have never seen covered here.

Travelling on a Basic fare out of London City recently I went to the bag drop and asked if I could check my hand luggage for free.

I was told that unlike Heathrow and Gatwick this can only be done for a £65 fee. The staff member was friendly and checked the load on the flight and told me that as it was busy they would be likely be looking for volunteers at the gate to check it for free (which they were).
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Akoz
This then made me think – do the FT BAEC community as a whole travel on every BA flight? Would it be possible for us as a community to cover all BA flight numbers in a 12 month period? Maybe a challenge for 2020!
Now this would be interesting... Maybe set up a Post with Wiki on 01-Jan and see. People add the number when they have done it?
expatboy, T8191, florens and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Akoz
There is a massive collective knowledge on this form and one that I have been very grateful for on a number of occasions. As we come to the end of the year I would like to thank everyone for help given to me and others.

However this did get me thinking - Are there any gaps in our collective knowledge? I know – too much time now that I am back home till after Christmas!

What about BA numbered flights but not operated on BA metal or vice-versa?

ML
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by george77300
Now this would be interesting... Maybe set up a Post with Wiki on 01-Jan and see. People add the number when they have done it?
I don't think it would take long for this forum to cover all of the possible options - it's a fun idea though!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:02 am

This sounds like fun. I can kick off with BA641 on New Years day (ATH to LHR)
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kingcole974
This sounds like fun. I can kick off with BA641 on New Years day (ATH to LHR)
I'll have BA242 covered by the 12th Jan, but guessing C-W-S or Karfa or one of the other mega FF guys will have already flown it 3 times by then.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Prospero
Anyway, the tasty morsel of info. With Basic fares, GCHs are entitled to an extra checked bag but there is a catch - you still need to pay the fee for the first bag
So if you pay for one, you're allowed a 2nd one for free?

On the topic of all flight numbers, is there a place where you can download the whole of the schedule? I don't mind helping out to work on the data if you know where to get it from.
Arsey00, nancypants and TTmex like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by alex67500
So if you pay for one, you're allowed a 2nd one for free?

On the topic of all flight numbers, is there a place where you can download the whole of the schedule? I don't mind helping out to work on the data if you know where to get it from.
Yes, essentially I guess you are taking an HBO and making it no longer HBO by buying a bag. Then you get the extra allowance

I say 'essentially' as I don't think the underlying fare rules change so to say.

Last edited by TTmex; Dec 9, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Life is so much easier when you just pay for CE/CW as a Goldie and just get on with it. Apologies for the DYKWIA moment!!

I do agree that the knowledge-base here is simply awesome, even though much of it is irrelevant to our needs. I mentally applaud the 'givers of knowledge' ... and you know who you are.
expatboy and Lefly like this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:24 pm

BA18 on 2nd January, unless of course an FTer takes that flight on New Year’s Day!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
This thread needs a wiki into which we can enter the flight numbers and dates and FT names. Who can create one?

EDIT I hadn't spotted that this has already been suggested. Great minds think alike

Arsey00, nancypants and TedToToe like this.

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Dec 9, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: Wiki already suggested
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Hat tip to Nicky Kelvin over at The Points Guy UK - a mildly enjoyable movie albeit with a wretched soundtrack, so common on travel vblogs.

I’ve never heard of this are you sure its correct or actually had it work?? As far as i’m aware this only applies if you actually paid to get the ticket reissued (paying change fee and fare difference) to update it to a baggage fare not if you just pay for an extra bag.

Last edited by Anonba; Dec 9, 2019 at 3:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.