Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is there actually any point having a physical Silver BA Card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there actually any point having a physical Silver BA Card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
Question Is there actually any point having a physical Silver BA Card?

I was just looking at my Silver card and wonder - is there any real reason for it? You have the card on the app if you need to show it (which I've never been required to do). Have you ever been asked for your silver card for lounge entry or anything?
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
You're right in general.
But for the same reason that sometimes local Kafkaesque interactions require a physical boarding pass with a particular stamp, it's not a stretch to imagine a contract lounge in Timbuktu has the same crazy logic around Exec Club cards. One day the technology and understanding will be there, but I don't think we're quite there yet unfortunately.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:21 pm

It may have changed more recently, but for the longest time, if you wanted to register for the Hong Kong e-channel immigration you had to have the physical card rather than anything electronic.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:00 pm

I was asked for the actual card to get into the Cathy Pacific lounge in FRA. Would not accept the boarding pass or BA app one.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
You rarely need any physical BA Exec club cards- but my card did come in handy once not long ago when my phone ran out of battery and I needed to get my boarding pass printed at First Wing. Flashing the card at the person standing guard outside First Wing allowed me entry- had I not had the card my entry into First Wing may have been more cumbersome.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yes - I have needed physical card (or at least to know my baec number) when using a BA lounge on an AA ticket. They were writing details on a clipboard due to some IT gap.

Not at all usual but it can happen!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
No have not carried my (AA) card ever
but you could leave it around where you sit to show your status or try using it in an ATM
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I find that oneworld is much better integrated than *A when it comes to not needing to show the physical card to enter a lounge. Can't remember the last time I had to show my card with BA or AA or IB or AY but I have to all the time with OS in Vienna even though I have LH FF status and the two airlines are both owned by LH. And with LO in Warsaw.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I can recall two occasions in the past few years when I have needed mine. Once was at the MH lounge at LHR T4 where the dragon insisted on seeing the cars as the boarding passes were not enough. The other was at INV when there was apparently an issue with the IT system that day.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I carry my card and show if required because I don't want to hand my phone over to someone else.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I sometimes use mine in hotels to keep the power running if I want to go out and take my real key with me. Not a great deal of use otherwise.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Scraping ice off the car's windscreen??
ENTP, becks1 and James91 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
MH Lounge LHR requires actual card to allow entrance.

Reason is obviously to verify expiry date...
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Scraping ice off the car's windscreen??
Haha!! I used mine on Monday at LGW. Thought I might need it last night but not necessary. Had to show it in Scotland in last year because of “IT” issues but can’t remember if INV or GLA.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Enrich
I recall that the moment QR contracted agent did not print my status on boarding pass in MAN, physical card become handy when try to go into the contract lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.