Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Forcing Delta to display China Airlines fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Is this possible? It seems like DL is trying to force me to fly their preferred partners whenever possible and I can't figure out how to get CI to show up.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:56 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Deltamatic allows (smart/trained/willing to help) agents to view any published fare on any airline. Pricing the fare is another issue as more and more airlines restrict pricing/ticket issuance to only their own plate/stock. If you have access to e.g.Expertflyer check the fare rule restrictions before calling DL. If there is no plate/stock restriction smart agent shall be able to price and issue a ticket.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Deltamatic allows (smart/trained/willing to help) agents to view any published fare on any airline. Pricing the fare is another issue as more and more airlines restrict pricing/ticket issuance to only their own plate/stock. If you have access to e.g.Expertflyer check the fare rule restrictions before calling DL. If there is no plate/stock restriction smart agent shall be able to price and issue a ticket.
I got EF not that long ago and still learning. How do I check with EF? Honestly, if CI earning wasn't so bad with DL, I wouldn't even bother trying this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:46 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
It will be in the fare rules, look for something like MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF CI

If you do not see anything like this, DL shall be able to price and sell the ticket.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
It will be in the fare rules, look for something like MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF CI

If you do not see anything like this, DL shall be able to price and sell the ticket.
And then the only way to book it would be to call DL?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 6:17 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
And then the only way to book it would be to call DL?
No, in that case the only way to book is with CI as the ticket restricts it's sales and issuance to their channels only (but you could probably also book with a TA/OTA if you wanted).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
No, in that case the only way to book is with CI as the ticket restricts it's sales and issuance to their channels only (but you could probably also book with a TA/OTA if you wanted).
I'm confused. I thought he said DL can issue it? The whole point is to avoid earning with CI issued tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Earning is based on the marketing carrier, not who issues it. Why do you need DL to issue it? A DL issued ticket with CI marketed flights will still earn at CI rates.
DiverDave and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 6, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Earning is based on the marketing carrier, not who issues it. Why do need DL to issue it?

Oh sorry, I didn't know. But if I don't order from DL and have a DL codeshare, then I'll earn based on CI right?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Deleted
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:05 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused. I thought he said DL can issue it? The whole point is to avoid earning with CI issued tickets.
If the fare has "MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF CI" in the ticketing carrier section then it can only be issued by CI or a travel agent.

TPJ said "If you do not see anything like this, DL shall be able to price and sell the ticket." (bolding mine). So if the above notation isn't present then Delta can issue it. Otherwise they can't.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:07 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh sorry, I didn't know. But if I don't order from DL and have a DL codeshare, then I'll earn based on CI right?
For earning purposes, it doesn't matter who issues the ticket. The DL or CI code at the beginning of the flight number determines earnings in the SkyMiles program. For example,

CI1234 will earn using the CI earning chart on Delta.com - https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

DL3456 will earn under the DL earning process (MQD and RDMs earned based on ticket cost, MQMs based on distance).
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TTT
For earning purposes, it doesn't matter who issues the ticket. The DL or CI code at the beginning of the flight number determines earnings in the SkyMiles program. For example,

CI1234 will earn using the CI earning chart on Delta.com - https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners

DL3456 will earn under the DL earning process (MQD and RDMs earned based on ticket cost, MQMs based on distance).
Adding on to this, the best mileage earnings are on codeshares where you book with a DL flight number, but it's a CI operated flight. Unfortunately, Delta doesn't have a ton of codeshare flights with CI, so they're hard to find.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: SkyMiles, United
So in this case who I would be earning MQM's and MQD's?
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eneq
Adding on to this, the best mileage earnings are on codeshares where you book with a DL flight number, but it's a CI operated flight. Unfortunately, Delta doesn't have a ton of codeshare flights with CI, so they're hard to find.
Thx. Is there a complete list of codeshares that DL have with CI? It would save me a lot of time from searching one by one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.