Wiki Posts
Search

GGU valid itinerary EWR-ANC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
GGU valid itinerary EWR-ANC

Hi flyers, trying to find an itinerary for 2 pax from EWR - ANC that a GGU can be applied to. This flight usually comes up as (EWR-SEA-ANC)

EWR-SEA leg is easy to find. SEA-ANC however only shows the morning flights as upgrade-able. (6:05, 7;05). So when searching for the entire itinerary nothing shows up.
Is this just not possible to do with one GGU code? Same for the return trip.. Cheers

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Any segments with more than four hours between them won’t be upgraded on single certificate. And SEA-ANC is elite heavy.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williwaw
Any segments with more than four hours between them won’t be upgraded on single certificate. And SEA-ANC is elite heavy.
Yeah, I was avoiding any flight with any layover of 4+ hours but seems to still be the case.

And even looking well into the future where the flights are empty result in the same?

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
SEA-ANC is tough. At least in my experience.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I found something like $540 for EWR-SEA-PDX-ANC ... it makes for a loooong day, and SEA-PDX is on a Q400, but you need to decide what’s it worth to you ...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ironically I've been seeing ANC-SEA but not SEA-JFK recently.

But yes, ANC-SEA can be very difficult... can get lucky too, but I've flown in the back a lot on this route in 2019
overlord207 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
I found something like $540 for EWR-SEA-PDX-ANC ... it makes for a loooong day, and SEA-PDX is on a Q400, but you need to decide what’s it worth to you ...
😅 that's a long day indeed. Flight is for my folks so looking for the shortest end to end times. May just go with the upgrade on EWR-SEA | SEA-EWR segments since they are the longest legs.

Do you happen to know if I do the segments are separate bookings, will they be able to check luggage through? I will be joining them in SEA for the SEA-ANC segment so I could add them to my booking for better upgrade chances or at least exit rows.

Cheers
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by overlord207
�� that's a long day indeed. Flight is for my folks so looking for the shortest end to end times. May just go with the upgrade on EWR-SEA | SEA-EWR segments since they are the longest legs.

Do you happen to know if I do the segments are separate bookings, will they be able to check luggage through? I will be joining them in SEA for the SEA-ANC segment so I could add them to my booking for better upgrade chances or at least exit rows.

Cheers
I'd keep one PNR for them. U class can still open, and then you can call to upgrade that segment (assuming they booked a qualifying fare for those segments) assuming flights are within 4 hours. Just my 2c.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
�� that's a long day indeed. Flight is for my folks so looking for the shortest end to end times. May just go with the upgrade on EWR-SEA | SEA-EWR segments since they are the longest legs.
yah — and just because AS hasn’t released U space now doesn’t mean they won’t later (although Mar isn’t that far away ...)

Cheers
yes, I’m 90% or more sure that they would be able to check bags all the way through at EWR (and at no cost since they would be in F)

as far as preferred/Premium seating and upgrades, I think you as MVPG can select seats at your window for all companions on the same reservation, but you can only list one companion for an upgrade ...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
as far as preferred/Premium seating and upgrades, I think you as MVPG can select seats at your window for all companions on the same reservation, but you can only list one companion for an upgrade ...
Actually, AS policy (officially at least, what you may be able to do with their wonky IT may be a different story) dictates that if more than one companion exists on the reservation, the reservation is not eligible for upgrades (to F or Premium). Upgrade FAQs below.

Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
yes, I’m 90% or more sure that they would be able to check bags all the way through at EWR (and at no cost since they would be in F)

Yes, only one for an upgrade. AS can check through baggage on separate tickets, but at outstations YMMV on the agent.

I'd keep them all on one PNR, rather than splitting at SEA for two reasons. No protection on a misconnect with separate tickets and can't apply a single GGU across both.

For the OP, if you use a GGU on the open segment, you'll need to monitor U space yourself (either manually or through a tool like ExpertFlyer) - there's no waitlist and the GGU will not be automatically applied nor is it ordered by status. You'll need to call in when U is open and have an agent apply it to the other eligible segment(s).

I'd also call Reservations after booking your SEA-ANC ticket and their tickets, and kindly ask if they can be moved next to you in the exit row/preferred seating section. Policy is that they have to be on the same ticket, but wouldn't hurt to ask since you're "meeting" them mid trip and not flying the exact same itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.