Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Should I try to get the MQM/MQD/MQS for the next medallion level?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Key benefits of moving up in status level, besides higher upgrade priority and more miles earned per dollar on flights:

Nothing to Silver:
Free access to preferred seats, including exit row on most aircraft types (except on Basic Economy fares)
Free checked bag
Priority check-in
Zone 1 boarding (actually the sixth zone or so to board, but better than regular coach)
Any MQMs over 25K roll over to next year -- if not qualifying for at least Silver, no rollover

Silver to Gold:
SkyPriority security and boarding (including on SkyTeam airlines)
Free same day change and standby
Lounge access when traveling internationally on SkyTeam members and Virgin Atlantic/Virgin Australia
Second free checked bag domestically

Gold to Platinum:
Free Comfort+ at time of booking
Free award redeposit (meaning you can cancel and change award tickets for free, as long as the miles were used from your account. Includes tickets issued for other people or tickets issued before you earned PM.)
Choice benefits -- regional upgrade certificates or $200 gift card or 20K miles
Third free checked bag domestically
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse access at LHR

Platinum to Diamond:
Free Clear
More choice benefits -- 3 choices, including things like global upgrades, various Sky Club access options, gifting GM status, 25K miles (up to 3x)
Board with First Class/Delta One
Free same day change to coterminals (i.e. between JFK/LGA or other pairs; this is an official but unpublished benefit)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, 1MM/Marriott Titanium

OK..just under three months to go in the year. I have well over the MQM needed for DM. Current PM, 1MM. Was DM two years ago and recently used my GUCs on an international trip (which my wife liked!) But here is the issue: I am $8k short on MQD...do not really feel like spending 8k to get DM, despite the GUCs. Do I just go into 2020 with 50k+ rollover MQM, or do I seek out some weird MQD mileage run? Do not really have time to do several mileage/MQD runs...
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Having 8k to go I would just stick it out and get to DM next year.
cmx and SLCEO like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, 1MM/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Having 8k to go I would just stick it out and get to DM next year.
That's kind of where I am coming down. When I was DM, I got exactly...zero upgrades! But this past year as PM, I have had a pretty good ratio (65%+). I think what it comes down to is...are you getting upgrades WHEN YOU ACTUALLY FLY? So if you fly a lot for business, you are probably flying when lots of other business passengers are flying and your odds are reduced. But f you fly for leisure, you are probably picking and choosing your flight dates/times. In which case, maybe better off buying via Expedia or VacationsbyMarriott and eschewing brand loyalty to airlines versus trying to meet MQD requirements. (I like VbM because on DAL I will earn MQMs, plus earn BonVoy points...but on Delta Vacations, I do not ear BonVoy….of course, you will not be upgraded...but if you want to be upgraded, can probably do so for cheaper given they get better fares than the last minute fares..)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:18 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
There are partner options that give significantly more MQDs than they cost. I've seen YVR-AMS-CPT for $3500 in business class, earning over $8000 MQD.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CKDGM
There are partner options that give significantly more MQDs than they cost. I've seen YVR-AMS-CPT for $3500 in business class, earning over $8000 MQD.
Last year I did JFK-PVG-DEL round-trip in J (China Eastern) for $2500 and it was also $8000 MQDs. There are lots of good options for MQDs on partner flights.
mot29 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SLCEO
That's kind of where I am coming down. When I was DM, I got exactly...zero upgrades! But this past year as PM, I have had a pretty good ratio (65%+). I think what it comes down to is...are you getting upgrades WHEN YOU ACTUALLY FLY? So if you fly a lot for business, you are probably flying when lots of other business passengers are flying and your odds are reduced. But f you fly for leisure, you are probably picking and choosing your flight dates/times. In which case, maybe better off buying via Expedia or VacationsbyMarriott and eschewing brand loyalty to airlines versus trying to meet MQD requirements. (I like VbM because on DAL I will earn MQMs, plus earn BonVoy points...but on Delta Vacations, I do not ear BonVoy….of course, you will not be upgraded...but if you want to be upgraded, can probably do so for cheaper given they get better fares than the last minute fares..)
I think you're confused. SPG and DL had the crossover program, but since the merger one can't earn Bonvoy/Starriott points by taking DL flights.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think you're confused. SPG and DL had the crossover program, but since the merger one can't earn Bonvoy/Starriott points by taking DL flights.
I think you're confused, poster is talking about using Vacations by Marriott, a TA, to book hotel and flights, and earning because of that. I'm not sure how it ties into what's being discussed.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Last year I did JFK-PVG-DEL round-trip in J (China Eastern) for $2500 and it was also $8000 MQDs. There are lots of good options for MQDs on partner flights.
I'm confused. Do you mean mqm? Not sure how a $2500 usd ticket can get you $8000 MQDs?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think you're confused, poster is talking about using Vacations by Marriott, a TA, to book hotel and flights, and earning because of that. I'm not sure how it ties into what's being discussed.
Oh, I assumed that VbM was a typo for BV = Bonvoy since DAL seems to mean Delta Airlines.

Do Marriott Vacations packages do any better than just earning on DL for DL flights and Bonvoy points based on Starriott spending from the package plus any additional eligible spending at the hotel during the stay?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:19 am

In response to post # 8 above:

On some partner flights, you earn MQDs based on a percentage of the distance (depending on fare class), not actual fare.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Oh, I assumed that VbM was a typo for BV = Bonvoy since DAL seems to mean Delta Airlines.

Do Marriott Vacations packages do any better than just earning on DL for DL flights and Bonvoy points based on Starriott spending from the package plus any additional eligible spending at the hotel during the stay?
VbM is an authorized Marriott TA, thus earn points for the hotel stay. This is unlike DL Vacations (who poster compared to) where the hotel doesn't earn since DLV isnt a Marriott authorized TA. Either way you earn DL miles for the DL flights. As this thread is about DL earnings, it's why I posted I'm not sure what bringing this whole thing up was about.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
I'm confused. Do you mean mqm? Not sure how a $2500 usd ticket can get you $8000 MQDs?
You don't book through Delta. Use the airline's web site or an OTA. If you have lots of AMEX MR's and an AMEX non-branded Platinum, book through them and pay with points. You get 35% of them back (International J only)
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
The way MQD earning on partners work is based on fare class and distance flown, so you can net far more MQDs than actual dollars spent on a ticket. This obviously only works on partner flights credited to your Delta SkyMiles number - Delta flights will earn based on actual non-tax fare dollars.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Any flight that isnt marketed by DL (meaning the flight number you book doesn't start with DL, even if the flight is operated by DL) earns MQD as a percentage of miles flown . This is due to fact DL doesnt know exactly what was paid. For certain close partners (AF/KL/VS/MU/KE) this can result in huge amounts of MQD on long flights. MU is generally one of the best, they have cheap business class tickets (approx $2k-$3k range) US-ASIA/INDIA/AUSTRALIA/NZ that thus earn MQD two or three times what you actually paid.
mattya9 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: DL FO
MQDs for Delta FO

I know I fly way less than most people in this forum, but I've never been a medallion member. This year I am going to get frustratingly close to FO: I'll overshoot the MQM requirement and be within $200 of the MQD requirement.

I seem to recall hearing about some peoples' experience being bumped up to the next medallion tier if they get adequately close--or maybe it was that they were given an option to buy out the last few miles?

Anyway--am I recalling correctly? Is there a procedure for bumping someone up if they're within a small margin of achieving status? Would it apply to lowly silvers?

Some benefits of silver status would be nice but I don't think they would be worth an otherwise completely unnecessary $200 ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.