Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Watching the Academy Awards on a 777-200LR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

I am a huge cinephile and lover of the Academy Awards. I'm currently booking a trip that will unfortunately overlap with the annual telecast. This fact is KILLING ME! However, one of my travel options involves a flight on a Boeing 777-200LR, which seems to be one of the newer planes in Delta's arsenal. I wonder: is there any chance that the in-flight entertainment on this plane will have live satellite TV? (If so, any channels that might show the Oscars?) If there's no TV option, is the wifi good enough to allow streaming? I am committed enough to my Oscarphilia to pay whatever I need to pay to have a connection that's fast enough.

(If it matters, my flight is SYD->LAX and I'd probably be in Comfort-Plus.)

I realize this is a weird, highly niche question, but I figured if anyone would know the answer, it would be the folks at FlyerTalk. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Geographer612
I am a huge cinephile and lover of the Academy Awards. I'm currently booking a trip that will unfortunately overlap with the annual telecast. This fact is KILLING ME! However, one of my travel options involves a flight on a Boeing 777-200LR, which seems to be one of the newer planes in Delta's arsenal. I wonder: is there any chance that the in-flight entertainment on this plane will have live satellite TV? (If so, any channels that might show the Oscars?) If there's no TV option, is the wifi good enough to allow streaming? I am committed enough to my Oscarphilia to pay whatever I need to pay to have a connection that's fast enough.

I realize this is a weird, highly niche question, but I figured if anyone would know the answer, it would be the folks at FlyerTalk. Thanks in advance!
If I recall correctly, Delta only has satellite TV on its 737s and 757s (primarily 738s, 739s, 752s, and 753s). No aircraft that serve this route have live TV.

You should have Ku satellite WiFi for most of the flight, but this service does not support video streaming; only Delta’s newer 2Ku satellite WiFi supports video streaming. Delta’s A339s and A350s have 2Ku, but I think the range of the A339 is too short for SYD-LAX and an A350 would only rarely (if ever) be used for the route due to an IRROPS equipment swap.

I wish I had better news for you. You could wait to see if there’s a schedule change that would allow you to rebook your flight to a different day for free, or call Delta and hope you get a sympathetic agent who would be willing to waive the change fee.
Geographer612 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Most of the SYD - LAX flights arrive in the morning, same day because of the dateline. Are you actually leaving Feb 9th? Seems like the late flights are the Hawaiian Air ones. If you can stay longer in SYD, they are shown there on Monday night. I used to spend all day (in Sydney) Monday trying to avoid the news and newspapers.

Last year Hulu showed the Oscars a day later. You might be able to catch them there? They often show “specials” after the fact - but they are only available for a few days it seems.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Geographer612

FYSA, even if you find a plane with live TV feed, Delta doesn’t have ABC in its channel line-up, which is the channel that carriers the Academy Awards.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have a DVR/Tivo, you can record it, and depending on the service, you can then stream it to an iPad when you get to your destination (this would work on TiVo, not sure about others).
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by rucksack
If I recall correctly, Delta only has satellite TV on its 737s and 757s (primarily 738s, 739s, 752s, and 753s). No aircraft that serve this route have live TV.

You should have Ku satellite WiFi for most of the flight, but this service does not support video streaming; only Delta’s newer 2Ku satellite WiFi supports video streaming. Delta’s A339s and A350s have 2Ku, but I think the range of the A339 is too short for SYD-LAX and an A350 would only rarely (if ever) be used for the route due to an IRROPS equipment swap.

I wish I had better news for you. You could wait to see if there’s a schedule change that would allow you to rebook your flight to a different day for free, or call Delta and hope you get a sympathetic agent who would be willing to waive the change fee.
I was able to stream a Dodgers game on the upgraded 772 on ATL-LAX. It wasn't HD quality, but it got the job done. Worst case the OP can use "tunein" and listen to the awards show.
rucksack and Geographer612 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsagator
I was able to stream a Dodgers game on the upgraded 772 on ATL-LAX. It wasn't HD quality, but it got the job done. Worst case the OP can use "tunein" and listen to the awards show.
Do you mean a 777-200?

WheelsUpGal, unfortunately, I'd probably be leaving the morning of the 10th, which is right when it's airing.

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.