Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Delay on AA2376 (IAH-DFW) Pax Refuses to Provide Seat Number

Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I'm sitting on AA2376 which has been delayed because of ATC, then MX, and now because a passenger got off and '"refused to provide them with his seat number." Apparently they don't know who is on the plane and who isn't. Surprised there is not more they can do. FAs just asked passengers to raise their hand if a "bald gentleman with white t-shirt" was sitting beside them but is not anymore. Why would it affect weights and vakances if they know how many passengers got off the plane even if they don't know the exact seat? Will see how this turns out. Already missed my connection.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:42 pm

It's probably a security issue regarding hand baggage that could have been intentionally left behind. Of course the seat number won't help with that, people can put hand baggage anywhere as they are coming in.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I'm sitting on AA2376 which has been delayed because of ATC, then MX, and now because a passenger got off and '"refused to provide them with his seat number." Apparently they don't know who is on the plane and who isn't. Surprised there is not more they can do. FAs just asked passengers to raise their hand if a "bald gentleman with white t-shirt" was sitting beside them but is not anymore. Why would it affect weights and vakances if they know how many passengers got off the plane even if they don't know the exact seat? Will see how this turns out. Already missed my connection.
The alternative I assume would be to take the manifest and go down the aisle and see which seat should have a pax but now doesn't. Seems as though they are trying to shortcut the process.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Captain just came on and said he's provided information to 'Load Control' in Dallas but "no one is listening and this seems to be symptomatic of the new American Airlines." Wow.
IAHtraveler and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Captain just came on and said he's provided information to 'Load Control' in Dallas but "no one is listening and this seems to be symptomatic of the new American Airlines." Wow.
Wow.

Actually I’m not wowed. This is typical AA at its IRROPS/delay/mx/insert reason here finest.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It's probably a security issue regarding hand baggage that could have been intentionally left behind. Of course the seat number won't help with that, people can put hand baggage anywhere as they are coming in.
In some parts of the world if a passenger deboards like this then everyone has to deboard and be screened again and the plane searched

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...-glimpse-stars

But what sort of idiot refuses to give their seat number? It just adds to the suspicions that they are up to mischief

And seat number just needed to properly deboard him from the manifest.
JDiver, wrp96 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I can understand the frustrations of flight crew as they experience what the pax experiences. AA operationally just isn't with it. Maybe a lack of resources (or in other words money spent on non revenue things).
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Landed in DFW safely. We left without going back to gate, so doubt it was a security issue. Captain came back on PA at cruising altitude and apologized again for delay. Used same language and said it was "symptomatic of of the New American Airlines. These delays are happening more and more often now."
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

...Captain came back on PA at cruising altitude and apologized again for delay. Used same language and said it was "symptomatic of of the New American Airlines. These delays are happening more and more often now."
Highly unprofessional.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The Captain sounds as though he has a labor issue with his employer. Unprofessional to say the least.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:26 pm

Honesty is a quality I appreciate in a professional, not necessarily blind corporate loyalty. The captain may have already tried to address these issues internally and come up against a brick wall. Management/Directors allowing a company's level of service to deteriorate to such a state where employees talk like this could also be considered very unprofessional.
GNRMatt, jlc201, Gringa and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Highly unprofessional.
I dont think so.

It takes a lot to get an experienced employee to that level of frustration and the only "unprofessional" i see is how current management runs the organization.

I bet this wasnt his first effort to raise the concerns but most likely everything fell on deaf corporate ears. Being professional shouldnt mean blindly following party line.
oopsz, KBMIFlyer, shuom and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: CK or bust
There is a time and place to air grievances but when in the cockpit, regardless of flight sequence, the flight crew should abstain from corporate politics. This is just poor form with any airline, not just American.

If only the same could be said about hawking credit card applications
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:01 pm

Highly unprofessional.
Nah. Honest straight shooter are the words I’d use.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Highly unprofessional.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve listened to some very testy captains over the years. Once after a lengthy delay over a printer problem, the Captain sarcastically announced that they had a crew, an aircraft and fuel but that the plane doesn’t fly on jet fuel, it flies on paper and we’re all waiting for someone at the gate to figure out how print a manifest.....
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.