Wiki Posts
Search

What's the BKK issue? Does it affect F?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
What's the BKK issue? Does it affect F?

I'm in the process of setting up a family vacation cashing in some jokers and lots of Avios, and am considering somewhere like Phuket in August. This would ideally (but not necessarily) see us transit through BKK. And almost everything about that route seems to have hugely negative press here. Would I want to fly through a different Asian airport? Do the issues affect F?

And while I am at it, although this is not a BA issue, does any kind soul have a view on here about what this part of the world is like in August? Some way it is terrible, other say you just brave a couple of hours rain a day, and then have fun....
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The BA flight has in my experience been a 3 class 777 with no F - though no idea if that is changing or has recently changed. As to weather in August - it will
lieky rain every day but only for around an hour or so, with lots of sun at either end. Has never bothered me that much
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Fly to SIN or KUL if using Jokers / Avios, enjoy F on newish aircraft then short hop to HKT. I went in August ‘17 to Phi Phi and other than a couple of rainy afternoons weather was awesome. Friends however went a fortnight later and had rain almost the whole time
bisonrav and ppp909 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If you go to Koh Samui or Koh Phangan at that time there is very little chance of rain.
orbitmic and passy777 like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
That's all very helpful. I hadn't thought of Koh Samui. I'm coming in from TLV for complex reasons, and I see I can do USM with a layover in HKG. If the flight is ticketed by CX, do I get Avios and TPs, even though it is a Bangkok Airlines flight?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by DominicB
If the flight is ticketed by CX, do I get Avios and TPs, even though it is a Bangkok Airlines flight?
No you won't. The Bangkok Airways sectors need to be BA codeshare flight numbers issued as part of a longer itinerary with BA metal involved in order to be eligible for Avios and tier points.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
My tip is to go via Hong Kong, preferably on CX all the way.
:D! likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Lenis
The BA flight has in my experience been a 3 class 777 with no F - though no idea if that is changing or has recently changed.
It's changing to a 787-9 (with F) from June 30th 2020.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Schind
F cabin is not being sold however.
BKK is remaining as a 3 class route.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Schind
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
F cabin is not being sold however.
BKK is remaining as a 3 class route.
Hopes raised and dashed so quickly!
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The eastern side of the country is the best place to visit in August. Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Koh Tao etc.

Phuket is still in monsoon season until about October
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:30 am

Via Singapore appears to be the solution if the OP wants to use his jokers, fly F and earn Avios on the Bangkok Airways sectors:

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 8, 2019 at 2:36 am
Old Dec 8, 2019, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The eastern side of the country is the best place to visit in August. Hua Hin, Koh Samui, Koh Tao etc.

Phuket is still in monsoon season until about October
Indeed, though it is worth remembering that climate change is just that. You could certainly have daily rain in Phuket and even floodings, but equally, I've been there in the middle of July and August with not a drop of rain in two weeks. To be honest, even if it rains, it is most likely to be short powerful tropical rainstorms and dry most of the day, though the sea may also be rougher.
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Indeed, though it is worth remembering that climate change is just that. You could certainly have daily rain in Phuket and even floodings, but equally, I've been there in the middle of July and August with not a drop of rain in two weeks. To be honest, even if it rains, it is most likely to be short powerful tropical rainstorms and dry most of the day, though the sea may also be rougher.
And equally, I’ve been in Phuket/Krabi at Christmas/New Year, and the monsoon hasn’t finished and it’s been bucketing down. YMMV obviously
orbitmic and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Weather is indeed changing in this part of the world and this year as an example has seen significantly less rain (to the point where the water levels in the dams are too low for the time of year).

As others have said, it might rain for an hour or so every day but then it will clear.

Regarding the BA9/10 rotation there is no F and no plans for it - but the grief it gets here on FT is somewhat exaggerated if you ask me. I happily take it in J when going back to Europe.

OP, feel free to PM me if you need inspiration for where to go and what to do in Thailand
mikeyfly and Tiger_lily like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.