What no Champagne!

Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

What no Champagne!

Yesterday I flew QR981 in J from Bangkok, and a new one on me was the flight went dry before even taking off !
Sorry Sir Platinum member, all the rose Champagne has been drunk!
This added to a very poor sector with stale bread, and only being asked once in 7 hour flight if I wanted anything!
Well at least my second sector to Birmingham went well!
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Georgetrout
Yesterday I flew QR981 in J from Bangkok, and a new one on me was the flight went dry before even taking off !
This added to a very poor sector with stale bread, and only being asked once in 7 hour flight if I wanted anything!
Ill be on that flight on 30rd November, so lets see how it goes then...the flight seems to be quite full in J.....oh ohhhhh ;-)
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Hope your going to give feedback ? & do let us know the response ?

Worlds best J class reputation can evaporate as fast as the Champagne 🍾.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm looking forward to Stockholm to Bangkok in April, and now you're giving me nightmares...
Traveller999 and Tofino87 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:09 am

same happened to me on a flight SYD-DOH last year! well, besides they ran out of champagne and it was all of it, not just the rose, the service was as usual! was no big deal to me, but was surprised to hear this on a 5 star airline.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:13 am

I had the same problem too, from SYD to DOH, in March this year, the crew were very proactively offering cocktails for boarding drinks, instead of champagne. After take off, we discovered they only had 1 bottle of ros champagne, which was used during boarding, so no champagne for the flight. 1h 30 m into the flight, and Sauvignon Blanc runs out too.... 13h left to go.... I wasn't very impressed, they do return bar trolleys form DOH, which for a 14h flight each way, does not sound good.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
From what I understand, champagne is return catered from DOH. So a heavy drinking outbound crowd + outbound crew who cannot say no will result in the above.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dfs24
From what I understand, champagne is return catered from DOH. So a heavy drinking outbound crowd + outbound crew who cannot say no will result in the above.
Fair enough, but running out of 2 main drinks, 1h and a bit after take off, it's disappointing, specially on a 14h day-flight.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Indeed. They should really start loading the drinks in a pallet in the cargo hold so that it's "out of reach" and is not limited by galley space. Slips my mind, but I seem to recall a particular airline doing that.

Either way, it's unacceptable. I've my fair share of the above happening. JNB-DOH rose running out immediately after take off, and LAX-DOH rose running out 60mins after take off.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
FRA-DOH run out on descent, got rose to plastic cup for landing , ATH-DOH was fine
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Well, well.

Never been a great fan of fizz & bubbles myself ...... but amazed nonetheless to hear this (and never aware of such happenings on any of my own QR flights)

Even had to check I wasnt still on the BA forum !
mikeyfly and NoY like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Very happy on all my flights.. they did not run out of G &T
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
So this also recently happened to me on a dps-doh route (qr963). Asked for a 2nd glass of rose on the ground but they were very apologetic and gave me a glass of Pommery instead. (I think had to do with the fact that over half the cabin was op-ups and you cant really blame folks expecting to be cramped in coach on a 10 hr flight celebrating on the ground with some pink bubbly). What was weirder was on a JFK-DOH route recently (QR704), they also ran out of rose on the ground and gave me a glass of Pommery instead, but the excuse was they only cool and open one bottle on the ground and theyd be glad to give me another glass of rose upon take-off. I ended up switching to my go-to dry vodka martini, so couldnt verify if this indeed was true, but I guess it makes sense.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:25 pm

With luck they are just running stocks down ahead of a Christmas upgrade on the fizz (I'm dreaming!).
SullyofDoha and Traveller999 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:16 pm

Wow... good to know this seems to be a reoccurring issue on flights not originating from DOH. Have a SYD-DOH flight coming up. I can be just fine with several different selections, but not really the point. Seems like an easy problem to regulate.

On the other hand, compared to flights on American that offer one (kind of nasty) red wine selection and one (kind of nasty) white wine selection in domestic F, QR's Business selections will still be so far above and beyond that, I'd probably not take much notice. :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.